Re: Anyone listened to SAW II lately?

if you tasted a fine cheese would you not inquire to it's origins?
i'm a big fan of that particular string sound so i obsess a little. so what.

ow gawd not this conversation roll
isnt there a rephlex forum somewhere?  dutch copycats got me pulling my hair out

which dutch copycats?

ehh  nevermind, they probably wouldnt let me in anyway big_smile

http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargainimgdsp.asp?Item=4856

Guyver 303 wrote:

@ Squadra

Sadly my discs of SAWII faced the same fate, can't keep the feckin things.
Might get the vinyl version for myself for Christmas wink

the vinyl version also has an amazing track that didn't appear on the CD (although, it's also available cheap on thiscompilation).

i've heard that both of the vinyl pressings (there's brown and black vinyl editions) sound really crappy though, and it's generally pretty expensive to get, so maybe not worth it smile.

but yeah, this album is a true masterpiece imo.

A good AFX track is the ultimate nostalgia for me

jacderida wrote:
Guyver 303 wrote:

@ Squadra

Sadly my discs of SAWII faced the same fate, can't keep the feckin things.
Might get the vinyl version for myself for Christmas wink

the vinyl version also has an amazing track that didn't appear on the CD (although, it's also available cheap on thiscompilation).

i've heard that both of the vinyl pressings (there's brown and black vinyl editions) sound really crappy though, and it's generally pretty expensive to get, so maybe not worth it smile.

but yeah, this album is a true masterpiece imo.

i distinctly remember some tracks on the CD having some distorted peaks. its my only complaint about the album

34 (edited by Guyver 303 2008-11-14 21:40:53)

mushaden wrote:

A good AFX track is the ultimate nostalgia for me

ditto wink

"Hey Sweden."
"They're Norwegian Mac."
http://weforfeit.blogspot.com.es/

I listen to SAW and SAW II quite a bit... and Bluff Limbo and Tango N'Vectif and all that good ole hype shit.

-tp

lunatic harness?

jacderida wrote:

i'd imagine the brown vinyl might sound poorer?  isn't there a story that more brown copies were produced, though they were called limited edition?  mmm...not sure

Havent listened to it in 10 years. much prefer polygon window but the blue calx track is quite calming and nice.

and on the synth note, If you're interested in synths,sometimes you can't help but wonder what was used on your favourite tracks.  In a way, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall to see some great records recorded, but it might take some of the magic out as well!

i wonder if some of them were juno-106 through a midiverb, or something close to that. when i hooked up my 106 to that reverb i immideately thought, saw2!

big fan of saw & saw2...aphex rules. Though I think my favourite from him would have to be Icct Hedral and also the Philip Glass version

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

cebteq wrote:

ironic that in showing the world good tunes could be made using any random synth, people still focus on the synth roll

Thats not really 'any synth' though and I think it's valid to ask what makes those sounds in fact I think there should be a synth discogs that lists the synths used in all tracks. It's a very complex FM synth. Very deep. I don't think you could just use any synth alone for such works even with Afx's talents. For example a simple rompler would never give you such complex timbres or the range of almost unique sounds. It's a tribute to how powerful FM is.

I hate the fact that information is considered irrelevant and that knowledge will be lost in time.
Everytime I hear a sound I wonder what synth has made the sound, mainly out of curiosity and for the love of Synthesis. I think Synths and drum machines need credit also. What would blade runner soundtrack be without the CS80, italo without the linndrum or Synthex, acid without the 303, chicago house without the 707, Detroit without 909 and the list goes on...in many cases certain machines have direct correlation to music movements.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

41 (edited by cebteq 2008-11-17 18:24:16)

normal people vs those with a synth complex
maybe he was trying to take a stand against the machines that define a style of music