Re: Hart voor Detroit

Regards Omar S, I never got him either.
When the first FXHE's came out it was all about kudos and mystery rather than content.  Then everyone wet themselves
The lo-fi, minimal, farting-in-a-kettle sound never got me moving.

Shite DJ too.

@ mcr im not being serious, just a friendly punch in the arm.

regarding omar s a track like victim sums him up well. bassline, menacing but not cliche, drums, simple, sound like machines, and not like its made to sound like machiines, and the vocal is describing him and you at the same time, a victim of obsesssioooooonnnn. sexy in a bad way, which is good big_smile
totally hipnotic. music for freaks

Basic Aly wrote:

The lo-fi, minimal, farting-in-a-kettle sound never got me moving

i wonder how many who dont like it cos of this lo-fi squelching stereotype bought gesloten cirkel record for twisted balloon

I say; put you hands up for Detroit! like that shit raw  yikes

either house or detroit techno, between the patterns there's soul and thats what makes it so much
better then most shit in that kind of style. Some of the Omar S productions arent that special, but a lot of them are brilliant if you only take the time to listen twice even if not much seems to happen.
Omar S being hyped because of IF playing it sounds like a shitty reason to me, cant imagine

Even if Omar S is not your style, you have to give him some credit:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cMKwI6j-alg/SLVjawAgwOI/AAAAAAAAAM0/1jsKgDIsi8k/s400/omar-s.gif
http://infinitestatemachine.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/omar_s1.JPG

"A Real Music Hater"

yeah... the guy is a true freak!

what i love about omar s is how he has all the classic detroit/even some chicago elements but he manages to use them in a way you haven't heard before - no mean feat!

cuties don't exert

32 (edited by ytz 2010-03-29 13:11:22)

kyle hall on some stairs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCM9bNTXJyg[/youtube]

& he has his own youtube channel

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwxyuFyt73s[/youtube]

and here's that greg gow thing on transmat i was talking about

edit: couldn't find the original mix on youtube but there's the clip on godspill: http://godspill.net/?Page=Godspill_Deta … 1=00000680

aaand this marcellus pitman track drives me crazy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJVWfPpMN0Q[/youtube]

cuties don't exert

SUY wrote:

Omar S being hyped because of IF playing it sounds like a shitty reason to me, cant imagine

stupid... i-f didn't hype it at all
if i remember right he played just one track from omar s. once.. is that hyping?

omar s is a nice guy, i met him once and we had a talk about some movies and video games... and no attitude at all

you gotta love him, just for this :

http://www.omarsdetroit.us/prod.html

Vlam Aan

34 (edited by Mr. Maximal 2010-03-29 13:00:48)

I was just speculating about why people like Omar, not sure if IF even plays his stuff.

Listening to some new detroit stuff like posted above, thing I miss is varations in rythm. Where chicago has al dem rimshots and cowbells and toms and stuff an disco often has great bongo's and all kinds of "organic" percussion, a lot of the newer detroit stuff seems boring rythm wise, just bassdrum hihat variations. So that's I guess why I don't find it funky.

That said, i bought this on metroplex this weekend, but I guess it's not exemplary of the detroit sound.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjcbxtYF_bI[/youtube]

ytz wrote:

zubeldia

wow... that is so counter-intuitive... i had no idea people didn't like detroit techno on here.

i find it pretty hard to believe someone into den haag acid/electro would have no time for omar s, moodymann, theo parrish, rick wilhite, carl craig, shake, blake baxter, etc!

please read the last line of text in my last post again.. i do not really feel the need to defend my musical taste (and personality) here, regarding how and which records i buy.

is jeff mills detroit techno? then i like detroit techno.
is carl craig detroit techno? then i don't like detroit techno?

is tevo howard chicago house? what's this? i don't like chicago house anymore?
is larry heard chicago house? hey, i like chicago house again!

that's why i use the term 'in general', i like everything about tevo howard's stuff except the deephous-ish melodies, but only just that makes that i cannot listen to anything by tevo howard.
i just prefer the 'general' raw, percussive, oldschool, non-deephousy, acidy sound of chicago over the stuff that generally comes out of detroit. being said i lack a fair bit of proper knowledge about detroit..

36 (edited by --/~~~~ 2010-03-29 13:31:53)

ytz wrote:

zubeldia

wow... that is so counter-intuitive... i had no idea people didn't like detroit techno on here.

i find it pretty hard to believe someone into den haag acid/electro would have no time for omar s, moodymann, theo parrish, rick wilhite, carl craig, shake, blake baxter, etc!

for me detroit is number one

anyone heard the greg gow thing on transmat? a side quality derrick may-style business i thought

To me techno and electro are two opposite worlds in electronic music. Although i liked some eurotechno in my youth i have never "felt" detroit techno. It's just too diametrically opposed to what i like in electronic music. The only detroit stuff i like (outside the wave inspired music like dopplereffekt & adult) is the pre-derrick may stuff like sharivari, cybotron and no ufo's. Strings of life may have soul (to some) but it sure as hell doesnt got funk. I just wish people would let go of their racial prejudices and be honoust. Elevator my ass!

