Topic: dynaudio bm15

Does anyone use Dynaudio BM15 monitors? They are probably way too loud for my room, but I want to hear that bass when I'm mixing. Any first-hand experience?

And does it make sense to power them with a Yamaha Ax 396 amp (until I save up money for a better one, not as a permanent solution)?

Re: dynaudio bm15

What are the specs for the room you want to use them in ?
A great thing about BM15's are their accuracy even at low performance so you shouldnt worry to much about them being to big seen from a mastering/mixing perspective, rather consider if you actually need them this big smile

Im using BM15's and wouldnt replace them with anything. Previously i used BM6 and added a BX30 sub, something i would also recommend to investigate depending on the room you want to use them in....

Re: Yamaha Ax396, you might get a lot more out of the BM15s with a better amp, but its a start.... in this matter i would also consider the BM15A in a comparison before buying an expensive hi-performance amp...

To listen is to learn

The room is 2.7 m wide, 4.5 m long, 2.6 m high, partially treated with some absorbers and bass traps.

Money is an issue in my case, so if I would go for active speakers at the same price as BM15p I could buy KRK V8 mkII , or VXT 8 or maybe Event TR8, which are also decent monitors, but I think dynaudio is superior to these in precise bass reproduction, isn't it?
I can't afford active dynaudios right now, except for BM5a, but I'm working on small woofers as it is, and this is the main reason I want to buy new monitors..

It's always the money factor, damn it!

BM15's would fit well with the room, you can justify that easily, but i would also flip it and say less can do the work too.... Have you considered comparing with a pair of BM6's with a fairly cheap active Sub.... in the end it might be a cheaper solution and give you the dynamics you are seeking. I must admit thought after having worked with both, the lower dynamics in the BM15s is amazing.

If the BM15's are the best in precise bass reproduction.... well now we are talking religion. No matter what the spec says, its what the ear hears that matters..... some would say Genelec, some would say KRK, some will say Mackie or something else... What matters is what you feel for and what works for you, no matter which brand smile

For me what works with Dynaudio Acoustics is the warmth and yet accurate dynamics in all ranges..

To listen is to learn

i called the shop today (they have huge discounts this month) to ask them would they set up monitors for me to listen and make a comparison, but they sold the BM15s, so i guess i'll go for something else then, while it's still cheap.

they have a good selection of other monitors so i'm sure i'll be able to pick ones that fit to my ears. i'll definitely consider the subwoofer, thanks for the idea wink