Re: Should I buy...

FLAME echometer looks super cool. I'm wondering if it can be used as a three chanel midi cv converter. That would be a bonus but having 3 midi loops to cv out sequencer is damn near awesome for my modular. I think its going to be a must buy.

Still need to test my RME 400 as ive heard it can record CV as its dc coupled or whatever. Possible to record CV and play modular with an audio channel but still to discover if that works but could be similar result.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the echometer? Might be hot jamming tool. Also that step sequencer thing they are releasing looks fun also.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

Roland R8  plus  Solton MD 1600 digital echo  for 140eur?

Should I buy a MAM vocoder?

Is it any good? I read it's supposed to be inspired by the svc-350 by Roland.

How much is it worth?

R8 and an echo for 140? immediately (for the r8, would not be much interested in the echo)

i'm seriously thinking about this:

http://www.cre-online.de/picture/dimavery/26222072.jpg

i've always secretly wanted to play a fretless bass, and i love the sound of them..and these things sell on ebay for a lousy 126 euri new.. i'm reading up on them, and they are apparently not that bad. anyone here have any experience?

181 (edited by meschi 2008-11-27 20:12:15)

what make is it.

I have for my entire bass playing life, about ten years since I was a nipper, ALWAYS wanted a fretless bass. The sound of them are are just amazing. My old bass teacher had a fender fretless that cost him loads and he always let me play it.

there shuold be no secret in wanting one smile

I once owned a:

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/932/682039.JPG

untill it got stolen..

sad

TB or not TB

@freek: nice! my friend has the same rickenbacker in red.. from '76. too bad it was stolen..

@meschi: it's a dimavery mm501. sure its cheap chinese junk compared to real quality fretless basses, but as you mention those are expensive. i have a chinese model flying v copy though thats actually quite a nice guitar.. even some guitar playing friends that normall only swear by fenders and stuff were surprised.

my problem is though that i'm lefthanded.. so to get a ;efthanded fretless, i either have to convert strings and stuff, or get a normal left handed bass and defret it..

Ive never heard of the make man, but if it sounds as nice as you say then why not. Youve got me thinking of getting one now.

If only we could all afford a fender jazz.

I miss playing fretless. Mick Karn has been a massive influence throughout my 22 years of playing...
Back between 1990-1995, I played a Steinberger XM2A bass as I couldn't afford a Wal. But I got pissed off by the clammy feeling the graphite neck gave my fingers.

Someday I'd like to go back to a walnut-bodied Fender Jazz Bass fretless with Lindy Fralin pickups wound to '62 standard, whenever that day comes!

rude66 wrote:

my problem is though that i'm lefthanded.. so to get a ;efthanded fretless, i either have to convert strings and stuff, or get a normal left handed bass and defret it..

or do the same as Hendrix did, play left handed with a right handed guitar.. it worked for him smile

TB or not TB

Soundcraft 200sr? 

I've always liked the look of the 200b, but a 200sr has come up for sale locally.  Is there a big difference between the two?

@freek: problem with bass guitars is that they have this big piece sticking out on one side (look at your rickenbacker) so you can't play the high notes..

@woody: mick karn's sound is definitely what i'm thinking of..though its probably very hard to get to that level. i'm reading everywhere that playing fretless is much more hard and involved anyway than a normal bass.. i always liked the looks of those steinbergers btw..

but on ebay UK i found this:

http://i13.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/1f/cd/f6de_1_sbl.JPG

a lefthanded fretless for about the same price.. now let's see what shipping to holland would be..

@ rude 66:
I suppose I admit to that from experience. Since I haven't played fretless frequently since I sold that bass, I find that my vibrato/glissando techniques have evaporated off my left (neck) hand, which is the one that needs all that discipline and precision.

rude66 wrote:

@freek: problem with bass guitars is that they have this big piece sticking out on one side (look at your rickenbacker) so you can't play the high notes..

and I guess finding a left handed bass is less fuzz as reversing the way you play..

I dont play bass left or right handed smile

a friend who played contrabass in a Rockabillyband told me that its much harder playing fretless..

TB or not TB

191 (edited by alex_d_steak 2008-11-28 18:44:25)

I spent my last 16 years playing bass, first a fretted, cheap 4 strings, then I had a fretless 5 strings, which I quickly exchanged for a fretted
Yamaha TRB5P (still 5 strings).

