Re: usb turntables

that depends. what speakers are you using?

I run my shitty turntables through my jack-in on my computer, doesn't sound amazing, but its only coming through shitty computer speakers anyway. More than good enough, if fidelity is not your biggest worry (i can't afford to worry about it tongue)
I always thought it sounded like the opposite of being compressed, like the bass is more rumbly without necessarily being louder or deeper.

@ricemilk - maybe your behringer thing needs some software to get the audio coming in to also play out, like on OS9 the play system audio option. on OSX sound input is not routed straight to the output, but theres plenty of free downloads to fix it, i use Line In by Rogue Amoeba (or something) its free, easy and works. No idea if it is good if you are concernewd about super crisp hi fi, but I think you are not that tbothered?

28 (edited by ricemilk 2008-12-23 02:50:08)

so could i conect my phono rcas to my computer line-in with this
http://www.vgmusic.com/faq/gallery/adapters/a-f_StereoRCA-m_8thHP.jpg
and then have the sound come through my output/speakers?

i dont care about super hi-fi that much, right now i'm using these altec lansing speakers
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41T87CK1S1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

No. You still need a phono preamp I'm sure. Or at least a ground for the table at the very least.

damn guys, what's all the fuss about? a computer is nothing more than a piece of "feed trough" so if you connect something to the line in and make the right ajustments, the exact same signal will come out in the line out. In other words: connect something like your computer is just a piece of cable.

the fuss is about bypassing a vital stage in the audio chain. it's what the phono is, and why it's a part of every input stage from any vinyl playing device. the choice is entirely yours if your willing to sacrifice all the production value of the record.
no one sits in a studio with the objective of making an mp3, well not many anyway tongue

@ ronin: I ment it the other way around. Why should you go over the trouble to use your computer as the amplifier for your turntable? Just doesn't make sens

even if you have no phono preamp, if you crank up the volume on the inputs you should still hear some sound.

the phono preamp is nothing more than a preamp (gain) with the riaa curve (eq). i actually had my old turntables for years over my normal mixer on the line inputs, basically if you turn up tne inpyt volume all the way and add quite a lot of bass eq, its listenable..

baz wrote:

@ ronin: I ment it the other way around. Why should you go over the trouble to use your computer as the amplifier for your turntable? Just doesn't make sens

ok sure,
i think the original suggestion of picking up an old amp wins.. but considering the interface is already on the scene, a separate phono pre doesn't seem like a bad idea...

also rudes's right, even without that you should be hearing something however feeble from your behringer thingy. most likely just need to make it your default audio device in system settings.

i see, thanks for all the input
i'm going to try to record some hard to find vinyl and share it through soulseek