Re: Films that get critical acclaim but are rubbish!

Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door
and they call it an horror film
difficult to watch...

rimini wrote:

The origins of this thread came from the fact that I saw the Joy Divison film 'Control' and was utterly appalled by how bad it was. I could not believe the reviews i subsequently read pre and post watching the film. Had they seen the same film? I had not read, of have since come across, a mainstream negative critique of the film! and what I mean by mainstream is published magazines and newspapers with a wide circulation.

Finally saw this on the weekend after hearing nothing but good about it, and I have to say I agree. It felt like it brushed over the surface of everything without going into any real depth, the actress playing Annik Honor

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

jayoverdose wrote:

there willbe blood, goddamn annoying soundtrack

I just watched this to my mistake.
It was like wasting my time on bad company - did only make me feel bad and disgusted. Maybe it was somesort of educational film for greedy oilmen?

muumi wrote:
jayoverdose wrote:

It was like wasting my time on bad company - did only make me feel bad and disgusted. Maybe it was somesort of educational film for greedy oilmen?

i liked it, even though it's basically just daniel dae lewis going over the top for 3 hrs.

i did not care for that other similar long-film-about-nothing, no country for old men. no sir.

HeadphoneMagnet wrote:
muumi wrote:
jayoverdose wrote:

i liked it, even though it's basically just daniel dae lewis going over the top for 3 hrs.

i did not care for that other similar long-film-about-nothing, no country for old men. no sir.

there will be blood=pretentious tv film

burp

Arcade Lobo wrote:
HeadphoneMagnet wrote:
muumi wrote:

there will be blood=pretentious tv film

the religious kid made me want to barf, but i liked the oppressing atmosphere of the film.

i made it half way through 'there will be blood' last night
i wasn't looking forward to it after reading comments above but so far i have really enjoyed it, and so far daniel day lewis hasn't been over the top
lets see what happens after intermission...

keep hackney crap

I loved it byron.

Mmh... but hey Robots, what you think Control lacks then, be a little more specific...

Saw Romero's Diary of the dead, and I was very entertained on the tip of my couch enjoying!

Strictly Rockaas

meschi wrote:

I loved it byron.

apart from the non-ending it was superb. really glad i watched it

keep hackney crap

no irritation levels through the roof because of the most annoying soundtrack ever?

plobelobelo ping pong takketaketak pip bzzz tikke tikke

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

funny you say that, my girlfriend found the soundtrack intensely annoying and it kind of ruined the movie for her.
personally though after listening to IFM dream machine all day at work i found it quite relaxing

keep hackney crap

jayoverdose wrote:

no irritation levels through the roof because of the most annoying soundtrack ever?

plobelobelo ping pong takketaketak pip bzzz tikke tikke

Haha I liked the soudntrack

"plobelobelo ping pong takketaketak"

mmMMMmmm

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind anyone? Compared to the ratings it has - 57 on imdb top 100 wtf - id say its quite rubbish...it starts out at what looks like a good story with a well acting jim carrey but quickly gets ruined. Particularly annoying is mary jane and frodo, but god those memory scenes are a pain and gave me associations to requiem for a dream (no, not a good thing)...less than nothing special is the best i can say about it, couldnt watch it until the end.

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."

that new batman movie. it was harseshet ged deng it

Yes, i just watched dark knight..."finally"...and it really has to be the most overrated of the overrated, considering its on space 4 on imdb 250 which is shocking! I didnt like batman begins that much so to be honest i didnt expect wonders, but that it was even worse than it i wouldnt have been prepared for.

