Re: Should I buy...

Septicstudio wrote:

I often dont hear the difference between my 808 and the DStation, well there is some difference, but not that the one is better or worse than the other...Only the HH lack a bit of hiss and sissling on the DStations, use a HPF on it and some processing to make it come more alive and your set.

'when using it clean on a hi-fi set'

effects and P.A.'s are a different ballgame when using analog..

TB or not TB

Isn't the Dstation analogue?

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

mono-poly wrote:

Unfortunatly not. It uses modelled Waveforms on a Eprom as does the Bass station.

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

computerdisco wrote:
mono-poly wrote:

Unfortunatly not. It uses modelled Waveforms on a Eprom as does the Bass station.

BassStation not analog?

1,255 (edited by olivier8 2010-02-09 17:18:47)

Waiting for my JX-3p to arrive hopefully before this weekend..
what's the deal w/ the PG??
i've heard one cannot do midi sequencing & tweak sounds at the same time.. is this correct??
i also heard there were several versions/upgrades of the JX-3p
anyboty familiar with it??

So should i still get a PG or there is other way around??? (midi controller???)

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:
computerdisco wrote:
mono-poly wrote:

BassStation not analog?

Not the Waveforms, the VCF is analogue.

1,257 (edited by computerdisco 2010-02-09 16:56:21)

The Bass Station uses DCO's, so the waveforms don't live in a table stored on some EPROM.  They are generated by an analog oscillator that has its cycle reset by a digital clock.

unicity wrote:

The Bass Station uses DCO's, so the waveforms don't live in a table stored on some EPROM.  They are generated by an analog oscillator that has its cycle reset by a digital clock.

Thats what I thought yes. Thanx.

1,260 (edited by computerdisco 2010-02-09 18:07:41)

unicity wrote:

I am not so sure about that. Having had to repair mine I cant find a Osc at all in the signal path. It seems that the Waveforms are generated in the Eprom on the board. I could be wrong but having had it in bits there is no DCO. I am sure the waveform is software generated.

Quote from other site..

I have a novation bass station. It's apart in front of me. It has an analog filter, but no vcos or dcos in it. The large custom chip seems to be mostly digital with some analog inputs. Slowing down the clock feeding it, results in the pitch dropping proportionally, which would indicate that it is responsible for pitch generation via clocked logic, ie. digital means. Waveform conversion appears to be in this chip too and it does not seem to be affected by heat. No drift when heated. Likely not analog.
Definitely. Even if the large chip somehow has analog vcos in it, it is obviously also the only cpu used for programming and control. It has an 8mhz crystal clock input. So by definition, what's producing the sound is a digital chip, first and foremost. It only has a handful of analog inputs that are used for the various pots to be read into. The only cv observed was for the filter and vca.

computerdisco wrote:

I am not so sure about that. Having had to repair mine I cant find a Osc at all in the signal path. It seems that the Waveforms are generated in the Eprom on the board. I could be wrong but having had it in bits there is no DCO. I am sure the waveform is software generated.

Hmm, well I've never opened one up myself and had a look so you have me there.  All I've ever heard and read about the Bass Station is that it uses DCO's (unless you read about it at vintagesynth.com where they incorrectly state it uses VCOs). 

I'm not knowledgeable enough with electronics for the following to convince me, but if you've been digging around inside the thing perhaps this quote from the AH archives will help clarify one way or the other:

Yep, looks like a DCO to me.  The ramp generators are built around TLC274 opamps. The only digital IC in there worth mentioning is the microcontroller that does the oscillator syncing, keyboard scanning, midi, etc. There are 9 CA3080E's in there as well. Dunno if Novation used them for the filter or for modulation purposes.

i think the bassstation rack isnt analog indeed but i think the super and keys are analog (not completly sure about that) i dont really like the novations anyway had 2 sold them after a month or so

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

haha loving the descussion

Me too.  Bored at work, but still good times.  smile

Looks like the Bass Station is a contender for a future episode of "Uncovering Synthesizer Mysteries"...

what's good with the Fostex 16-TK reel to reel? $150? i don't know much about these things and i can't find much on google at the moment

1,266 (edited by Septicstudio 2010-02-09 21:04:38)

I had a Normal BassStation rack aswell as the SuperBassStation (totally underrated the last one)

It is al modelled stuff only the filter is a real analogue one.

