Re: New Korg Analog Synth

Endfest wrote:

freaky bassdrums ]

yeah the bassdrums are massive !

@ TONY COPS: are you controlling it with cv/gate or with hertz/volt ?
    ... probably a stupid question, but i'm still sure i read somewhere it's supposed to be hertz/volt.
   I use it with cv/gate, but because my filter to cv still doesn't work like i expected i'm still curious.

My tech still has it, I think it's cv / gate, even though the original MS-20 in indeed hz/v

Endfest wrote:

I love this little beast & the sounds that it's spitting out. Nice to freak out with it in public transport together with my mobile & some heavy weight Dubsounds. Cool to create freaky bassdrums with it & to put as an external filter between a synth. Here a jam with some heavy Monotron filteraction:

http://soundcloud.com/endfest/vadertje-tijd-draait-door

zeer koele track W!

TB or not TB

And by CV/Gate you guys must mean V/Oct which is a type of CV as is Hz/V wink

I have yet no experience with those tiny machines, but it would seem odd to me if Korg implemented the CV using Hz/V since its inferiority to V/Oct has been well known for a long time. Then again, why would it really matter with such a cheap little synth. Don't know... It's true that Korg used Hz/V a lot with their legendary beasts, but not all, at least Mono/Poly has V/Oct.

Nerd Alert wink

Yes I meant volt/oct. 

I'm pretty sure I read it's volt/oct, I'll give it a try once I get it back.  I wouldn't be surprised if the oscillator doesn't track perfectly though.

These would be great with Volta or Silent Way, hook up a few of them for polyphonic sounds and have lfos' on the pitch and filter cvs', and a proper envelope on the filter at least.

TONY COPS wrote:

Nerd Alert wink

Haha, you got me there big_smile

yes volt/oct.... my nerdyness isn't full blown yet  big_smile

TONY COPS wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the oscillator doesn't track perfectly though.

mine tracks perfectly over 5 octaves.

Freek wrote:

zeer koele track W!

Leuk om te lezen Freek, geeft de prutser moed wink

Sogar die gr

Endfest wrote:
Freek wrote:

zeer koele track W!

Leuk om te lezen Freek, geeft de prutser moed wink

we moeten samen maar een keer aan de pruts smile

TB or not TB

Got one to.
We should start a band.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

One arrived so far.. Have to give that away as a present.. Mine should turn up in a day or 2.

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Hi I have got a roland JX 3P and was wondering what you guys reckon about running it through the monotron filter?

Would it be worth getting one for this application, to fatten up the bass?

cheers

scott_neon wrote:

Hi I have got a roland JX 3P and was wondering what you guys reckon about running it through the monotron filter?

Would it be worth getting one for this application, to fatten up the bass?

cheers

im not so sure about that. i have a ms-10 (same filter as monotron) and a jx3p, it's fun to run the jx thru the ms and it can produce some interesting sounds, but i don't think it fattens up the bass in itself. think of it more as an extra lfo/filter. probably more fun to run drummachines thru it.

but im waiting for a monotron myself. when it arrives i can make some audio tests for you.

From what I've heard the monotron isn't that hifi, you'll probably lose some bass in the process more than the filter will help.

you are probably right about that, those korg filters are very gritty and dirty sounding. that's also why i love them so much. if you want to sound like a million bucks, you better invest in one of the more luxurious filters out there.

you can get a boss ge-7 equalizer pedal for about the same price, very handy for turning up bass or accenting certain frequencies.

I wonder why the Monotron is described as lo-fi by analog synth collectors... hmm.

Monkey see, monkey do.

dunno bout al this lo-fi chatter, sounds good to me. certainly worth the money for the joy alone!

94 (edited by TONY COPS 2010-09-19 19:35:14)

@Biotek

because whatever goes in will come out with some low frequencies cut out in my personal experience with it.
You always say things in an annoying manner.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6XCj5LjOo[/youtube]
The filter's tone seems more defined than the MS-20. Which only makes sense since it uses modern components and chip technology.

Monkey see, monkey do.

whatever defined means, you might be right, but as far as bass goes, you can't tell in a youtube video.

Yeah, I guess both signals would have to be pressed on vinyl first before an objective comparision is possible.

Monkey see, monkey do.

biotek wrote:

Yeah, I guess both signals would have to be pressed on vinyl first before an objective comparision is possible.

eh????

99 (edited by TONY COPS 2010-09-19 20:00:20)

english electric wrote:

dunno bout al this lo-fi chatter, sounds good to me. certainly worth the money for the joy alone!

I agree, i think the input is a little lofi but still cool, but the synth itself is great, and the filter is dead-on!

TONY COPS wrote:
english electric wrote:

I agree, i think the input is a little lofi but still cool, but the synth itself is great, and the filter is dead-on!

I am gonna get another to get it modded. definitely. so i can actually play it in a more musical fashion