1 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-11-13 12:30:17)

Topic: Coil

It is 4 years ago today that John Balance fell of the landing

An odd bunch of occult Brittish eccentrics but they made some great music imo, they are right out there with the Pet Shop Boys as one of the great English influental bands or not?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~awolfe/coil.jpg

Re: Coil

Yes more than the PSB for sure wink
One of the greatest and most inspired band from the early industrial years, no doubt
Miss them a lot...

coil is great, just listened to the hellraiser themes
top stuff!

Vlam Aan

kuczera wrote:

coil is great, just listened to the hellraiser themes
top stuff!

Too scary for Hellraiser, according to legend!

Mastering the mystic arcana

5 (edited by frigid 2010-02-14 07:56:05)

scatology was just perfect, but never liked their background, always preferred the psb one.

always loved coil. as frigid says far too many releases to mention a favourite.

Coil = amazing group! Musick To Play In The Dark and Time Machines are 2 of my own favourites.

Anyone read this book? It covers Coil, NWW , C93, Whitehouse and the general post TG diaspora. It's being reissued soon and is highly recemmended!

I was just thinking the other day that pet shop boys is the greatest band ever

the phrase CULT  was made for bands like coil
respect !!!

ancestors from another galaxy

frigid wrote:

. saw them live only twice in my life, still remember the fluffy soft white John Balance wore on the funeral pictures and think of two songs which for me perfectly reflect his genius fragile poetic sensitivity; Broccoli and Where are you?

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5756/coil1jl6.jpg
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3387/coil1rh3.jpg

there you go, sweet reminiscence, ...

i remember hearing tracks from both scatology and horse rotorvator when they came out (this stuff was played here in holland on national radio at night) and for the first time hearing music that was actually genuinely scary.. this wasn't some weird experimental noise stuff like many others, those tracks genuinely sounded like they came from the other side. the hellraiser themes had that too. but those 2 albums are among my all time favourites, even to this day..

coil suxx

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

14 (edited by Central Services 2009-04-18 00:13:19)

i saw coil at the barbican a few years ago.

to me they were just overblown, pretentious wankers. It was like a spinal tap concert but not as funny.

Only concert I have walked out of.

Maybe I caught them on a bad day

Love their Black Light district LP. fantastic!

NilsP wrote:

nice one

Seen a few times live, but to be honest... never was really fond of them doing live.
Maybe one time only at Paradiso (Amsterdam)... blood from the air live... yummy!

But.. lots of their records are unbeatable, especially the first releases, that's guaranteed in my opinion and Rude66 too
They produced a lot, and very few bands created their own sound on such a high level.
I met them also a few times (long time ago allready) through David Tibet. Although I lost contact with him over quite some time now. I all I want to say is there pretty normal, but eccentric guys and not pretentious

Strictly Rockaas

NilsP wrote:

that album is fantastic.  also really great:  stolen and contaminated.

anyone heard anything newer than Black Light district?  I havent....

Uh

20 (edited by neferos 2008-11-25 17:55:14)

In the book Tape Delay, there's a very interesting interview of Coil. Obvioulsy they were into a kind of mystical quest or something...

http://www.charlesnealselections.com/images/books/tapedelay_cover.jpg

I really like everything I've heard by them. Unique sounding band.

All those Some Bizzare groups were very freaky. I loved "The Unacceptable Face of Freedom" album. Coil was a classic group.

TG - chris & cosy - coil -> industrial music wouldn't be there without them

I love that time machines, awesome work.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

Jhonn Balance died by falling off the stairs, drunk
what a way to die..

Vlam Aan