Re: Films that get critical acclaim but are rubbish!

jayoverdose wrote:

there will be blood

I agree on. I really wanted to like it too. It lacked likable characters or something

ramos wrote:
Squadra Smackos wrote:
ramos wrote:

Have you guys seen Dark Knight?  Great movie, and it deserves all the hype IMO.

I am allergic to Batman so I won't see it

fair enough, at least watch Batman Returns though, it might surprise you....

The Dark Knight is truly awesome - I was a bit dubious about all the hype, but it is really, really good, and although Heath Ledger has taken Jack Nicholson's performance and then twisted it into much, much darker territories - he is amazing in it

Most these posts are about personal taste which can be discussed like foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever...............if you feel like it. I don't.

"Are you loving?"

I think Scarface is overrated.

Breaker wrote:
ramos wrote:
Squadra Smackos wrote:

I am allergic to Batman so I won't see it

fair enough, at least watch Batman Returns though, it might surprise you....

The Dark Knight is truly awesome - I was a bit dubious about all the hype, but it is really, really good, and although Heath Ledger has taken Jack Nicholson's performance and then twisted it into much, much darker territories - he is amazing in it

Agreed, I' m somewhat of a massive cynic and The Dark Knight certainly lived up to its massive 'hype machine'. Its a 'must see' film for sure.

EliasRafael wrote:

German movies are generally overrated, but we really don't make any good ones :-(

das boot is one of my alltime favorites

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

Mr. Maximal wrote:

I think Scarface is overrated.

That does not mean it's not good.

"Are you loving?"

True!

i like scarface more than carlito but i like Sonny Wortzik more than scarface

I kinda like Carlito's Way more than Scarface - don't know why - maybe because Scarface is all there in the title, where as Carlito's has a little bit more depth I suppose. Both legendary films though. As is the Pusher trilogy

i like pacino best in older movies and in donnie brasco because he's such a shmuck, i got cancer in the prick-classic

true - Pacino as an old timer is great to watch - he conveys a lot of wisdom - suits him, he doesn't quite cut it in Godfather - too young and it's all about Marlon and Robert

113 (edited by mina v. 2008-08-07 15:54:52)

i think virgin suicides is sofia coppola's only good movie and it's based on a good book.
most everything by harmony korine is HORRIBLE, only Julien Donkey Boy was ok cos of the whole Werner Herzog as the dad and the dogma style.
oh, and i liked control, and i was really skeptical, but c'mon samantha morton is great always.
american psycho is the worst movie ever though, i could barely even sit through it, it was so boring.

Breaker wrote:

true - Pacino as an old timer is great to watch - he conveys a lot of wisdom - suits him, he doesn't quite cut it in Godfather - too young and it's all about Marlon and Robert

true, although i think he was shit-hot in the panic in needle park, powerful grimness.

obviously everything being down to personal opinion here...

but scarface is awesome tongue

Attica! Attica!

Scarface is far from rubbish.

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

slightly off topic - but I have just been struck at the weird helmet-like solidity of George Lucas' hair

it freaks me out

David Lynch production after Elephant Man

BMX wrote:

Uh yeah, and PI wasnt very good either really, it becomes really dumb pretty fast.

I liked PI. Story turns out to be boring, but that settings/style is nice.

I thought not many people know that movie, so how can it be overrated?

120 (edited by Vomatron 2008-08-07 21:45:07)

Because its overrated in artsy pseudo intellectual circles, and spreading outwards. I myself didnt last more than 15 minutes of it.

Clerks + several follow up "talk movies" should be mentioned too...i hate overdone movies about 'normal' people philosophizing about ridiculous things for hours. Much worse than tarantino. And might as well mention the horror known as Waking Life as top candidate as well

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."

I like clerks but I'm with you in that I found pretty much everything he did afterward to be unwatchable...

Ugh..  Rotoscope + Uncanny valley = waking life. Horterrible. I for one liked dazed and confused tho.

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

YES
'waking life' is easily the worst movie ever made. anyone who thinks that movie is 'deep' has some problems...

and i totally agree on the 'clerks' tip - kevin smith has not made a watchable film. another one i really can't stand 'swingers', people seem to really like that one..
one of the worst movies i've seen in recent memory is 'lucky number slevin'....as contrived and calculated as tarantino, sans an ounce of cohesive script writing or charm...i found myself cringing every 35 seconds...

lets bitch on the classics now:

Citizen Kane
saw it many times because of classes i had in school... never liked it.
i just feel people like it because they've been told its such a big classic. It may has changed cinema forever because of many reasons... bottom line: i'm just bored by it.

EliasRafael wrote:

German movies are generally overrated, but we really don't make any good ones :-(

que? there are plenty of good german films, e.g.  Das Boot, Der Untergang, most of Werner Herzog's films.