Topic: Ikea Expedit For Records

Im in the middle of painting my new appartment and want to store my records in Ikea Expedit's.
I allready have two of them and I think that should be enough for now. What I want to do is to put both of them on wheels but Im not sure if the 4x4 Expedit will hold. According to the Ikea website it's ok to do it with the 2x4 Expedit but not with the 4x4 or 5x5. On the 2x4 I'll put wheels because then it will be the right height to put my turntables on but to keep it the cubes on te same height I want to have the 4x4 on wheels as well. Can I do it without destroying the Expedit? Did any of you have done it?

Please let me know.

Re: Ikea Expedit For Records

I guess you have to add a "steunbalk" on the back or something so it won't collapse, some extra metal corner things etc.

i put an expedit on wheels for an ex housemate of mine, i took a 1,5cm thick plywood board, fixed wheels onto plywood and then screwed it onto the expedit, you should do that since the records are too heavy and the bottom board of expedit is hollow. it's easy to do, of course you need to buy wheels that hold that much weight and two should have a break. it get's pretty unstable on wheels and fully packed with records, so fix it to the wall for safety too.

just put the weels not at the edges but on 1/4 from each side and the "maximal moment" should be considerably less on the bottom slab. 1st class mechanics wink

--/~~~~ wrote:

just put the weels not at the edges but on 1/4 from each side and the "maximal moment" should be considerably less on the bottom slab. 1st class mechanics wink

You do know the crap Ikea build defies all logic, right?

ice wrote:

i put an expedit on wheels for an ex housemate of mine, i took a 1,5cm thick plywood board, fixed wheels onto plywood and then screwed it onto the expedit, you should do that since the records are too heavy and the bottom board of expedit is hollow. it's easy to do, of course you need to buy wheels that hold that much weight and two should have a break. it get's pretty unstable on wheels and fully packed with records, so fix it to the wall for safety too.

what the use of having wheels and then attach it to the wall? I'm at loss here

I don't know, maybe fixing it to the wall prevent from a friend's bad idea, like using the wheely expedit as a mount on a steep slope

most complicated robot wrote:

what the use of having wheels and then attach it to the wall? I'm at loss here

maybe to be able to move it occasionally for cleaning or whatever else reason without having to kill your back doing it?! for fun and profit?! for you to wonder?! for me to kill some time, practice my drilling and sawing skills?!
anyway, it's safer to be able to fasten it to a wall when you don't need to move it around, ... just in case ... blah blah, jeez, ...

9 (edited by --/~~~~ 2008-11-03 01:12:55)

Brian Chinetti wrote:
--/~~~~ wrote:

well i did a quick calculation but if my memory doesnt fail me the max force will be only around 1/4 of the original force (rather momentum) but then on two places (around the weels instead of in the middle) . because the 4x4 expedit is twice as heavy the momentum is only 1/2 on both points of the max force (momentum) it can hold.

The reason why it can hold much more (4 times) is because the forces work opposed on both sides of the weel and partly cancel each other out.

so instead of

do this:

In short; you dont need to make any special construction.

is your name supposed to be a sword or something? lol

--/~~~~ wrote:
Brian Chinetti wrote:
--/~~~~ wrote:

well i did a quick calculation but if my memory doesnt fail me the max force will be only around 1/4 of the original force (rather momentum) but then on two places (around the weels instead of in the middle) . because the 4x4 expedit is twice as heavy the momentum is only 1/2 on both points of the max force (momentum) it can hold.

The reason why it can hold much more (4 times) is because the forces work opposed on both sides of the weel and partly cancel each other out.

so instead of

do this:

In short; you dont need to make any special construction.

but this will diminish the stability. maybe add more wheels?

anyway, i think the extra board with wheels is the best option.

the question remains: why put it on wheels? if it's packed with records you will still have a hard time moving it...

A cabinet get it's stability mostly from the weight that gets divided over the floor, and from a cross ( x )- like connection on the back. I guess if you put it on wheels a lot of that stability will be gone, so a board with wheels seems a better option to me. As for moving it, it depends on how much weight the wheels can take. Most Ikea wheels have just a pin as an axis so I doubt they'll move easily (especially on carpet), you'll be better of with wheels that have bearings.  Any hardware store will sell wheels with bearings, also for cabinets.

I have 3 Expedits full with records and no additional reinforcements and no wheels. Stable as a rock for years now.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.  ~Bertrand Russell

moguh wrote:

I have 3 Expedits full with records and no additional reinforcements and no wheels. Stable as a rock for years now.

but you dit attach them to the wall?

no, as Brian says the weightmakes it stable. The only alteration I did was a latje at the bottom of each shelf at 30 cm so the records  stands nice.

moguh wrote:

no, as Brian says the weightmakes it stable. The only alteration I did was a latje at the bottom of each shelf at 30 cm so the records  stands nice.

Very simple and good idea

http://www.knurft.nl/kast.jpg

The third Expedit is cut in half and has got an oldkeukenblad on top for the mixer en SL's

20 (edited by Scarface 2008-11-03 14:41:08)

^^ Nice little hide-away corner. smile

Not for away from buying my second Ikea 5x5. Mine also stands like a rock on it's own+records weight. Wouldn't want to have that ship on wheels b.t.w. The horror. Just choose a good spot and leave it standing on one place, if you ask me.

"Are you loving?"

21 (edited by spookie 2008-11-03 15:43:37)

if you put wheels under it don't use wheels that can turn round his axe(or at the most two on side) because otherwise from the slightest bobble your expedit gonna come down if you move it  and you can hold that kind of weight   

anyway find it a very tricky business to do it anyway

moguh wrote:

The third Expedit is cut in half and has got an oldkeukenblad on top for the mixer en SL's

I use the expedit for records as well, but for turntables I still relay on my good old fasion "gamma" storage racks

i'm tall enough that my record players fit on top of a whole Expedit.. big_smile

and funny to hear about the latjes, i did exactly the same..

what's a latje?

rude66 wrote:

i'm tall enough that my record players fit on top of a whole Expedit.. big_smile

and funny to hear about the latjes, i did exactly the same..

I'm tall enough, but got to many recordplayers wink