The 24dB on the SBS is a nasty screaming reso filter, great for fx sounds smile

I loved the autoglide on the SBS aswell, very good for your gliding 808state sounds....
I used to call it a poor man's MC202/SH101

BTW, it is a shame Novation only doing the midicontroller business now, they used to make great stuff like the DStations, Nova/Supernova II's and the (Super)BassStations...Although their RemoteSL series are great too.

I'm pretty sure all the bass stations are DCO with VCF, they should have kept that because I wasn't impressed with the rest of their gear and especially their customer service here in Canada.

The Super I had sounded pretty good and had a lot of functions but the interface wasn't great, but it's still a lot of value in a small package, althought putting all these knobs on a 1u rack was what made it un-ergonomic.

1,268 (edited by plikestechno 2010-02-09 21:55:58)

Yamaha CS01s are also not VCO even though it says so on it. Waves on a chip even back in the day. But its 4-pole filter on the MKII was still totally ace. Hit the exact spot and neighborhoods can rumble.

DCO is not "waves on a chip".

that's wavetables like on the PPG waves and Prophet VS.

1,271 (edited by plikestechno 2010-02-10 00:21:18)

crc wrote:

DCO is not "waves on a chip".

I don't think anyone is arguing that. They're arguing whether some Novation products are VCO/DCO or whether they are in fact digitally created waves with analog fillters a la wavetable synths. The Yamaha CS01s are neither DCO or VCO, they are waves on a chip. Even though it says VCO on it. I guess then and now no one is legally obligated to provide exactly whether something is voltage controlled. Back in the day people stressed DCOs on their products because DCOs were considered better and more stable. Whereas in the late 90s through today companies try to downplay the presence of DCOs in their analog products.

Doesn't make a difference to me. Waves, DCO, VCO...it's all good babay!

cloud9 wrote:

what's good with the Fostex 16-TK reel to reel? $150? i don't know much about these things and i can't find much on google at the moment

i think my question may have gotten caught in the bass station discussion... so just to make sure.. smile

tongue

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

What Fostex would that be? B16 or E16? They are considered  to be quite good, but personally I would only get it if I really needed 16 tracks. Despite Fostex did a pretty good job on these 16 track recorders, cramming 16 audio tracks on only a 1/2 inch tape is a bit erm... daring. Fostex did a good job making it work out quite well, but they did use 'tricks' to get results, 'tricks' you wouldn't need if you would settle for, let's say, a 2 track 1/4 inch. And be aware that a cheap reel recorder does not exist, just like a cheap  Minimoog or Jupiter 8 doesn't exist.  hey require maintanance and if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is. The E16 can go for over a 1000 euro in good condition. So be sure to check it thoroughly.

Brian Chinetti wrote:

What Fostex would that be? B16 or E16? They are considered  to be quite good, but personally I would only get it if I really needed 16 tracks. Despite Fostex did a pretty good job on these 16 track recorders, cramming 16 audio tracks on only a 1/2 inch tape is a bit erm... daring. Fostex did a good job making it work out quite well, but they did use 'tricks' to get results, 'tricks' you wouldn't need if you would settle for, let's say, a 2 track 1/4 inch. And be aware that a cheap reel recorder does not exist, just like a cheap  Minimoog or Jupiter 8 doesn't exist.  hey require maintanance and if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is. The E16 can go for over a 1000 euro in good condition. So be sure to check it thoroughly.

great, thanks for all the info brian. i'm going to have to do some research next couple days and contact the seller asap ask some questions