Where can i start really...poor story, poor dialogue, mediocre acting, the bad guys were lame minus the joker who, granted, was GOOD (not great or in any way psychologically deep). In fact if he hadnt been then the movie wouldnt have been much better than the new punisher or FF4 and the silver surfer, 2 of the worst superhero movies i can think of. But the biggest problem of all, which also "begins" suffers from is that it just doesnt feel like a movie! Its like watching one long trailer or something, with a lot of scenes flying in and out for almost 3 hours. You dont get into any kind of flow at all in the story, its just like annoying bumps in the road. To top it off, I really like Christian Bale as an actor but he is just not a good bruce wayne or batman. But at least in "begins" he got some room to play with the role, here he gets nearly nothing to work with...

Bonus wtf's: What was up with the random airstrike sirens?? How weak was that whole boat scene thing and Dent story? And..."Gotham needs its true hero"?? FFS...i just dont get it. To be generous i give it 6 out of 10, but like i said if the joker hadnt been there it would be well below that

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."

i've outgrown goonies

218 (edited by e=mc2 2008-12-07 07:52:53)

Vomatron wrote:

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind anyone? Compared to the ratings it has - 57 on imdb top 100 wtf - id say its quite rubbish...it starts out at what looks like a good story with a well acting jim carrey but quickly gets ruined. Particularly annoying is mary jane and frodo, but god those memory scenes are a pain and gave me associations to requiem for a dream (no, not a good thing)...less than nothing special is the best i can say about it, couldnt watch it until the end.

Couldn't agree with you more.  Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is pants.  It's the only film I have ever fallen asleep to in the cinema.  Got about half way through then woke up at the end titles.  The memory scenes were awful and Kate Winslet's blue hair was annoying.

anything by whit stillman

when i saw
http://paowang.com/blog/dvd/upload/Metropolitan.jpg

i felt liking taking an Uzi to the screen, utter fucking shite.

after that i watched

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/64/Barcelona-movie.jpg/417px-Barcelona-movie.jpg

now someone in work has just recommended i watch

http://getentertainmental.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/last_days_of_disco.jpg

i nearly ripped his head off...

keep hackney crap

Vomatron wrote:

Yes, i just watched dark knight..."finally"...and it really has to be the most overrated of the overrated, considering its on space 4 on imdb 250 which is shocking! I didnt like batman begins that much so to be honest i didnt expect wonders, but that it was even worse than it i wouldnt have been prepared for.

Hi-five, I fucking hate Batman, every batman movie for that matter even the old series
people who say "Dark Knight" is "the bessssst muvvvieee they eeevvvuuur saaaw" must have no culture, I mean what the hell is so cool about Batman??? What do people see in batman...with his stupid car, I probably hate the batmobile even more then Batman itstelf.

I really don't understand it. Spiderman ok, and ofcourse the Hulk...the Hulk is way cooler then Batman, the movie probably also better.

When I was 11 I had to wear a fucking batman sweater (from the friggin' C&A)  to school becasue it was "cool"

Byron I never heard of those movies but they sure as hell look like they are shit

spiderman kicks ass! batman and for that matter: superman both suck!

You were forced to look cool at school Smackos? Is that what drove you to make this very uncool music of yours? wink

Its been ages since i saw the old batman movies...remember them as better but not great. I agree that it takes a helluva lot to make a figure like batman work in a movie...he's a ancient superhero of which a few good stories have been made, but by far the most is rubbish. But in any ways the new batman does just not deserve even an ounce of the acclaim its gotten, bats or not

And byron - dont watch last days of disco ! I saw 5 minutes and couldnt stand anymore, then scrolled through to hear if there was any good music: the answer is NO. And i hate, hate hate chloe sevigny.

Dude, I saw The Last Days of Disco in the theater on a date sad ... What a fucking misnomer!

the only thing cooler than the batmobile is the batwing
http://www.actiontoys.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/DKNIGHT-TURBO.jpg

dark knight was kind of irritating now that I think about it, the batman movies are becoming like 007 without the exotic locales and beautiful women, but with more stupid costumes and machinery

Vomatron wrote:

Compared to the ratings it has - 57 on imdb top 100 wtf - id say its quite rubbish...it starts out at what

haha voma ,don't tell me this is a reference for you please