Re: empirical fact: good mp3 sounds as good as wav.

don't feed the troll.

Monkey see, monkey do.

too late

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/Gremlins2.jpg

Anti-Bias: You need to change your avatar to like Jesus or something too.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

29 (edited by Forax 2008-08-08 00:32:08)

biotek wrote:

what's supposed to be the rationale behind using a jazz record?

i think you would have more chance of detecting a difference on a full mix of acoustic sources with a nice soundstage instead of a couple 808/synth hits.

what format/bitrate do you prefer your music in?

30 (edited by Photocall 2008-08-08 00:36:12)

Communicator wrote:

I vouch for the Jazz recording to test on.

Eli: Do you get the 320 Lame file by using alt-preset-insane?

Hey Communicator.  I scroll down to the '160' setting and replace those numbers with '320'
that's how ya do it.  Also go to prefs and check "use multiple encoders' for faster ripping.

Larry Levan wrote:

Buy a prism or lavry converter and some ATC monitors and then we can talk

Good call LL. 

My Mytek 8x192 and Benchmark DAC-1 into my Focals does pretty well too.  wink

Hmm, I'll look into that. Thanks bro!

For my sets I've just been using the alt-preset-extreme and that seems to be a good compromise for sharing and playing on most consumer systems. Sounds good enough to keep all noticeable details.

33 (edited by biotek 2008-08-08 00:51:04)

Forax wrote:
biotek wrote:

what's supposed to be the rationale behind using a jazz record?

i think you would have more chance of detecting a difference on a full mix of acoustic sources with a nice soundstage instead of a couple 808/synth hits.

what format/bitrate do you prefer your music in?

well, anything that has a wide spectrum is a tough cookie for mp3 encoding. stuff like noise and bright synth sounds, hihats.. overcompressed music. i don't think a jazz record would be the worst case if you don't have lot of noise in the signal.

i usually archive music with 'lame -q 0 -b 320 source.wav source.mp3'. but i can enjoy music for example from a 22khz 56kbit ogg stream just as well.

Monkey see, monkey do.

why not use VBR?

yeah, why not?

because i want the best quality possible. sometimes i flac too. i forgot to mention sharp transients, those eat lot of bits too.

Monkey see, monkey do.

I've still to look into all that FLAC. I've LAME'd cause of Blacktree's "iTunes LAME" integration with iTunes. Is there one you doods know of that i can use in OSX?

I just googled "Mac OSX LAME MP3" and got the little app that works with itunes.  It's not a script, just a separate app.  easy to use though and puts the files right in itunes.

With hard drive space so cheap these days, I have no problem doing everything at 320.

unfortunately flac isn't supported as widely as mp3.

Monkey see, monkey do.

bias wrote:

if size doesn't matter, why not just use flac?

To be honest I really haven't investigated it too much!  I have pals that swear by it.
Can you keep all of your flac files in itunes?  How do you guys organize and listen to flac?

Curious...

41 (edited by biotek 2008-08-08 02:08:39)

anything that's worth preserving with every single bit of the file gets flacced ofcourse. but most of the time 320k is good enough for my purposes. the filesize is about the same give or take a few megabytes in favour of 320k mp3.

edit: the ratios depend heavily on the compressed material ofcourse..

Monkey see, monkey do.

I know about the compression, I meant I need to investigate how to store/organize and listen to the files.

I think I've got somewhere around 40,000 files in itunes and it's a great program for organizing and making playlists.  I'm wondering about such a thing for flac.

i've been using foobar2000. its pretty cool with the foo_discogs add on.. you can tag stuff straight from discogs.

Photocall wrote:

I know about the compression, I meant I need to investigate how to store/organize and listen to the files.

I think I've got somewhere around 40,000 files in itunes and it's a great program for organizing and making playlists.  I'm wondering about such a thing for flac.

Yeah, that's what my library is in. Just trying to keep it all in one place for convenience.

Bas roR wrote:

so which sounds worse, a bad mp3 or a bad wav?

a bad track

It actually depends on the sound source. If you have a perfectly all white rectangle in a tif or bmp file format, it will stay a perfectly white rectangle however you compress it in jpg format. The difference appears as soon as you have complex color pics...

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien

Wha happened to anti-bius?
http://www.secure-power.com/images/confused.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/Gremlins2.jpg

Photocall wrote:

itunes must be the worst way of cataloguing music EVER. spending time organizing your collection into something manageable is very worthwhile. if you share your 40000 anywhere people wont be happy tongue oh and bias is correct about flac, theres really no reason to encode things into other formats these days. if you want them for your mp3 player you can reencode. problem is getting the "rare" stuff re-ripped.

50 (edited by Robotworks 2008-08-09 20:22:24)

I just made some tests with different codecs, to see how the audio files, and frequency spectrum, are transformed regarding the bitrate or compression level:

Here, the same file encoded in MP3 at different bitrates (LAME encoder)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/14/378671/spectrum-mp3.jpg

Here, same thing with a Nero AAC codec:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/14/378671/spectrum-aac.jpg

Here, same thing with the Ogg AoTuv SSE-3 Codec (reputed to be one of the best lossy codec, and indeed...)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/14/378671/spectrum-ogg.jpg

Here, same operation with FLAc codec:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/14/378671/spectrum-flac.jpg

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien