Topic: Earplugs

I have tinnitis... it sucks... but I gotta live with it. Over a period of about 6 months hard partying I noticed it sounding worse, and starting to annoy me more. So I looked into decent plugs to protect the ol' hearing, as the last thing I want is to get to 40 and end up as deaf as a post.

So about two months ago I went for a custom moulding for earplugs. I picked up them up about a month later and havent really had a chance to use them at all, until last night.

It was Damo Suzuki of Can fame and it was fuckin loud as soon as I got in, so I popped them in. At first, it felt weird, almost removed from the music... but after about 10 minutes, they had settled in and the sound was amazingly clear, during the first two acts I found it weirdly easy to hear my friends voices over the din, although there were a few complaints about me speaking in whispers.

Then for the main act I spent the entire time, right up the front and literally with my ear about 2 foot away from the PA. At no point did it seem to loud, at no point was it sore and at no point did I want to go somewhere quiet to get a rest from it...  They are really comfortable aswell, I had them in for about 4 and a half hours straight and couldve kept em in all day if need be. When I left I popped them out and instantly felt better than if I had just come out a club without them.

you can get these in 5db, 15db and 25db (numbers corresponding to the drop in db, I plumped for the 15db). They are quite pricey at

Re: Earplugs

meschi wrote:

but fuck it, you cant put a price on your hearing!!

you can say that again!

i have also tinnitus for some years.
i always use the cheaper ones - but they are also really cool. sound is still ok and they protect very good:

http://www.bachmaier-gehoerschutz.de/bilder/gehoerschutz/er-20-s.jpg

i hate soccer

yeah ive heard their pretty good.

Cheers for this! Good advice!

@ meschi
bought the elacin er-9 some years ago and they are super... no more annoying beeeeeeeep in my ears after a long night of clubbing or a loud concert since then! but well the swoosh is still there. but after more then 10 years i'm used to it.

"you can get these in 5db, 15db and 25db (numbers corresponding to the drop in db, I plumped for the 15db)."
-> strange, here in germany they have elacin er-9 (snr 8 db), er-15 (snr 16 db) and er-25 (snr 23 db)!

"They are quite pricey at

I got mine a lot of years ago here in cologne. here we have hearsafe:

http://www.meineohren.de/soundoptimiert … chutz.html

they were the first in germany in the year 1993 to bring the custom-made er-15. they cost 165 euri all incl. but nowadays I don't need any earplugs anymore. sound is not as loud in clubs anymore as it was in the mid90s or early 90s.

i paid $100 to get fitted and get my custom plugs like those about 2 years ago, best $$$ i ever spent. its weird how expensive they are in the UK, but its still worth it. i got the -25 dB joints and i can use them while deejaying and everything.

9 (edited by robotiger 2008-12-09 15:12:35)

310 CHF (200Euro) in Z

hi robotiger, yes, they are indeed big - but meanwhile i can also do djing with them ... the good thing is that they protect quite good and that they are not too expensive 8around 30 euros) - you can replace them easier if you lost them...
i know the problem: a friend of mine lost his expensives one while drunk...

i hate soccer

Queen Of Blood wrote:

"you can get these in 5db, 15db and 25db (numbers corresponding to the drop in db, I plumped for the 15db)."
-> strange, here in germany they have elacin er-9 (snr 8 db), er-15 (snr 16 db) and er-25 (snr 23 db)!

Maybe I'm mistaken... hmm

QoB wrote:

"They are quite pricey at

se tschermans is so

@ pipecock
"i got the -25 dB joints and i can use them while deejaying and everything."
-> really? and that works? no problems while deejaying?

@ robotiger
"se tschermans is so

http://www.futuresonics.com/images/earplugs2008c.jpg
i use this one for 5 years, I paid 150

15 (edited by Sander 2008-12-11 14:21:27)

If you got them in better still don't stand next to the speakers!

If you are at a place where is the music is less loud and you think 25 is too much, then also buy the 15 db filters.
Only you don't want to exchange the filters in the club. Maybe have the universal ones aswell in your pocket.

I always use 25 and if the music is not loud, I don't care.  My ears, well especially the right one really needs an earplug
since otherwise it will hurt very soon. It's too sensitive,

Sander wrote:

If you got them in better still don't stand next to the speakers!

your right. normally its something I wouldnt do, but it was rammed, I was right up the front and I was having FAR too much fun.

smile

I use cocktail napkins

the future is ..... deaf !!!
for sure .

ancestors from another galaxy

what about these, alpine model? very cheap, does it mean they don't really help at all?

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/274473-01.htm

dolcevita wrote:

i have also tinnitus for some years.
i always use the cheaper ones - but they are also really cool. sound is still ok and they protect very good:

http://www.bachmaier-gehoerschutz.de/bi … r-20-s.jpg

this feels like deja-vu, anyways...

i got those er-20's and really like them, have used them more times than i'd have thought; like airplanes, buses, libraries.

also good for gigs too! smile the quality probably isn't as good as the more expensive moulded ones, like the decibel drop is not flat across the spectrum. however, the sound still does not sound shit. also, can hear people more clearly with them. i think i got them for e12 on ebay.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → Addicts → Earplugs