Topic: I think I fucked up most of my records

my apartment has the floor heating, I have my records on the floor, now, here is really cold, so the heating is working like a machine to keep the flat warm.

Most of my records I discover lately have a background hiss, or a background rustle, how you wanna call it. I think the heat got the grooves a bit distorted...

shit shit shit

Re: I think I fucked up most of my records

oh damn man...i hope theres some solution for that. Theres nothing visible on the rec's?

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."

Mhmmm... As far as I understand the heat can't deform the grooves or bring a background noise to them but it can deform the whole record.. I have a few records that were stored near a heat radiator and they're all got warped.

Anyway it's really sad. sad

lärm macht spass!

interesting.. never heard of this happening. dont know if that possible from a floor heater though.. there is a floor in between the heating elements and the records.
if its true, i couldn't think of a cure though.. except selling them, claim ignorance, and re-buy.. big_smile

rude the business man smile

and deutschmark, yes, this is what I though too, that is why I let them there, but still, records that had perfectly clean sound now had a sort of back hiss distortion, and heat is the only possible reason, in fact, continuous heat, even low and not direct, can affect the grooves. I'm fucking reading all evening about that.

obviously there is no cure, that noise is there and will stay there.

oh well

Not to be captain obvious here, but youre sure it isnt the needle or something else hardware related?

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."

yeah.. take some of the records with the hiss to friend and see if they sound the same there.. just to be shure it's the records that causes the trouble

Sounds bad.
I have about 300 of my records in front of central heating with like 40cm between... asking for troubles?

heat, sun, humidity, dust, etc. damn, those things are like old bordeaux bottles...
hope for you it's only a needle or electric problem

sorry...( wonderin' which used to be bias's replique )

lern2pley

?

k stfu gtfo

Very sad to hear sad

but.. how hot are we talking here??
Like others said, I've had records a bit physically deformed from heat or overcrowding, but only audible damage has been from bad stylus or dirt.

Check 'em on other equipment I think.

play the records somewhere else..maybe the heat farked up your amps or you have an ear infection or aliens replaced your records with the ones they ruined in their heated homes

sure, I'll check them at dominik place soon. Still I think there will be no difference.

it's pretty sad though.
Hope have been the aliens to do so.

the needles are almost new.

PS a suggestion, buy ortofon broadcast S (best not to fuck your records up) well, too late anyway.

Compare it with a friend's copy?

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

this seems strange, floor heating shouldn't get too hot for records to deform. but i'm not sure how hot your floor gets.
usually the record will be warped from heating. but maybe the floor heating heated up the records very slowly and equally so the whole record sort of melted a bit without warping it.

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:

Sounds bad.
I have about 300 of my records in front of central heating with like 40cm between... asking for troubles?

40cm might be just enough, but be careful. better put something in between and check how hot it gets.