26 (edited by Klart 2011-11-14 14:09:29)

Re: Beat matching habits

dbl post

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

Transitions & track selections should always add something to the music (why are you even DJing/mixing otherwise?). I prefer a good mixture of genres, especially when dancing (an all nighter of the same genre of techno or d'n'b bores me to death). As long as you avoid mixing genres just for the gimmick effect, you can have great results (check Optimo's Kill The DJ mix or the King Of Techno mixes by Laurent Garnier (mixing Aretha Franklin – Rock Steady into Arpanet –    NTT DoCoMo !) & Carl Craig, Theo Parrish does a great job live).

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

so often I see people fucking up because they want to mix tracks/styles to death... Imo: sometimes you mix, sometimes you blend, sometimes you scratch, sometimes just drop, sometimes tune in, but one should always rock ; ) Just be creative, there are 1000 plus ways to connect music  ..

TB or not TB

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

And btw, I mostly mix ambient, you can't beatmatch ambient, you can only mix them by melody and mood

and do they dance?  big_smile

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

whatever you do, if people are not dancing, you suck.

streppe wrote:
Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

And btw, I mostly mix ambient, you can't beatmatch ambient, you can only mix them by melody and mood

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

whatever you do, if people are not dancing, you suck.

I'm an idiot + I suck

"A Real Music Hater"

http://chzjustcapshunz.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/funny-captions-spiderman-the-club.gif

rude66 wrote:

but aehm.. isn't this what slipmats were invented for? so you nudge the record on vit mat but the platter still spins?

Hm. I have kinda learned myself not to tocuh the record as little as possible. Dunno even why.
So basically i could nudge the platter if i need rough corrections, but just fiddle with the side of the vinyl to do some delicate nudging.
Didn't realize i need to rethink so much stuff now that i finally have the sl1200's big_smile

Or maybe i just need to practice more by using the pitch only.

http://fossa.bandcamp.com
Shitting in a lavatory, conducting experiments.
Farticles come near and disappear.

streppe wrote:
Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

They dance, but in the hippie way wink

And hey i also wondered. Does anyone use or know people using the Technics' platter in a way that if the beat is very very very slightly off, like so little that nudging it by a one phase backward/forward, it would set it even more off, you would just keep your finger on the side of the platter and maybe nudge it one phase backward after you've kept it off the phase for a long enough time.

I'm just really curious of learning beatmix like really surgically big_smile
All that nudging around kinda gives sometimes a good DIY feel to the mix in live situations, but when making a mixtape, it should be very accurate, imo.

Well trying to explain how to mix on turntables is kind of like explaining how to ride a bicycle  big_smile
Everyone has their own approach. Some do small corrections by twisting or squeezing spindle of a platter (on high torque turntables this technique is useless).

PS. if You have MK2's I would advise checking turntable for double 0 error. It might be very confusing for newbie

36 (edited by most complicated robot 2011-11-17 13:46:09)

Queen Of Blood wrote:

@ most complicated robot
"people don't really listen, unless they are djs themselves,..."
-> i'm not a dj. but i listen. especially when on the dancefloor. nothing worse than a bad transition (okay, bad music is even more worse)... it can ruin the whole vibe.

bad transitions are bad, still I can't compare them with djs that take themselves too seriously, I think all this what to do or not to do it gets a bit over the top, I always had a flavor for that type of fucked up rock n roll whatever, and I very much enjoy to see those djs that fuck it all up, can't stand up anymore, but feels they are having the time of their life. And if the mix come shit, oh well, time you think it it's already gone & forgotten. Djs that are too serious on the decks are not much fun.

I'm thinking of Harvey, or even larry levan. But that's my opinion.

In general, let me put it like that, it's either a job, a job that you love and you try to do it as best as you can, learning all the nudging secrets and whatnot, practicing a lot, preparing it, writing things down, having a concept. Really, very much job alike. Or something completely else, something that you enjoy for the moment, something that you can get lost in it.

edit: something you do with your brain, or something you do with your body.

37 (edited by DumbBot 2011-11-17 17:26:11)

i'd 100%agree with that, what amazed me about those who had written things down & planned stuff was they were comparative youngsters(ok, younger than me tongue)...maybe scared of making an arse of themselves? i was surprised at the lack of buckwild, freedom & enjoyment in what they were doing.
The reason why playing/buying records is still part of my life is that it is soo much fun big_smile ....i don't care that i suck big_smile

Let's get Dumb

word dumbbot, I just believe very much in those last words I wrote, you can do it perfect, with your brain, all greatly executed. But I still rather jack my body first, now this is in the mouth of everyone lately, but who's really jacking? And if jack the keeper takes me to some foolish land, in which I can't mix anymore cos I don't see straight, then be it. Or maybe I'm just a junkie wink

39 (edited by cebteq 2011-11-18 19:13:10)

Anyone who performs in front of a group of people is already taking himself too seriously.  Nothing worse than the "casual" dj in jeans and a t-shirt saying hey guys don't mind me but check out this cool music I listen to and by the way I can't mix

yeah! much better wearing pointy shoes, shirt and tie, saying hey guys, don't listen to the music, look how cool is my tie, and if you can't mix anyway, at least you look good. I agree.

in a way you gotta respect them because at least theyre not trying to hide the gigantic ego that comes with being a dj

Real Name - Rob Ricciuti
AKA - DJ Xitmint
Appearance - Smart Casual
Jobs - DJ, Radio DJ on 101.5 Example FM (UK)
DJing style - Euro Dance / House / Freestyle / Old School / Hip Hop / Reggae / Latin / Rock
Known for - Being a TOP DJ
Recording pseudonyms - DJ Xitmint / Rob R
Where to see/hear - examplefm.net Sunday 10pm - 12am
Do Say - oi oiiiiiiiii !!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-L3JCQnRp0_U/TahE6WNRHyI/AAAAAAAAAWg/q2ia6h0j0tE/s1600/2007DJXITMINT_op_720x540.jpg

Smart Casual Dj... lol

Let's get Dumb

cebteq wrote:

in a way you gotta respect them because at least theyre not trying to hide the gigantic ego that comes with being a dj

you always say the things how they are cebteq.
I play a lot on acid party's and yes, it's good for the ego, especially when you're mostly depressed during the week.

"A Real Music Hater"

If it sounds good, it is good.

Who cares anyway. If people are enjoying themselves on your music, you're doing a good thing.

45 (edited by Fossa 2011-11-21 11:31:50)

This thread is going offtrack.
I want more tech talk about wacky transitions and mixing smile

Yesterday night i tried mixing with the pitch only. Forcing myself not to touch the platter. Wasn't that hard. It's just that when you (think) i've found the perfect spot for the pitch fader, i get kinda jealous not to move it anymore so i wont fuck up the setting.