Re: Hart voor Detroit

"I just wish people would let go of their racial prejudices and be honoust"

You are the only one bringing up the racial topic.
I wonder why?...have you met people here that only listen to music or genres that is made by white men or something.
Otherwise I don't have a clue what your talking about

yeah that racial thing... odd

cuties don't exert

MenschMaschine wrote:

"I just wish people would let go of their racial prejudices and be honoust"

You are the only one bringing up the racial topic.
I wonder why?...have you met people here that only listen to music or genres that is made by white men or something.
Otherwise I don't have a clue what your talking about

Before i derail this thread much further i will respond and then shut up: detroit techno music to me removed the funk out of electronic music. The fact that Derrick May and the general consensus seem to think otherwise to me has a racial pejudice contained in the sense that black people by definition make funky music. My apologies to kuczera if i totally derailed his thread by now.

Tried some "new" Detroit now and then but it didn't do it for me. So goes that... But if you think gotta keep the Detroit-flame burning then just keep on doing that kuczera. I'm sure you can get people (or even me) more into this genre.

"Are you loving?"

ik was eigenlijk al aan het wachten op je reactie scarface, duurde lang big_smile

Vlam Aan

me too

the new stuff is nice , the old stuff is better and aux 88 are gods  cool

ancestors from another galaxy

kuczera wrote:

ik was eigenlijk al aan het wachten op je reactie scarface, duurde lang big_smile

Ja, heb er eigenlijk geen uitgsproken mening over maar dacht laat ik er toch maar "iets" over zeggen. Waarschijnlijk ben ik meer iemand voor de onweerstaanbare "classics" die ongetwijfeld nu ook gemaakt worden in Detroit. Maar ja, je moet er wel op gewezen worden natuurlijk. En daar is dit forum dan weer voor maar te weinig dus naar jouw smaak...

"Are you loving?"

There's no town like D Town when it's really time to throw down wink

DJ's there know their shit or get run out of the scene--really. They know their history and have the skills. Some of the best djing I have ever seen is from Detroit cats. Dunno, it's mostly emotional for me. Like "no way! they did not just play that or make that transition" and there I am, tired but not being able to stop dancing...lol.

Producers: yeah, I been buying Omar S stuff for a while now and give it full support.
DJ's like Mike Huckaby, Mike Servito, Plaslaiko, BMG, Pat Russell and AOS, too. I'd rather pay to go hear them than 99% of what else is out there. Most of my best DJ set memories are from parties in Detroit or parties when Detroit-raised DJ's were playing. <nothing rational about it>

+ Carlos Souffront

Yes, absolutely +Carlos Souffront!

metro-nome wrote:

DJ's there know their shit or get run out of the scene--really. They know their history and have the skills. Some of the best djing I have ever seen is from Detroit cats. Dunno, it's mostly emotional for me. Like "no way! they did not just play that or make that transition" and there I am, tired but not being able to stop dancing...lol.

I share your love for the D but unlike you I have never been - interested to read that bit about the DJ skills tho; while Derrick May (most famous example) is obviously incredible around a mixer, I've been to places where KDJ and Carl Craig have been on the decks, and their "skills" revolve around a bit of EQing, now and then, the mix isn't in time or key. It's not a problem for me, but this whole "bad DJs get run out of town" angle: do Carl and Kenny get free passes cos of their production skills/standing in the scene? Or did I just catch them on a bad night?

cuties don't exert

kenny dixon sure is some guy, i remember him playing the same record twice, just because he thought it was to short
gotta give him credit to that.. not the best skills but sure a good dj in a way

Vlam Aan

yeah i love him as a DJ... that was a DEMF set, wasn't it?

cuties don't exert

yeah i believe so, not sure though

Vlam Aan

I love detroit stuff. Buy quite some new stuff at clone every month.
Plenty of good stuff coming out that fit my house vibe these days.

well now for those ones here who agree that detroit rawks to death, let's have some musical orgasms again. tongue

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlSRANbKJRY[/youtube]

sums up what detroit techno means for me very precise.
As said, terrence dixon rocks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bISOhHbw … re=related
this one's amazong too.

I fully agree with stentec. Lots of good new stuff coming from detroit (or at least carries similar sound signature). Keith Worthy and his Aesthetic Audio imprint is another one worth mentioning. Terrence Dixon is another personal favorite and ofcourse Omar-S, Theo, Rick Wilhite and.. and...

Heil CBS

Big Detroit fan over here. I love techno, electro & house from Detroit. Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Kenny Larkin, Carl Craig, Anthony Shakir, Aril Brikha, Drexciya & projects,  D.I.E., The Detroit Escalator Company, Moodymann, Theo Parrish, Andres, beatdown stuff,... I love that melancholic Detroit sound. You hear this music comes from a city in decay, where the music expresses the longing for a better future or envisions another world.

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

dumbbot posted uploads to two derrick may bbc radio show a while back in case anyone missed them

http://www.robotsforrobots.net/viewtopic.php?id=3896

http://www.robotsforrobots.net/viewtopi … 993#p97993

some great quotes in there, i love that guy "i'd love to hear from you, but please no requests."

i got the omar s fabric mix, was wondering if anyone had any links to any other fxhe mixage? omar s, marcellus pittman, any of that... would be much appreciated

cuties don't exert

Klart wrote:

Big Detroit fan over here. I love techno, electro & house from Detroit. Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Kenny Larkin, Carl Craig, Anthony Shakir, Aril Brikha, Drexciya & projects,  D.I.E., The Detroit Escalator Company, Moodymann, Theo Parrish, Andres, beatdown stuff,... I love that melancholic Detroit sound. You hear this music comes from a city in decay, where the music expresses the longing for a better future or envisions another world.

+1  big_smile

Welcome to the Future...

ytz wrote:
metro-nome wrote:

I share your love for the D but unlike you I have never been - interested to read that bit about the DJ skills tho; while Derrick May (most famous example) is obviously incredible around a mixer, I've been to places where KDJ and Carl Craig have been on the decks, and their "skills" revolve around a bit of EQing, now and then, the mix isn't in time or key. It's not a problem for me, but this whole "bad DJs get run out of town" angle: do Carl and Kenny get free passes cos of their production skills/standing in the scene? Or did I just catch them on a bad night?

Haha, I am not sure smile I'm not from the D but party there a bit and see a lot of the working Detroit DJ's here in NY.

I don't think anyone gets a free pass, but the guys I mentioned above are more who I try to catch when they are in NY or I am in Detroit. I have not sought out Carl Craig in quite some time, and last time I saw Juan Atkins he was trainwrecking a lot too. KDJ, as far as I know, does a lot of crazy random stuff behind the decks like tons of shout-outs and pretending he is a radio announcer and stuff. It seems like he is more of a performer and has an artistic persona and stuff -- though I haven't seen him play in person.

I guess for "new detroit" I was meaning the people who dj very frequently in Detroit, or in NY now--as a few of them have moved here. The real workaday party dj's who gotta think on their feet.

73 (edited by byron 2010-03-31 17:06:40)

hopefully this will cheer you up kuczera
enjoy
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQfbh_nDSdU[/youtube]

edit, man those elevate records are going for crazy money on discogs. i got one at home with puke on the cover.
wonder how much that will affect its value?

keep hackney crap

74 (edited by black shape 2010-03-31 19:13:24)

@ytz

check under omar s here for more mixes
http://www.mezerik.com/bonus_mixes/

coolex thanks man!

cuties don't exert