Re: Should I buy...

Should I buy an SY22 for $100 to give vector synthesis a go or is it even worth that?

ps. chatted for three days with the CS80 guy then never heard from him. Think the Cantos museum people in Calgary got ahold of him. He was also advised not to turn it on as it hadn't been on for 20 years so don't think I'm  getting a test session.

An amiga 500 for 100$???

Bankie Phones wrote:

An amiga 500 for 100$???

Hell NO !! Damn expensive !
Sold one for 20euros (with 1Mo ram/mouse/psu/200 floppies/joystick/scart cable) !

Korg DSM-1 sampler/synth for 90eur?
is it worth a hassle?
i do need a good sampler, but heard mixed opinions on it

90 eur is an OK price, but I think he DSM is quite limited compared to the DSS1.

personally, I'd go for an emax 1 rack.

If you get a late-ish model (rev 3 digital board is best but rev 2 is doable) there's a guy on the net who sells SCSI upgrade kits for the emax, and then you can hook in a SCSI flash drive, and have a grungy sampler with analogue filters, and no worries about floppy drives.

I'm liking the mirage rack a lot, too. but it's definitely a bit pokey to get around on.

DSM lacks DSS1's resonant filter and effects, but is multitimbral and can layer sounds
here is the complete list of differences:
http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/dss-1/diff.htm

thanks for the suggestion for emax 1, i read on the net that it is very good sounding.
i will definitely consider one if it pops up anywhere in the region, somehow i don't want to go trough the trouble of buying a sampler from abroad. but i've never seen emax around here sad
is the keyboard version any worth?

Roland Mks-50 for 200euro.

stamba wrote:
Bankie Phones wrote:

An amiga 500 for 100$???

Hell NO !! Damn expensive !
Sold one for 20euros (with 1Mo ram/mouse/psu/200 floppies/joystick/scart cable) !

even with the monitor???

i'm pretty broke so I probably won't/shouldn't be able to for a while anyways...

for 100$ you can get amiga 1200 with expansion card with extra ram and coprocessor and maybe even a monitor, which you don't need cause she will work with tv.

910 (edited by rockmanrock 2009-09-27 00:16:13)

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:

I paid a little more than that not so long ago.  They do turn up cheaper from time to time but that is about the going rate now.  An Alpha Juno 1 would be cheaper but they take up space.

I really like it.  With the PWM, variable speed chorus and an LFO wobbling the pitch you can get some very lush sounds.  The basses are powerful, almost up there with a good monosynth.  Chord Memory and Mono mode are 'instant techno'. Like all Junos it's a bit limited but the sounds are great.

The presets are good considering the period it was launched, lots of warm strings, pads and effects along with some bad attempts at acoustic sounds.  I'm using a Kenton Control Freak Live to edit it, works well and the MKS50 screen updates when it receives sys-ex (if you have it in Tone edit mode) to help with various tricky parameters (Env modes etc.).  Editing from the front panel is do-able but a bit tedious, a hardware box really opens it up.

They have been cheaper in the past but at 200E/GBP they're still worth it IMO.

mekonin wrote:

thanks for the suggestion for emax 1, i read on the net that it is very good sounding.
i will definitely consider one if it pops up anywhere in the region, somehow i don't want to go trough the trouble of buying a sampler from abroad. but i've never seen emax around here sad
is the keyboard version any worth?

another option is just buy the DSM now, and if you find something else later, buy it too (and maybe then sell the DSM if it becomes redundant)

90 euro isn't much to burn, anyway.

As for the keyboard version of the emax 1. I think the keyboard version is good, but it's BIG. if you have space to use it then it's fine. actually - a good idea if you need a master midi keyboard anyway. In an already populated studio, a 3u rack is much easier to deal with though.

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:

gecondoleerd big_smile
There are some virtual PG300 softwares for PC, so you can edit it without the PG300. 200 is a good price, they seem to go for 300 in Holland these days, so it was a good deal on SF smile

About the samplers....ehm do you NEED hardware sampling? Otherwise go Software imo, save you a lot of hassle and frustrating when making programs

A while ago there were a stack of E-MU turbo top of the line samplers for sale, 10 guys bought it, 8 sold em 3 weeks later becauze its to much effort to make a sample...enjoy the technological evolution smile

I had a fully to the max expanded Akai Z8, and boy what a mess...used it very very very little...sold it ansd I use now Kontakt3, 1000x faster, and more overview...sound is okay but, it depends what you need the sampler for, for drums Hardware is best I think...for vocals etc, software is fine. Why not use the few benefits of the 21st century (SW sampling) If you need grunge, just hook up a Moog MF101 after it smile 

But as always its all personal what works best for everyone, but that is how I feel about the sampler subject...

