1,126 (edited by plikestechno 2010-01-05 01:38:05)

Re: Should I buy...

Which Stix do you have?

This sucker was my first drum machine. Got it at a pawn shop for $40 mint as hell. Awesome robotic sound and feel.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/soundmasterstix.jpg

hm yeah it seems the guy has already sold the midified cr-78 for $1000 and also says in the e-mail that the kenton pro solo is now going for $175 even tho on his ad it has it for $150... i don't like this guy...

i'm probably going to wait for some other alternatives that you guys stated to pop up on ebay/craigslist/forum or if the price is right for the 78

plikestechno wrote:

Which Stix do you have?

This sucker was my first drum machine. Got it at a pawn shop for $40 mint as hell. Awesome robotic sound and feel.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/soundmasterstix.jpg

I have quite a few drummachines but dont have a soundmaster or kpr, always loved the sound of those but never bought 'm because I dont have unlimited space wink ..

cloud9 wrote:

hm yeah it seems the guy has already sold the midified cr-78 for $1000 and also says in the e-mail that the kenton pro solo is now going for $175 even tho on his ad it has it for $150... i don't like this guy...

i'm probably going to wait for some other alternatives that you guys stated to pop up on ebay/craigslist/forum or if the price is right for the 78

just wait untill the right deal comes on your path, patience and active searching can save you a lot of cash... big chance you'll find someting better smile

TB or not TB

i dont' have a soundmaster stix, either - just the sr-88 (which i got for 17 bux!). it broke a few months after i got it, though, and i still haven't managed to get it fixed. i've often looked around for the soundmaster stix, but i almost never see them for sale, maybe once or twice on ebay.
i like the cr-78 and all, it just seems ridiculously overpriced, and the cr-68 is a very similar machine for a comparably reasonable price. if you're going to be spending 1000+ on a drum machine, the 808, 909, or even machinedrum seem like infinitely better options to me. particularly if you plan on making house or techno, the cr-78 is just too thin and wimpy sounding..

It's funny the stix are so rare but they go for so cheap. Never over $200 or so when they do appear.

haha, soundmaster aint got the TR-chic appeal...

Some things don't benefit from being rare, it just create less demand since less people know about them.

1,133 (edited by plikestechno 2010-01-06 00:35:44)

SOS wrote:

haha, soundmaster aint got the TR-chic appeal...

That's for sure. Very specialized sound. Electro, minimal wave type synth stuff, maybe you could do dirty Hieroglyphic Being type stuff. Everything has kind of a dark tone to it. The percussion sounds and the snare are my fave.

TONY COPS wrote:

Some things don't benefit from being rare, it just create less demand since less people know about them.

Which can definitely be handy too like when I got my R-100 for only $60. Just for its sync and sequencing options alone the R-100 is amazing but I actually kinda like the sounds. So 80s, it makes me want to make late 80s italo and eurodance.

It must have some amazing D/A in there too. What were they new? It's quite a piece of machinery and it would be cool to track down the other cards.

i'll get a stix one of these days....it does have a very nice muddy character...

yeah, r100 is super cool, just as cool as a 707, and less than half the price... i think someone asked just a little while ago on here, but i'll ask again - does anyone know how do you find hte extra soundcards for it? i need that industrial kit bad....

SOS wrote:

i'll get a stix one of these days....it does have a very nice muddy character...

yeah, r100 is super cool, just as cool as a 707, and less than half the price... i think someone asked just a little while ago on here, but i'll ask again - does anyone know how do you find hte extra soundcards for it? i need that industrial kit bad....

It might just be the thrill of a new pice of gear, but i think i like the R-100 better then the 707.... It is so cool.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

No, the R-100 is way better than the 707. Feel, sound, sequencer...I had a 707 for awhile (bought locally for $100 then sold for $250) and it was pretty decent, I'd considered buying another one but was glad I learned about the R-100 because compared to the 707 everything kicks its ass.

What is a Sequential Split 8? Is that that weird japanese only thing, is it cool? I can buy one but I am not sure, I would like to have a Sixtrack so maybe this is a good alternative?

Hmm nevermind seems like a whack synth

I was thinkin' about getting that split 8 as well. It's on synthforum now. But somehow I think it's not so easy to work with. I like to have alot of knobs.

yeah i think thats the same, from belgium? It seems a bit expensive too for a sixtrack-like synth withouth sequencer

seems to me in the same league as the AX60/AX80

Altough it does 2 vcos in 4 voice mode, thats better than the Akais, Juno and so...

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/split8.php

Squadra Smackos wrote:

What is a Sequential Split 8? Is that that weird japanese only thing, is it cool? I can buy one but I am not sure, I would like to have a Sixtrack so maybe this is a good alternative?

dunno about the Split8 but the Sixtrak is nice, maybe even like it better than the ProOne (altough they are extremely different)

TB or not TB

SOS wrote:

i got mine on ebay for something like 10 euro. they do pop up sometimes.. or find one that has all the cards already installed and buy that..

I have had 2 Stix (one went the way of the thieving Magpie) and and sr88... Love em both to pieces.. and I have! They both stopped working last year and I have no Idea how to get em working again.... Answers on a postcard please.. neutral

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Did you use PSUs? I always use batteries. That said I haven't fired up mine in about four months so it could be dead too. But had no problems for a few years.

plikestechno wrote:

No, the R-100 is way better than the 707. Feel, sound, sequencer...I had a 707 for awhile (bought locally for $100 then sold for $250) and it was pretty decent, I'd considered buying another one but was glad I learned about the R-100 because compared to the 707 everything kicks its ass.

i love my 707!  (i got mine for 80 bux from a friend of a friend)
i prefer TR-style sequencing, and the volume sliders for each sound is just awesome...
and as good and heavy as the r100 build is, mine seems to sometimes get slightly warped circuitboards or something, so pads get stuck, and i hvae to open it up and re-align it... but i'd never get rid of either machine, love them both... just need that industrial card for the r100...

roland d-70?

crc wrote:

roland d-70?

get a D50 and I say YES tongue

Septicstudio wrote:
crc wrote:

roland d-70?

get a D50 and I say YES tongue

i know sad .. but an old friend of mine has one d-70 (+soundcards +pedal) collecting dust for many years now. just wondering if it would be useful synth somehow.

plikestechno wrote:

Did you use PSUs? I always use batteries. That said I haven't fired up mine in about four months so it could be dead too. But had no problems for a few years.

Yep i made the horrible mistake and probably fried em... Got em all Pre internet days and learnt the hard way.

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++