Re: Should I buy...

3apkob wrote:

@mekonin
must be the same one. sorry to steal this one from you, but I really need something like this for FFFC, we had a breakdown in our studio and now we're replacing some gear.

nah, i'm glad you guys are getting it smile
i found pearl drum-x for the similar amount so i'll take that one instead

what kind of a breakdown did you have?

I love the Drum-X. I have two. Fun to detune them and let the rage of analog flow.

do you trigger them with pads or use outputs from a different machine?

Vermona DRM1?.. It would def be my last piece of gear for a long while big_smile .. Except for the new microkorg

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

330 (edited by plikestechno 2009-01-09 04:13:28)

mekonin wrote:

I use the 707 (good) and the Drumtraks (best) mostly. And I have dual ins for all the signals. I used the Soundmaster ST-305 which was ok but not strong enough for a heavy bass drum sound. You want to get all the dots going for massive sounds.

But if pads come with them take them. I was supposed to get a bunch of pads with a Techstar I bought on Ebay but the guy flaked out and never sent it to me. But I got my money back and had to settle for a Syncussion instead wink

331 (edited by rsprats 2009-01-09 05:50:58)

in my quest for monitors i have stumbled upon Genelec 8020a's (pair) for $500.  Which i believe may be a great deal (sell for 500 each retail).. i used genelecs in a pro recording studio once when i was in school.. they were quite nice.. they were not the 8020as.. but i just remember very high quality sound. 

What you bots think?

i dont think you will be happy doing dance music on a 4" woofer even if it is genelec.  don't you have your setup in a garage or shed where you can make plenty of noise?  i'd get some some 8 inchers

@mekonin
Our groovebox (307) died on us, but we hated it anyway, so it's no big deal. it was handy and easy to carry but it sounded like shit, so we replaced it with a Nord rack 2 and now Procussion. It should do the trick.

I've owned Genelec 1029A's for around 10 years now, and they are unbeatable for their transparency. They have 5 inch woofers, which ain't much for bass. But I can never convince myself to buy that subwoofer for fear of colouring my mixes - I'm still in two minds about it after all this time...

Forax wrote:

i dont think you will be happy doing dance music on a 4" woofer even if it is genelec.  don't you have your setup in a garage or shed where you can make plenty of noise?  i'd get some some 8 inchers

Used to.  Now its in a condo... so i cant make too much noise at night.  I agree with the 4" woofer statement.  hmm.. gosh darn it.

plikestechno wrote:
mekonin wrote:

I use the 707 (good) and the Drumtraks (best) mostly. And I have dual ins for all the signals. I used the Soundmaster ST-305 which was ok but not strong enough for a heavy bass drum sound. You want to get all the dots going for massive sounds.

But if pads come with them take them. I was supposed to get a bunch of pads with a Techstar I bought on Ebay but the guy flaked out and never sent it to me. But I got my money back and had to settle for a Syncussion instead wink

so you say i need a strong signal for a triggers? what kind of signal is doing the best job? i thought about using my 626 which has individual outs and midi. and what do you mean about dual ins?

Like some other vintage percussion synths it's just triggered by anything through 1/4 jacks. No midi. The 626 should be fine as the Drum-X has adjustable sensitivity. What I mean by dual ins is I have a bunch of cables that send one signal out through two cables with the same signal. Like a splitter. So I can put the one signal into both Drum-Xs at the same time without the need for any fancy routing and detune them and mix the noise sources and have fun and be crazy.

And don't think it only sounds good when the sensitivity is on full you can get lots of great sounds when adjusting it. Jazz brushes and wood blocks and stuff.

But if you want booming 909 like kicks you gotta have the beasts on full and have that sensitivity pinned.

You can do a lot of experiments with different sources and get good results.
In my experience nothing  works better than a 5v trigger for my Tama.
I've also sampled the 5v trigger signal (from my dinsync.com device) and it works the same way.
If anybody wants its just tell me and I'll put it up somewhere.

