Topic: Anyone listened to SAW II lately?

Amazing.

"Hey Sweden."
"They're Norwegian Mac."
http://weforfeit.blogspot.com.es/

Re: Anyone listened to SAW II lately?

nice topic! i listen to sawII maybe once a year. this was the first music my cat heared when she was a little kitten. we love afx!

what's saw II?

Selected Ambient Works II by Aphex Twin.

lärm macht spass!

LOL
never thought about it this way, stupid me...
funny i was listen to it last week, wanted to recommend it to my 11 years old niece.

One of his greatest albums, I had to throw the album away this year because the discs were too fucked up to play anymore (ie it had been on repeat for > 10 years). I like SAW 85-92 also maybe even better and Polygon Window Surfing on Sine Waves, those 3 are imo among the great masterpieces of electronic music

Who's the first to mention he/she was thinking of the movie? big_smile

me

me2

Heil CBS

they better call those movies sick instead of saw 1, 2 , 412 cause they are

Vlam Aan

I had SAWII really nice brown vinyl, some f**ker stole it from me, I miss it loads, was on heavy rotation, everyday for years and years.

Such a wonderful record - sleeve design amazing as well.

Squadra Smackos wrote:

One of his greatest albums, I had to throw the album away this year because the discs were too fucked up to play anymore (ie it had been on repeat for > 10 years). I like SAW 85-92 also maybe even better and Polygon Window Surfing on Sine Waves, those 3 are imo among the great masterpieces of electronic music

Agreed!

( v )
  \/

( v )
  \/

( v )
  \/

always good for a journey. especially those packed with ritualistic safety practices.

rimini wrote:
Squadra Smackos wrote:

Agreed!

Really? I have SAW 85-92 but don't rate it as you guys do.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.  ~Bertrand Russell

For me Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is an important record that has a been an inspiration ever since I heard it for the first time.

16 (edited by Guyver 303 2008-11-13 14:57:59)

@ Squadra

Sadly my discs of SAWII faced the same fate, can't keep the feckin things.
Might get the vinyl version for myself for Christmas wink

"Hey Sweden."
"They're Norwegian Mac."
http://weforfeit.blogspot.com.es/

C. wrote:

Who's the first to mention he/she was thinking of the movie? big_smile

uhh why would one LISTEN to THAT. saw2 is the bestest

SAW II was THE album that got me interested in electronic/synthesizer oriented music. I have played it to death too and used to put it on several times a week before going to sleep a few years back. Sometimes i accidently had it on repeat which gives you a weird feeling when you wake up the next day yikes

Bottomline, it is truly great still and re-hearable for may years into the future. My copy also got outplayed long ago btw

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."

Question: 12. Match Sticks has strings that sound akin to X-103's Minnia from Atlantis. Anyone knows the source of this immense overpowering sound?

I read on the internet that the whole SAW II album was made on a SY99 from Yamaha, could be but nobody knows for sure. Jeff Mills also used a Yamaha SY/TG...

nice one squackius. i'm off to steep myself in all things SY related...

22 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-11-13 19:15:44)

Rumour has it that Jeff Mills (and UR) used the TG33 which is the same as the SY22/35, the most "simplest" in the series (2 operator FM + vector rom wave synthesis) they are very cheap but great fun. Then there is the SY77/TG55 or something which is 6 operator FM + AWM synthesis. The SY85 is a bit of an odball in the series cause it has only AWM synthesis and no FM. The SY99 is the uber flagship workstation with 6 operator FM, importing of samples and a very advanced effects processor.

Again there is no proof he used that on SAW II, I just read it somewhere that somebody was claiming 100% that it was that synth, that he could recognise it instantly...but it could also be just a nutcase just randomly brabbling. I never had a SY99, just a SY77 briefly which I didn't touch much so I couldn't tell.

23 (edited by cebteq 2008-11-13 19:20:11)

ironic that in showing the world good tunes could be made using any random synth, people still focus on the synth roll

I dunno, that stuff is always interesting to know what gear is used on certain tracks, at least I think it is.

Nobody is going to make another SAWII if they buy a SY99 but if you are into synths and you listen to SAW II don't you wonder how it is made? (ok maybe after listening to it for the 50th time)

@smackos, hmm i cant say i ever really thought about it.  i would read how he makes his own synths and what I would hear sounded more than the machines they were made with.  then i assumed that because of his name he was saying he is better than the machines smile