I love the fretless sound, but In the two years that I have tried to learn it I was never comfortable with the lack of frets.

Now, after many years, I finally own this:

http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/stick/stick.jpg

(this is a picture I found around, mine is an old polycarbonate 10 strings, bought used here in Switzerland)

I am waiting anyways till march 09 that I will get a brand new graphite extended 12 strings.... and overall $5000 less in my bank account tongue

alex

Powertran Transcendent 2000

Does anybody have experience with this?

Info from the net:
"Designed in the UK by Tim Orr of EMS Marketed by POWERTRAN of Andover, Hampshire
As used by: Thomas Dolby, New Order, Joy Division..."

Apparently came a s a kit.

sounds juicy....

If you're looking for a nice bass for a good price, it's really worth checking out the "lawsuit era" ones that were made in japan in the early eighties. Brands like Tokai, Greco, Burny, Fernandes, Aria and stuff like that are the shit. There's a lot of hype around the MIJ thing, but they are actually really really good instruments, lightyears away from the chinese copies they sell these days. I have a greco strat that is very nice, and that was one of their lower end models i think...

of course you won't get one of those for 126 euro... they usually go from 300-400 dollars on ebay. Still I really good price imho.

cimabot wrote:

Powertran Transcendent 2000

Does anybody have experience with this?

Info from the net:
"Designed in the UK by Tim Orr of EMS Marketed by POWERTRAN of Andover, Hampshire
As used by: Thomas Dolby, New Order, Joy Division..."

Apparently came a s a kit.

sounds juicy....

Fantastic synth, nice that your looking for my Christmas pressie early!

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

but be aware if its a kit, that there can be 1000 things wrong with it.. the quality very much depends on the original builder.

as for the bass, i've borrowed a hohner bass from a friend that's been made fretless.. and i have to say i'm much more comfortable playing bass than guitar.. i have big hands and i always seem to hit more strings on the guitar neck than i want to. no such problems with the bass..but i have to say this one kind of lacks that typical fretless bass sound..

computerdisco wrote:

hehehe... wrapped up your mono/poly yet?

rude66 wrote:

but be aware if its a kit, that there can be 1000 things wrong with it.. the quality very much depends on the original builder..

seems safe, the seller gives full detailed description of functionality and crackling pots where applicable, there's also this site full of tips on how to improve signal to noise ratio and apply some interesting mods... http://www.cykong.com/Synths/Transcende … nt2000.htm

it's bound to look and feel cheap, but I am sure it won't be worst than my Moog Prodigy, with which it definitely shares the looks smile

a phllicorda?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSbZJJfsHmQ

touch your fear, dont be afraid!

The philicordas are great. Really warm 'woody' sound, and they are so cute and compact. Don't think the later dual manual ones are any good though, aim for the early small models (GM751/GM752 they're called if I remember correctly) My band used to have couple of 752's  that served us well, but they got replaced by a Vox Continental, and I've been wanting to get another one ever since. They were both the transistorized models with the built in speakers, but the earlier model the gm751or whatever had a separate speaker mounted between the legs, under the main chassi, and that model was tube powered. I'm guessing that sounds even better than the transistor ones. They also have nice connectability as you can patch external  sounds through the speakers and built in spring reverb. This is just off the top of my head, I'm sure theres tons of info on them on the net! But for the right price definitely worth seeking out!

btw last I heard, our organ that we bought for 6 euro was at Noel Gallaghers house (!).

cimabot wrote:
computerdisco wrote:

hehehe... wrapped up your mono/poly yet?

rude66 wrote:

but be aware if its a kit, that there can be 1000 things wrong with it.. the quality very much depends on the original builder..

seems safe, the seller gives full detailed description of functionality and crackling pots where applicable, there's also this site full of tips on how to improve signal to noise ratio and apply some interesting mods... http://www.cykong.com/Synths/Transcende … nt2000.htm

it's bound to look and feel cheap, but I am sure it won't be worst than my Moog Prodigy, with which it definitely shares the looks smile

i've always wanted to check out those transcendent 2000's to see how it compares next to our prodigy. very cool cimabot! speaking of kits, has anyone ever checked out or built one of those Fatman's over at http://www.paia.com/fatman.asp ??

any commentary if so?

@rude66, not sure what type of guitars you've been playing on, but i've found gibsons and epiphones have a  wider neck than fenders and fender clones. doesn't compare to the wide bass neck, but i still notice a difference.

worship the potentiometer.