Re: Should I buy...

plikestechno wrote:

There's no way he's getting 8 grand for the Synthex. People can't even get 4 or 5 for them right now on EBay. It would have to come with Jean Michel Jarre.

Shit.... I would request 8 grand for having an elderly long haired french guy living in my house.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

t_k wrote:

What's the going rate for a juno 60 these days? That guy wants 230 euro for his, that's not too bad? In Sweden that's pretty much what the 106's are going for.

if its in good condition, that's not too bad at all..

i buy it for that price  for sure

60s are very handy and basically can sync to anything. I am waiting for a cheap one to show up locally as well.

t_k wrote:

What's the going rate for a juno 60 these days? That guy wants 230 euro for his, that's not too bad? In Sweden that's pretty much what the 106's are going for.

Here in Holland,  I see asking prices of 400 or more (definitely more if they come with extras like midi dcb or a jsq60), whilst the 106 goes for 300 - 350 max. Most 106's below these average prices have voice problems or signs of them and I think it's the potential danger of voice problems makes the 106 overall less popular and the 60 much more popular. Not that the 60 is without trouble, the buttons can get stuck and that kinda stuff, but at least there's less chance of expensive voice problems.

t_k wrote:
plikestechno wrote:

Does this guy buy synths for cheap and resell them? A guy in Edmonton did that for two years and made enough for a down payment on a house.

What's the point of having a house if you don't have any synths to put in it?

He makes ambient and noise. He kept a few. This was about 5-7 years back and he bought and sold almost 200 synths in the span of two years between locally and Ebay.

I don't think it would be as profitable now. And I know it wouldn't be worth the effort for me.

I am looking to buy a new synth. I was looking at the Prophet 5 and the MS20. I love both for what they do, but can't make up my mind. I've only played the MS20 and loved it. But have yet to play the Prophet 5. Any suggestions? Maybe something else that falls in-between those two?

uhmmm...difficult one :-)

The Prophet 5 is a massive epic legendary (the records say very unstable and high-maintenance) polyphonic synth, whereas the MS-20 is a monophonic (as legendary but maybe not as prone to breakages) semi-modular synth. Both are  awesome, but couldn't be more different.

Maybe look at the synths you already have and find the missing layer you want to fill in for, then make a choice.... but hey, in between, above and beneath those two there's a lot of choice... :-)

cimabot wrote:

uhmmm...difficult one :-)

The Prophet 5 is a massive epic legendary (the records say very unstable and high-maintenance) polyphonic synth, whereas the MS-20 is a monophonic (as legendary but maybe not as prone to breakages) semi-modular synth. Both are  awesome, but couldn't be more different.

Maybe look at the synths you already have and find the missing layer you want to fill in for, then make a choice.... but hey, in between, above and beneath those two there's a lot of choice... :-)

Yea.....I realize that the two synths couldn't be more different. I really like the weirdness of the MS20, but also like the solidness of the Prophet 5. I already have a couple junos, cs5, mini-korg, sh101, among others. I just want something different.

hey beau -
ms20 will give you something very different, for sure...i've only briefly played both the ms20 and the prophet 5, but id probably go for an ms20. a lot cheaper and more interesting, especially if you've already got junos for pads and strings...and yeah, i've heard people complain about the unreliability of prophet 5's...
ms20 will also give you that chrislo haas sound smile
how is the cs5? i've considered getting a cs15...

Yea....I think i'm going to go for the MS20. The Prophet is alittle too expensive these days....and with that kind of money i can also get a CR78 and the MS20.

The CS5 is  pretty sweet. It's a pretty mean sounding little guy.....put a little chrorus on it and it's a dreamboat. I like trigger it with the KR55.....those two are a nice combination. I've never played a CS15 (only the CS10).....but they are built like tanks. I once let a friend borrow it and he dropped it down a flight of stairs......luckily....everything still worked.

beauw wrote:

I once let a friend borrow it and he dropped it down a flight of stairs

still friends? just curious.

238 (edited by plikestechno 2008-12-11 06:16:08)

Yeah, you can say what you want about Yamahas but they're crazy sturdy. You don't hear about them flaking out.

I have an SY-1 and an EX5R and they're built like tanks.

