Re: World Cup thread

Freek wrote:
Obi1r wrote:

It was in another topic (elections) I said the majority of the Dutch are rude and lack manners, are bad listeners and quite convinced of their own opinion. The Dutch also are allergic to populism, in politics this shows. Maybe we should make rugby (American footbal?) popular.

Btw,there are a few good books written- not by the Dutch- about the Dutch, a good laugh and mostly true.

where do you learn all this stereotype crap?  smile

prison?

In football, tho, the stereotype of the Dutch is the entertainers. Euro 2008, for example.

Being the bad guy doesn't suit the Oranje

cuties don't exert

578 (edited by byron 2010-07-14 13:50:47)

i would love to see Robben tackled by Van Bommel

but who gets the yellow card? am sure the referee would be at fault though

keep hackney crap

579 (edited by like-a-kim 2010-07-14 15:47:14)

Imho Spain deserves the Cup, based on the way they play the game in general; ok, they played some 'average' matches on this WC, but who plays better football? I'm not saying this as a "successupporter"... I've been playing football for more than 20 years now and that 'easy tiktak' from the Spanish, keeping the ball in the own ranks before making the move is anything but simple.
BUT to be honest, it could 've been just as well Holland or Germany (or Brazil e.g. if they didn't played a louzy 30' in the 2nd half against Holland). Details made the difference (as in every topsport).
Before the tournament I thought/hoped Argentina had a (good) chance as well... but I guess my Maradona childhood nostalgia played a rol in that subjective idea smile  (he is definitely not on the same level as a coach).
personal disappointments: Cameroon, Serbia, Argentina, Belgium (WHY WEREN'T WE THERE?! sad)
surprises: Germany (not the result, the way they played), Uruguay, Chili (the way they played, not the result), Japan, ...

Holland: great tournament (the result), but I rate the generation Bergkamp, Stam, Kluivert, Cocu, VD Sar, etc... (much) higher than this team.. maybe it's the attitude .. dunno

like-a-kim wrote:

Imho Spain deserves the Cup, based on the way they play the game in general; ok, they played some 'average' matches on this WC, but who plays better football? I'm not saying this as a "successupporter"... I've been playing football for more than 20 years now and that 'easy tiktak' from the Spanish, keeping the ball in the own ranks before making the move is anything but simple.
BUT to be honest, it could 've been just as well Holland or Germany (or Brazil e.g. if they didn't played a louzy 30' in the 2nd half against Holland). Details made the difference (as in every topsport).
Before the tournament I thought/hoped Argentina had a (good) chance as well... but I guess my Maradona childhood nostalgia played a rol in that subjective idea smile  (he is definitely not on the same level as a coach).
personal disappointments: Cameroon, Serbia, Argentina, Belgium (WHY WEREN'T WE THERE?! sad)
surprises: Germany (not the result, the way they played), Uruguay, Chili (the way they played, not the result), Japan, ...

Holland: great tournament (the result), but I rate the generation Bergkamp, Stam, Kluivert, Cocu, VD Sar, etc... (much) higher than this team.. maybe it's the attitude .. dunno

You can hardly call the current Dutch team "memorable" (which former Dutch teams definately were).

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

Still in terms of talent this is one of the best teams ever. Too  bad most talent is all in offensive midfield (Sneijder, Vaart, Persie, Affelay), so the coach has to think of something to have all his talent play.

like-a-kim wrote:

Belgium (WHY WEREN'T WE THERE?! sad)

not playing was the best that could happen to us, now we went up 11 places in the FIFA ranking!!  big_smile

http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.85168788.jpg

and Christ was born....

smile  smile  smile

streppe wrote:
like-a-kim wrote:

Belgium (WHY WEREN'T WE THERE?! sad)

not playing was the best that could happen to us, now we went up 11 places in the FIFA ranking!!  big_smile

now that you mention... smart move!
I guess we will soon lose a couple of places once the EC2012 qualifying matches have started big_smile

... and don't forget : VIVA SUAREZ tongue

Sending this transmission into the depths of space
I must complete my mission - destroy the human race

http://www.discogs.com/user/logistian

Are you guys still talkin' about the world cup.
Come on it's been four days...

i miss the world cup  sad

cuties don't exert

raoul wrote:

Are you guys still talkin' about the world cup.
Come on it's been four days...

It's been 36 years since '74, 32 years since '78 and 22 years since '88 and still talk about that from time to time, so.... wink

"Are you loving?"

well, all pros and cons aside, how can you tell if a team will be memorable a mere week after it played? tja..

hoi!

silver wrote:

well, all pros and cons aside, how can you tell if a team will be memorable a mere week after it played? tja..

By the number of yellow & red cards?

Strictly Rockaas

i'm not going to spend my time on *that* again.

hoi!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQ_KBFOCIAArOL8.jpg

Tuō Men Xiōng Hǎopéngyou..

http://i58.tinypic.com/309scj9.jpg

smile

Looking forward to:

Brasil     vs  Chile

Holland  vs  Mexico

Knüller 1/8 finals!

personally i'm eager to see the colombians take on uruguay with old man forlan teaming up with cavani up front

Belgium goin down!  cool

cloud9 wrote:

Belgium goin down!  cool

I don't think so..
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqwD0sbIUAAhf2w.jpg

if begium finally start showing ttheir potential, they should beat 'team usa' without all too much trouble. but like the germans have always been able to do (and now combining it with lovely football too..), the americans too can take almost anyone's game purely on an incredible mentality. but man, that courtois..

Holland has the toughest team to beat i think... like a machine.  Arjen robben wow.. guy is intimidating.   smile  his typical  dutch balled head makes me smile.   good luck to ma brothers from da others mothers

I don't mind that the Dutch are super defensive, but it seems a sin how Brazil plays