Re: Should I buy...

Really been wanting midibox seq v3 but now i've got a working setup and ableton 7.12 claims to have tightened midi timing. Still might build midibox v3. Really looks cool.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

from what i understood from people who have one, it's a nice little monosynth.. paia has had a kit history from the 70's, so they should know how to do things. there's also a ton of mods out there for it..

as for the guitars, ive always had this problem with guitars, no matter which one. big hands, big fingers.. i'm playing a flying v clone now, and it has the same...

203 (edited by SOS 2008-12-05 22:43:10)

i want my next synth purchase to be a monosynth with 2 oscillators - i guess either a promars or a pro one...the promars seems to be EXTREMELY rare these days tho...leaning slightly towards the pro one, due to the sequencer and the nice modulation capacities it has...
any other suggestions for something in the less than $1000 price range?

SOS wrote:

i want my next synth purchase to be a monosynth with 2 oscillators - i guess either a promars or a pro one...the promars seems to be EXTREMELY rare these days tho...leaning slightly towards the pro one, due to the sequencer and the nice modulation capacities it has...
any other suggestions for something in the less than $1000 price range?

what kind of sound are you looking for and how do you want to use it?

TB or not TB

Both are good choices.
They're both pretty versatile, the Pro-One a bit more maybe (modulation, sequencer and input).
The Pro-Mars is rarer, but probably cheaper.
The Pro-One is much lighter but not as well built, it has bad keys and cheap knobs.
The Pro-mars has nice sliders and knobs.

I've never owned a Pro-Mars, but I have a Jupiter 4. I also have a Pro-One and I think, based mostly on sound , I'd go with that if I had to pick just one.

want something better for bass, primarily, although versatility is something of an issue - i would like a synth that is good for effects, percussion, and noisy stuff, too (again, making hte pro one a good candidate)...
would either play, triggering externally, or control w/ csq...
don't want any midi gear or anything (unless it has a trigger input at least), and something v-trigger is preferred to s-trigger...

yeah, the pro-one does have pretty shoddy build and sticky keys... i do love the sound, though. i'd be a bit afraid playing with it live, maybe, though...

ProMars IMHO. But it depends on which kind og music you make...

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

a promars is going to be hard to find and i also get the impression that you can't do a lot of the two osc tricks that are the reason you usually want two oscs in the first place (sync, ringmod, fm/crossmod)

yeah, the promars is definitely a more conservative synth, i suppose. i do like the sound a lot (although i haven't actually played one). are they very heavy? i know the jup 4 weighs a ton..
is there anything else i should be looking for? moog prices seem relatively stable these days, compared to roland prices. how much of a hassle would be to convert a prodigy or a rogue to roland-compatible voltage? i'm guessing too much...

210 (edited by no-fi 2008-12-06 07:09:29)

SOS wrote:

how much of a hassle would be to convert a prodigy or a rogue to roland-compatible voltage? i'm guessing too much...

CV on both roland and moog is v/oct.

gate -> s trigger conversion is trivial.
you can make the circuit inside the cable that plugs into the S-trig input on the moog.

and I'm pretty sure the moog rogue has gate input anyway. (taurus 2 does, and it's a keyboardless rogue)

thanks, no-fi. i'd been lead to believe it would be something of a hassle to use a moog, but now maybe i'll keep my eyes open for a cheap rogue or something...

@SOS
rogues are really cool but i have noticed the price on them keeps going way up, at least in the US. i've seen them go for about the price of a prodigy or a pro one so good luck in the search!

we were taking our prodigy on the road a lot but it broke on us twice, i think due to power surges in crap clubs. i was hoping that paia fatman was decent so we could have a solid road mono.

worship the potentiometer.

Maybe a power conditioner would help?

yow, they seemed to be going for 400-500 or so within the last year, but if they're going for 700-800, i'll just get a pro-one...it seems like ALL synth prices have jumped up 30% or so in the past year...

Yes I noticed that too.
A lot of gear doubled in price since I started looking for gear on/off eBaY in 2002.

TONY COPS wrote:

Maybe a power conditioner would help?

probably do me some good to get one of those tony!

yeah i noticed the rogues jumping in price and remember seeing 2 or 3 in really good condition going for about 750/800... nuts. we got our pro-one for $400, but it's glitchy as hell so i imagine it needs about $200 worth of work at least.

worship the potentiometer.

Who wants a cheap Oasys?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/950955099.html

I like this guys add for his ARP

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/arp-odyssey-mark … 240%3A1318

219 (edited by TONY COPS 2008-12-10 14:46:31)

Check out this Guy's ad :  http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/msg/951993116.html

If anybody remember my post on the CBS forum about the construction guy who buys all the analog synths, It's him!
Looks like he finally found his Synthex, and he's selling it already.

http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/51/32053451.html

Is this a good price ?

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of whats really going on.

TONY COPS wrote:

Check out this Guy's ad :  http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/msg/951993116.html

If anybody remember my post on the CBS forum about the construction guy who buys all the analog synths, It's him!
Looks like he finally found his Synthex, and he's selling it already.

Does this guy buy synths for cheap and resell them? A guy in Edmonton did that for two years and made enough for a down payment on a house.

Overzealous hobbyist who's lost the passion? Work slowed down with the recession and he needs some cash?

There's no way he's getting 8 grand for the Synthex. People can't even get 4 or 5 for them right now on EBay. It would have to come with Jean Michel Jarre.

222 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-12-10 18:39:44)

Those prices are indeed ridicolous CS30 for 1700$, way too much for such a stupid synth, truly the most overrated synth ever

MXR flanger 750$ fuck man uber rip off who the hell is going to pay that

I really wonder what the guy's motivation is.

I think he paid high price for some of them, but the prices listed are ridiculous.
I wonder what his price references are, but most things are higher than eBay.
I don't think he'll sell any of it.

What's the going rate for a juno 60 these days? That guy wants 230 euro for his, that's not too bad? In Sweden that's pretty much what the 106's are going for.

plikestechno wrote:

Does this guy buy synths for cheap and resell them? A guy in Edmonton did that for two years and made enough for a down payment on a house.

What's the point of having a house if you don't have any synths to put in it?

Pages Previous 1 7 8 9 10 11 87 Next

You must login or register to post a reply