Re: Cheapest setup without too much pc involved

+1 on the electribes.

and the sx1 and emx1's now come with SD card slots so you can have like 32GB of samples.  big_smile

worship the potentiometer.

I find hybrid pc/hardware solutions always something difficult or annoying.

Problem with this thread is that you won't find out yourself without trying it yourself: I can hardly think of anything more individual and related to personal tastes than making music. Me for example, I use only an 8-tracker, a drummachine, and one synth. and wouldn't ever want more. Would love to exchange the existing gear with more expensive stuff though.  big_smile

Not that I have tried it yet myself, but according to the specs (and I recommend to research more) I'd combine the following.

Ensoniq SQ-80 (circa $200) that has a sequencer, is multi timbral, analog filters 8 voices.
+ Electribe ES-1 (circa $150) + a mixer.

sq-80s are awesome! the filters are great.  i've never messed with the sequencers on them.  the oscillators are 8 bit, a little dark/muddy, so they wont sing like a juno that costs 2-3x more tho.  maybe also not as bright as a new VA synth but overall sounds better with the filters and super programmable.  you only have two outputs so aside from l-r hard panning there's not a lot of options for routing and setting the levels in realtime.  you can make great samples from it to load into the es sampler.  the esx-1 is so, so, so much better than the es-1, but the es-1 is still cool enough to just bang something out.  effects/filters/lfo, all that extremely limited on the es-1 in comparison.  es samplers only give you two channels of mono melody sequencing.

yeah boyeee

sq-80s are really great for basic stuff, but since they've only got the two outputs the possibilities are limited (you can pan the individual sounds pretty well from what i recall).  also, as i remember it you can record the data slider to the track volume and pan tracks in the built-in sequencer, though i did sell mine about two years ago so don't take my word on that for sure.  definitely worth getting one though since the sequencer is a superb introduction to the hardware sequencing menu-based approach of the period and you can always upgrade to a roland or yamaha box if you want to, or stick with the sq-80 and add in an FB01 or some other cheap multi-timbral unit to max out the voices.  the filters are really good too, but as with all ensoniq stuff from then it's a very dark sounding synth.