I love my Cs-5.
Those Yamahas are special, it's the bandpass filter, it does things other synths can't.
The Cs-15 is apparently a bit different than the 5 and 10.
It's envellopes are slower, it might not make a big difference, but the envellope on the Cs-5 are the snappiest ever.
Great for arpeggios.
Frankly I've never liked the bass sounds I made on it.  But not all synths have to be bass synths.

yeah the Cs-5 is still really affordable online too. we got one about a year ago for $250 with shipping off ebay. i agree with tony cops, it's a bit weak on the bass sound side being one oscillator, but we ran it through a compressor and a big muff fuzz and it fattened it up a ton.

worship the potentiometer.

ronin wrote:
beauw wrote:

I once let a friend borrow it and he dropped it down a flight of stairs

still friends? just curious.

Of course!!! Bros before nodes.

should i buy a vocoder? any advice? (not microkorg)

btw, how much should i pay  for an akai AX80?
http://www.vintagesynth.com/akai/ax80.jpg

victor robots wrote:

should i buy a vocoder?

Of course !
Every Robot should at least own a vocoder..

mr pauli wrote:
victor robots wrote:

should i buy a vocoder?

Of course !
Every Robot should at least own a vocoder..

or how else would you communicate verbally?

245 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2008-12-12 16:44:44)

victor robots wrote:

btw, how much should i pay  for an akai AX80?
http://www.vintagesynth.com/akai/ax80.jpg

Over here the AX80 is probably worth 300 - 350 euro, but often you see them sold for less (appr. 275) because somehow nobody here wants them. But it's unfair, just compare it to a Juno 60 or 106 which are in the same budget and the AX80 will win spec wise. And sound wise I think it's also stronger than the 106, but slightly less strong than the 60.
It's quite a versatile synth, but it's strongest for bass, pads and effect sounds. All in all it's a very deep, warm and woolly sounding synth.
As you can see, all parameter value's are graphically displayed with a led bar and a more precise 2 digit led display. Editing is quite easy: one button to select the parameter and one dial to change the parameter value. Akai designed it to look like - and compete with the revolutionary and popular DX7, but failed miserably; nobody wanted an analog synth anymore.

If you do buy one, see that the left 2 parameter banks can be edited (the ones for LFO and EG). Often they don't, because inside there's two IC boards, one of which handles the touch membrane buttons, and they are connected quite badly. Often these connectors are faulty and you'll have to either re-solder them or replace them with a ribbon cable in oder to be able to program the LFO and EG. It's not really a though job but I admit that I fucked it up so I brought it to a repair guy.

I'm not sure if you should get one, but I think you won't regret it if you do.

thanks for the info Brian.

@Pauli, advise me one! what vocoder/s do you use?

should i buy a Sequential Circuits 6 Track for $100 with this description:

"the ocillators dont stay in tune. Prob needs recapping? Im not a technician but it turns on just garbled audio"

victor robots wrote:

@Pauli, advise me one! what vocoder/s do you use?

Well advise... you can only decide which one is good for you.
Even crappy ones can sound very cool.
The carrier signal you use makes up a big part of the sound.
I've always used the Zoom 1204 for vocoder.

These days i use a Nord Micro Modular though.
It's very portable and it can make the carrier signal itself,
so you don't need another machine to do that.
...and it can do 1000 other things next to vocoding smile

You don't want advise on the MicroKorg, but the vocoder is pretty nice !

I've always used the Zoom 1204 for vocoder.

Yes that vocoder is surprisingly good! Also on the even cheaper 1201 its even a littlebit more "sophisticated" and its successor the RBFX1000 or whatever the fuck those things are called, I think there must be another succesor to that one on the market today but I don't know what type that is... but you can't go wrong with a ZOOM 1201/1204 they are probably 25 euros these days second hand and you get an endless supply of effects with great pitchshifters, "old-radio 20's"-simulators and the 1201 has even a pretty decent ring modulator.

Why don't you like the Microkorg vocoder? You need to program it a bit with the Korg editor to make it sound better cause those preset vocoder patches sound pretty lame

i like it,but i I've always wanted to have a real vocoder machine,and now i have  money for buy something so..

naaa,you know,a fetish thing or something big_smile