Re: Should I buy...

Jaa.. AJ2 is an ocatve bigger too....

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

a poly 61 one with 6 not working keys? are it bad contacts? or does the poly61's te same problems as juno with its voices?

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

Should I get an E-mu ESI 32 for 80eur or is it not worth the hassle?

1,204 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2010-02-03 19:48:39)

ProjectGenocide wrote:

a poly 61 one with 6 not working keys? are it bad contacts? or does the poly61's te same problems as juno with its voices?

Non functioning keys is a common problem on Poly 61's, about as common as their battery leaking issue. Indeed, with the poly 61 a malfunctioning keyboard can be caused by either the keyboard itself (bad or dirty contacts) or the electronics. There's more info here: http://www.mik-music.org/tiki-index.php … -61+Repair

mekonin wrote:

i wouldnt go for an esi. they are a bit limited compared to the ultra series. i guess for around 150euro you can get ane mu 5000 ultra. just today, i saw a full enlarged emu 6400 for 250, wich is much more but this is the top model. the ultras are very smart to edit and the modulation matrix is great. filters are great too. if i remember correct, 19 filter models they have.

mekonin wrote:

It's not like it's a steal or anything. 80 euro is a normal price for these 90s budget samplers. You could probably find them even cheaper, kinda depends on what extra's you get (memory expansion, discs, scsi card and / or drives, that kinda stuff).
If you can use a simple hardware sampler go for it, if not... well, don't go for it. The Emu was a tad better than its competitor, the Akai S2000, cause it came with more outputs (the Akai had an optional output expander), was easier to edit and (but that's a matter of taste) it sounded better. But I don't think it came standard with scsi connector, unlike the S2000.

DamDuram wrote:

i guess for around 150euro you can get ane mu 5000 ultra. just today, i saw a full enlarged emu 6400 for 250, wich is much more but this is the top model. the ultras are very smart to edit and the modulation matrix is great. filters are great too. if i remember correct, 19 filter models they have.

Solid advice. With todays prices for hardware samplers it is quite smart to look at the more top end models.

Thanks guys, I'll keep my eyes open for better models then. Although they seldom appear here, and when they do, they are usually overpriced. I guess people don't want to part with something they payed a lot for in the past for dirt cash.
I saw an AKAI S6000 for 500eur and it was actually sold for that amount. Which in my opinion is too much.
I had my eye at E-mu because of the sound all the people are going crazy about on the interwebz.

Well you could also just go for the ESI32, see whether you like the whole concept of a hardware sampler and then decide whether you should continue looking for a better deal on a top end one.

1,210 (edited by DamDuram 2010-02-03 20:44:56)

i dont think 500euro is too much for an akai6000. consider what you get. a well build peace of hardware, wich works in every situation (unlike pcs and macs) and has decent ad convertors. the akai had a price like 5000euro and this was just like 8 or 9 years ago. i paied 3200 for my emu 5000 back in the days and it still hurts when i think about what they can do. ok , software is much cheaper but you still dont have exellent converters. imo an akai for 500 bucks is, maybe not a bargain, but very ok. i

I am passing on this one. It's got 8MB of RAM, no SCSI, Zip or HD and the guy doesn't even know what turbo expansion is.

In my opinion (talking about studio use of samplers), important thing is the quality of sound one can get using hardware samplers, mainly that gritty lo-fi conversion you can get with old converters once regarded as top of the line. With S6000 it's what you put in is what you get out, which is much more convenient with software samplers and a decent audio interface.

Brian Chinetti wrote:
ProjectGenocide wrote:

Non functioning keys is a common problem on Poly 61's, about as common as their battery leaking issue. Indeed, with the poly 61 a malfunctioning keyboard can be caused by either the keyboard itself (bad or dirty contacts) or the electronics. There's more info here: http://www.mik-music.org/tiki-index.php … -61+Repair

hmmm the seller want 60 e for it. and says it has been in his garage. he thinks its only the contacts. what you guys think?

I would take my chance on it if it was being offered to me.

Personally, for 60 euro I think it's worth a shot. I would buy it, open it up, take out the battery (which really is notorious) and replace it immediatly. It can be a good deal if you don't mind spending a few bucks more on repairing it (or having it repaired). There's plenty of good repair people in Holland so that's not the problem, but be prepaired that it might cost you more than those 60 euro's.
With these kinda deals it is worth figuring out what you would really want to spend for this synth. Is it only 60 euro, then don't buy it. Are you willing to spend a 100 more on getting it fixed if it's needed, then go for it.

Oh it's got the Poly-6 battery?
Reminds me of the Polysix I bought for 150 that cost 400 to fix.  I sold it for a bit more to recoup the money because it wasn't worth that much to me, after getting a Juno-60.

well i like the sound and would like to link it up to my kpr77 and sq01. fixing some dirty/bad contacts isnt a problem i think. but is the battery so hard to fix?

No, it's pretty easy. I would get if for

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

1,218 (edited by plikestechno 2010-02-04 07:43:23)

Hope a guy gets back to me. It's been about four hours. Roland D50 + PG1000 + card(s) apparently perfect for $350 Canadian. Saw it 10 minutes after it went up on my Blackberry but wasn't able to get on a proper computer until it was up for around 2 hours. Would be nice as he lives two minutes away from me.

They're not worth as much these days as I thought they were but $350 would still be a heckuva deal.

D50 is easily one of my fav synths around, for really
Warm, hard, cold soft , you name it, it is in there..

^^ see no vintage bashing going on ^^ big_smile

have had a d50 for a week now. didn't like it at first, but now i found some really good sounding presets from the internet and i have started to like it alot. there is still that really high digital hiss on every sound, but that can be eq:ed out really easy.
i really need that pg1000 since i think that programming your own sounds is really painfully slow.. it just seems that you have to pay something like 250 euro for the programmer alone here in europe.. anyone have a cheap pg1000 for sale?

1,221 (edited by Septicstudio 2010-02-04 11:31:38)

just sold mine smile

I use Midiquest XL now, works like a charm. But you'll need a PC or MAC for that to work

http://www.squest.com/Windows/Instrumen … index.html

http://www.soundquest.org/Windows/InstrumentGraphicsSmall/RolandD-50/Patch-LowerMode.png

you've got the 92 rombanks selection already? o rmust i upload it? some best of banks filled the same kindo sounds per bank. like a rom full with brass or with with only strings etc.

there are some banks with awesome ravesounds also (even the dominator patch etc)
EDIT: here are the majority of em : http://roland.d.freeservers.com/cgi-bin … 0/d50.html

hey septic. thanks for the tips. have to check that midiquest thingie. i have one editor but it is really crappy.
i didn't quite get that 92 rombanks thing. my d50 is updated with that m.ex extension (double memory and multitrimbality options, and faster interface something). but that's not it right? do tell me more!

i have a shitload of patches, so if you can tell me where the ravesounds are, let me know smile

1,223 (edited by Septicstudio 2010-02-04 13:17:31)

well i use a roland varios with a vc1 card, so it boots up like a D50, fully sysex etc compatible.
It has all the official roms onboard + 9 banks user + 1 special created for the VC1 coz it has 128 waves instead of 99

the ravesounds are locaceted i nthe bank that starts with patch 1 D-Anapad and eds with: Sunday church

it is one of these roms big_smile

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5wof3f

after you upload a rombank you dont know what it was called before you put em in, i uploaded 10 banks when i got it and still I use and tweak the presets from those.
with the multitmbral mod etc ( ithought this was only for the D550?) and double memory you can hold 2 banks in rom. Not too many. are you on mac or Pc? I am on Mac and I use sysexlibrarian for bankuploads, if you use that you can on the fly load a new bank in your d50 test it, make a note of it, and try another, after dozen or so you will know what banks are best for your taste. and upload those 2 in it.

the rom storage was one of the main reasons i swapped it to a VariOS d50

@ Septic.

What DAW do you use?  When I try and run midiquest XL from inside cubase it won't let me access my MOTU midi express it says it's already being used by Cubase.

well you will need a riant midi interface and some mergers.

you will need a seperate midi port from your seq and from midquest, luckily i got a few around (must use that aswell btw to hook up a pg1000 to a d550 or various) you use then a merger to combine your seq midi stream and the editor midistream and plug the sum into your synths midi IN

I use logic and midiquest as a standalone that way. Mac is very easy in multi-using midiports etc for multitasking. PC, was, a horror. Guess that still applies.