Re: Should I buy...

mekonin wrote:

It is located in Belgrade, and I am not smile I am in Nis, which is in south of Serbia. About 250km from Belgrade.
The seller did mention that at a certain position, the fader on the first channel could make some trouble...

I say dont do it, when a mixer has few issues there is a big chance there will be soon more.. Better save up for a mixer in better condition to avoid future problems and hassle..

TB or not TB

GM wrote:

I'm thinking to buy a mono synth.

Korg Mono/Poly
Moog Source
Pro One

All 3 very convincing sounding, but what to choose?
any recommendations??

Have you tried any of these 3? They all sound good but maybe you should also focus on interface and controls..

TB or not TB

I've tried the pro one once. liked it.

allot of Modulation possibilities is important for me.
What I read is that the pro one and the monopoly are on that front superior to the moog source.
I want crazy stuff, not only a nice bass or lead.

Listen to SEER Radio every Sunday at 21.00 hrs on The Dream Machine, previous SEER Radio shows

GM wrote:

I've tried the pro one once. liked it.

allot of Modulation possibilities is important for me.
What I read is that the pro one and the monopoly are on that front superior to the moog source.
I want crazy stuff, not only a nice bass or lead.

Pro1 is def a good choice for crazy/sinister stuff smile

TB or not TB

freek, did you tried the monopoly or source?
I think you can't go wrong with these either... smile

Listen to SEER Radio every Sunday at 21.00 hrs on The Dream Machine, previous SEER Radio shows

GM wrote:

freek, did you tried the monopoly or source?
I think you can't go wrong with these either... smile

I only have the PRO1 but Im sure the other 2 will do the job fine as well, the Source maybe has less hands-on control.. and you already have a P600 so maybe the MonoP is the best choice.. its also cheaper I believe.. All 3 are winners so you cant go wrong I guess smile

TB or not TB

Moogs are the best in thick analogue basses and leads.
Modukation wise moogs are a bit boring.
To me the pro one sounds a bit harsh.
And i am not a huge fan of the mono/poly either.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

despite your name

GM wrote:

Korg Mono/Poly
Moog Source
Pro One

All 3 very convincing sounding, but what to choose?

I own a Pro One and love it. It was the first analogue synth I ever owned. It definitely sounds grittier than the Roland stuff I have. The downside to the Pro One is that the build quality is a bit poor, the keyboards on some of them can go bad (not a problem if you're sequencing it via gate/cv though). Popular electro producer DMX Krew wrote about it and has sound samples of it up on this studio page: http://www.durftal.com/music/edmx/dmxstudio/pro1.htm

I don't own a Mono/Poly but I do have a Polysix which uses the same SSM2044 filter chip. It's an interesting filter and the Mono/Poly has a load of routing options which  keeps things exciting. Apparently Dopplereffekt used the Mono/Poly a lot on their (his, whatever) older electro stuff. That's reason enough to get one!

I've never used a Moog Source, but like Mono/Poly (the guy, not the keyboard, this is confusing!) says, Moog is great for bass not so great for weird modulation options.

Well the mono/poly was the first knob analogue synth i bought in the nineties.
And you all know what happend.........

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

thanks for the comments!
Checking the DMX site.

I'm looking for the more crazy stuff, so probably the monopoly.

A one or two channel drum synth? Which ones are good?

I've been looking at: Syndrum, Synare, JHS SD-1, Boss PC-2 etc. Any others worth considering? Also is there really much point in getting one?

I've already got an 808 so perhaps I'm pretty well covered on the analogue drum side of things already...

They're all good smile

The MPC DSM series is pretty cool, but a bit rare.  I have Techstar toms and they're great as toms but not the best for all-around synthesis.
The jomox M-brane might be cool.  Syndrums and synares seem overpriced to me as it's not something I use regularly.

SSM v3 wrote:

A one or two channel drum synth? Which ones are good?

I've been looking at: Syndrum, Synare, JHS SD-1, Boss PC-2 etc. Any others worth considering? Also is there really much point in getting one?

I've already got an 808 so perhaps I'm pretty well covered on the analogue drum side of things already...