--/~~~~ wrote:

Elevator my ass!

lol

.."this world`s a bubble"..

it's sad to see this discussion is turning into kaos and ego tripping again
please stay with the essence of the topic..

i'm not telling people what to buy, i just said that there's good HOUSE music coming from detroit.. if you like it or not..

and you just can't compare detroit house from now with chicago house from the eighties.. it's completely different..

and yes omar s hasn't got any rimshots, cowbells or whatever in his music, because there's a different influence

and you don't say the music has soul or not.. soul isn't just a word it's a feeling..

Vlam Aan

zubeldia

woah... way to fly off on one. i'm not calling you names, dissing you or anything i'm just saying i didn't even *know* that some people around here didn't like carl craig... man's a don in my eyes, that's all i'm saying

--?~~~~

I just wish people would let go of their racial prejudices and be honoust. Elevator my ass!

don't smoke crack near the computer!

didn't yo mama teach you anythin?

cuties don't exert

40 (edited by Zubeldia 2010-03-29 14:03:21)

like i said in the 'new music sucks' topic, (also considering my age) i still discover tons of old gems every week, so i tend to focus (too much) on the stuff i like at this very moment. right now that's pretty much early chicago house and a bit of disco/italo. the 1992-1998 period is still a bit of a blind spot for me.. that specifically goes for older techno, all house except old chicago just isn't my thing.

I've only been properly listening to/discovering good music and buying vinyl since late 2007/early 2008, so i'm still taking small steps here  tongue

because i have a broader taste then is good for me, i just haven't got round to properly explore 'detroit' yet. most things detroit i happened to encountered so far (few exception, but electro), haven't quite gotten my juices flowing... hence no priority and no hard feelings regarding the discussion here  :]

pffff.. seeing this makes me sick.. moderators please close this topic.. it's not going anywhere..

Vlam Aan

didn't you grow already some hair on your chest marco? (as we say in italy)

smile

good old fashioned gospel house

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE49Ccc-vZg[/youtube]

funky and soulful

came out january this year

i can't think of a funkier or more soulful house record from 2010

cuties don't exert

maybe i'm a pussy if that's what you're saying, big_smile but i hate this ego tripping and throwing dirt to each other
has nothing to do with my topic, and music, just like in the old cbs days and on global darkness maybe i should leave here, it's boring anyway

Vlam Aan

45 (edited by Mr. Maximal 2010-03-29 14:06:58)

C'mon, a little pointless argueing about music keeps the forum alive. BTW, maybe some of the youtube stuff post will convert me to the Omar sound, cos I quite like the track ytz posted.

that Kyle Hall is mad talented, great videos.

I listen to that Greg Gow thing on Transmat the other day in rubadub..i left it on the shelf, it felt abit trancey & shiny...dunno, just didn't grab me. No accounting for taste, i find Omar s stuff really quite hypnotic. i do find it rather patronising accuse ppl of only liking things because of hype or watever.

you keep spinning that shit marco ....Detroit forever man

Let's get Dumb

DumbBot wrote:

i do find it rather patronising accuse ppl of only liking things because of hype or watever.

Right you, outside! smile
I know people will buy stuff cos they like it no matter, but lots feed off hype, in any genre.
The whole:
'limited limited'
'hand witten special copy'
'from mystery Detroit producer'
'his BALL touched this copy'
The blubs did get ridic.

Dunno what they're like now as I just bypass them cos of that

Need to see Mike Huckaby.  More my cuppa.

more boring looped samples big_smile
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5eV7Nqsal0[/youtube]

DumbBot wrote:

i do find it rather patronising accuse ppl of only liking things because of hype or watever.

agreed too. You could also say then intergalactic fm or the clone top 10 created the hype. tongue

--/~~~~ wrote:

To me techno and electro are two opposite worlds in electronic music. Although i liked some eurotechno in my youth i have never "felt" detroit techno. It's just too diametrically opposed to what i like in electronic music. The only detroit stuff i like (outside the wave inspired music like dopplereffekt & adult) is the pre-derrick may stuff like sharivari, cybotron and no ufo's. Strings of life may have soul (to some) but it sure as hell doesnt got funk. I just wish people would let go of their racial prejudices and be honoust. Elevator my ass!

All ok man, but on the hand of the last 2 sentences you're writing here I get the feeling you're taking this way more serious than it's meant. Kuczera isn't trying to patronise people into listening to detroit, he's just interested in the fact that people don't listen to a style of music that for him feel's strongly related to "electro", chi-house and whatever else.

Ain't no battlefield here where every opinion is granted for bare coin, just exchanging different views (it's a form of enrichment actually).

50 (edited by --/~~~~ 2010-03-29 16:13:13)

@score100: likewise i disagree with that opinion and share my view as well. Isnt that what discussion is about?

i explain why i for one dont listen to (detroit) techno, although i understand the main focus was detroit house.