I dunno... I think the lower fi samplers definitely have a place that isn't covered by kontakt and a moogerfoger. (not that I ever used kontakt or ever owned a moogerfooger)

There's a few people on the emax list working towards making the emax (and if that happens, next step will quite likely EII, which has similar comms) a lot more pc integrated. if we can get it to work, you'll be able to boot the emax to a blank program, and then blast sample banks (assembled in a program on the pc, using wave files off the hdd) back and forth between the emax and the computer using the 500k RS422 link plugged into a PC USB port.

Also, I've modded my emax to have the SCSI option, and have a flash card reader and some CF cards that have come in the mail, just waiting for me to pick up and install when I get a chance, so I'm almost already over the whole floppy disk reliance issue. Then if we can make the fast sample transfer work, an emax will be a really amazing piece of gear.

This kind of functionality already exists for some of the top end late model samplers too (though using SCSI) maybe most of these people you mentioned who brought and then flipped the high end samplers didn't try to get this side of things working? It's not so simple to do in these days of non-scsi laptops everywhere.... I'm still hunting about for a decent SCSI adapter for my laptop so I can integrate my A5000 and E64 properly.

if anything, with the advent of ableton live, and the way it's grown with sample warping features, and now how all other daws are adding features to match, I'm beginning to think the least relevant form of sampler now is the vsti sampler. I grabbed short circuit off the net about 6 months ago, installed it and had a bit of a play. It's meant to be one of the best and easiest samplers out there for working with samples, rather than just playing back big libraries...... and then in the last 6 months I haven't had a SINGLE time, when dealing with wave files in my computer, that it wasn't faster and simpler just to chop up and warp stuff in ableton, or arrange chunks of audio in cubase.

ok, if you dont mind swapping the samples back and forth via scsi etc and all that key/zone mapping, but alot forget about this hassle before buying and regret it afterwards. That includes myself...

915 (edited by no-fi 2009-09-27 11:17:24)

hmmm..... I guess you're right about the basic SCSI transfer programs... I never used them back in the day... I remember MESA would just transfer just the waveform into a S2000 sample location, wouldn't it??? though i could have sworn there were some samplers that let you do your entire bank assembly in the computer. including tuning, filtering, layering, key ranges, and everything else.

maybe I was a bit optimistic about what I was expecting.... (really happy with what I can do with basic bank assembly with that mpc2000 bank program from the midicase.com guy - I can setup a drumkit with all the sounds I want on the right pads and save that to a CF card, then load up the kit from that card in the mpc, and go tweak the sounds with the filter and level settings in the mpc - I love that!) Now I'm thinking I really need to sort out exactly what I can expect with my E64 and A5000.... I at least wanted sample mapping. maybe a SCSI adapter won't do much for me with these two afterall?

The magic of the emax transfer program is you send the whole bank in one go. not just send single samples or even all samples - but the entire bank with all parameters too. so when the bank programming code gets advanced, you'll be able to setup and edit all of that on the PC screen, and have no (or at least minimal) pissing about with programming sample key ranges in a 2 line LCD.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/9880/mc30super.jpg

180 euro ...  Hmmmmm ....

i found TB303 for 1000eur with midi/sync box...

oh the temptation!!

mekonin wrote:

oh the temptation!!

do it. if you don't like it you can always sell it for the same price.

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:
mekonin wrote:

oh the temptation!!

do it. if you don't like it you can always sell it for the same price.

i'm afraid that i will like it and then i'll be eating breadcrumbs for next couple of months

bias wrote:

for 100$ you can get amiga 1200 with expansion card with extra ram and coprocessor and maybe even a monitor, which you don't need cause she will work with tv.

why don

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

jayoverdose wrote:
bias wrote:

why don

jayoverdose wrote:
bias wrote:

why don

923 (edited by plikestechno 2009-10-05 08:11:48)

I have my Nord G1 keyboard on VSE and Ebay and turned down a trade of an SH-101 (grey) AND BassStation rack for it. Am I an idiot? I just have way too many monosynths around (modular, Octave Cat SRM, Moog Source, syncussion) and would rather have the cash.

I am tempted a little by the 101 though, I miss the 202s sound. Maybe I could do the 101 and some cash.

But honestly I want to pare down a bit and would rather just have cash in full.

last time I checked, a 101 was worth more than a G1 nord modular.... unless G1 has become cool and gone up in price again?

the 101 is a great synth. very similar sound to the 202, but the 202 has this midrange "honk" to the sound that always made it sound a bit trumpety to me, or something.. 101 doesn't have that.  I really love the simple little 101 sequencer. you can have so much fun with that and a drum machine's trigger output.

agreed w/no-fi - it sounds great, plus the simple sequencer for me at least makes the 101 one of those must-have/can't-live-without synths.  Even if I'm not using the synth itself, i end up using the sequencer to control other synths - i would think it'd be major fun w/a modular

Pages Previous 1 35 36 37 38 39 87 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Currently used extensions: pun_approval, pun_admin_add_user. Copyright © 2009 PunBB