Maybe you should try Simmons SDS, like: SDS8, SDS200, SDS400, SDS800, etc.. (avoid SDS9).

TONY COPS wrote:

They're all good smile

The MPC DSM series is pretty cool, but a bit rare.  I have Techstar toms and they're great as toms but not the best for all-around synthesis.
The jomox M-brane might be cool.  Syndrums and synares seem overpriced to me as it's not something I use regularly.

I bought one of those DSM units years ago, nice stuff but sold it again. A friend of mine bought a big bunch but sold them all in the past years. I also have a MPC the Kit, really cool (with drumpads) but a bit more rare I think.

TB or not TB

Cheers for the tips guys! smile I've seen those MPC units and the Kit as well. They come up in the UK from time to time as I think it was an English company. Interesting you sold the DSM Freek, was it due to crap sound?

I'm particularly interested in relatively small portable and hand triggerable units for live sets and travelling hence the interest in Synares, Syndrums etc.

Any experience of the portable ones? What do you reckon is a good price? Also do you reckon they're worth getting?

I think it could be quite nice to have full hands on control to vary the toms, snares and effects etc. during a set.

The MPC was nice, I should have kept one, if you click on my "website" link and go to "MTLNRG" on my Soundcloud, you can hear the MPC DSM-2 doing the toms throughout the track.

Just go straight to the top. Syncussion or SDS3.

But seriously. I tried really hard to like Synares but their sound is hard to fit in a mix unless you're doing like 70s prog or disco. Also I'm pretty sure that none of them can be triggered without modification. Gotta just play em. At least the 1 and 3.

Simmons SDS series suxxx imo

only the SDS3 is an exception...

My fav 2 channel perc synth is the Icon Design DSM200, love it more than the Syncussion SY1

http://media.share.ovi.com/m1/large/0367/37e476c1ffdc461893ce354271dcfd3f.jpg

Septicstudio wrote:

Simmons SDS series suxxx imo

you should visit a doctor..

Septicstudio wrote:

only the SDS3 is an exception...

ever used one, or others told you?

TB or not TB

SSM v3 wrote:

Cheers for the tips guys! smile I've seen those MPC units and the Kit as well. They come up in the UK from time to time as I think it was an English company. Interesting you sold the DSM Freek, was it due to crap sound?

No the DSM (the same as on septics pic) sounded pretty good but I also had a PearlDrumX and a Techstar305 (both got stolen). My first drumsynth (if the HC2 doesn't count) was a SDS400 wich sounded different than the DSM, Pearl or Tama. Those 3 have a more deep/thick/punchy sound but way less versatile. The SDS400 was way more suitable for various kinds of percussion (snares, claves, cowb, bleeps, effects, toms/congas, etc) and those others I used mainly for bass and toms and an occasinal snare.. I sold the DSM before those other 2 got nicked and wouldnt mind having one back again because most drumsynths I own now have a different range..

this is my (modified) MPC The KIT:

http://www.pulsecode.org/~fre2k/MUZAK/pics/KIT_top.jpg

http://www.pulsecode.org/~fre2k/MUZAK/pics/KIT_back.jpg

TB or not TB

whatever.....

I didnt know that it was not allowed to have a opinion that isnt the mainstream one here...

Goodbye

ps: keep in mind that 'The KIT' doesnt have trigger-ins originally

TB or not TB

Septicstudio wrote:

whatever.....

I didnt know that it was not allowed to have a opinion that isnt the mainstream one here...

Goodbye

I was just wondering where you got your opinion from..

TB or not TB

Thanks for infos. Nice tune Tony! Those toms get a serious work on out on there... They do indeed sound pretty tasty. Septic, where did you get those Icon Designs from? Are they recent? They look sweet. 

The SDS 400 looks nice, quite similar to some of the Tech Star stuff. What's the sound of the Kit like? It looks like the sounds aren't that controllable, at least in its original state...

@SSM, thanks, I think the M.P.C. drum synths have pretty good envelopes and they sound a bit more hifit han the Tamas.

@septic, I noticed the Icon Design has DSM in it name, is it made by M.P.C. also?