Someone i know is selling a Jupiter 6..
i'm tempted..
pros & cons?

340 (edited by Erroraudio 2009-01-12 22:06:00)

olivier8 wrote:

i'm tempted..
pros & cons?

Depends on the price...

But if it's a fair price, then i don't se a reason not to get it. It's a great sounding synth.

Edit.

That's if you need it ofcourse.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

341 (edited by Robotworks 2009-01-12 22:07:58)

BMX wrote:

Vermona DRM1?.. It would def be my last piece of gear for a long while big_smile .. Except for the new microkorg

DRM1 = yes! really great sounding machine, a true sound research instrument. Be careful, the power supply plug is a bit fragile

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien

Erroraudio wrote:
olivier8 wrote:

i'm tempted..
pros & cons?

Depends on the price...

But if it's a fair price, then i don't se a reason not to get it. It's a great sounding synth.

Edit.

agreed - and get the europa mod - you'll have fun

343 (edited by automatique 2009-01-14 20:37:00)

Should I buy a MAM SQ-16? Is it any good? Want to use it for drum programming and simple basslines in combination with Novation Drum and Bass Station...

or to ask it in another way - can i make the same with a korg es (mk I or II)? not only drum programming - but also basslines with oktaves down or up.

The MAM has , I think, 13 drum tracks (1 midi note per track) and 3 instrument track (all midi notes).

I always thought It'd be a good trio with the Novation DS and SBS I had, never tried it though.

It's probably cheaper to get an electribe or a RM1x to sequencing like that.
That said now that I use Ableton Live, I don't need any of those sequencers.

Laptop sequencing is what I do so far. But I want to get away from the screen and mouse (ab)use. So I search for an affordable sequenzer for multitracks. Can Electribes also do synth sequences, not only drumsequencing? I mean, I want to use it as sequenzer for other synths and drum modules at the same time.

dequalsrxt wrote:
Erroraudio wrote:
olivier8 wrote:

i'm tempted..
pros & cons?

Depends on the price...

Edit.

Ok thx..not too sure what would be a fair price..
i don't think it comes w/ the mod, but it seems in excellent condition

347 (edited by hans olof 2009-01-16 12:41:30)

>automatique

i think the electribes only do monophonic sequencing or something..?

rm1x is good and tight and cheap... if you can live with the strange yamahaian logic and built in crap. some of it can be useful but it made me feel like i was working on a messy desk or something.

personally i prefer the mpc (2000xl). it has a lot of useful functions and is really easy to work with (hey, even hiphoppers can understand it!). it really inspires creativity somehow. but it's no "tr" style sequencer...

An inexpensive solution would be to use say an Electribe Em-1 for drums and a few monophonic synth parts and use your laptop for the rest.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/etm.shtml

The RM1x is probably the most complete solution available on the cheap.  i had it for short time and sold it because its aesthetics and sound design were totally uninspiring to me.  But the sequencing was like a simplified hardware Ableton Live.

Or just wait and use an APC-40 and Ableton Live 8 wink

349 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-01-17 01:36:27)

hans olof wrote:

rm1x is good and tight and cheap... if you can live with the strange yamahaian logic and built in crap. some of it can be useful but it made me feel like i was working on a messy desk or something.

If you considder the RM1x and can afford to spend double(!) the money, you should have a look at the RS7000. It's more sophisticated and despite it still uses that Yamaha logic, it is easier to grasp because the interface makes a bit more sense. And the sampler makes up for the most of the time horrible presets. It's 8 years old now and it has it's quirks but I still think it has one of the best sequencers around.

olivier8 wrote:
dequalsrxt wrote:
Erroraudio wrote:

Depends on the price...

Edit.

Ok thx..not too sure what would be a fair price..
i don't think it comes w/ the mod, but it seems in excellent condition

not sure any more either, I got mine for 800 USD, but I suppose that's cheap now