Topic: random laptop question.

so...... does anyone know of any makes and/or models of laptop that have their power button accessible with the lid shut?

Re: random laptop question.

can't think of any.. most laptops i know have their power button all in the same place..

I have a docking station for my laptop, which has a power button.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.  ~Bertrand Russell

oooh! I can't believe I hadn't thought of a docking station. thats a cool idea, cause it's basically exactly for what I want to do.....

I want a laptop that I can run closed and tucked out of the way on my desk, hooked up to my big monitor, a real mouse and keyboard, and my external drives, and audio/MIDI interfaces - then be able to disconnect it and take it away if I feel like it.

my main (desktop) PC died yesterday, so I hooked up my old giggig laptop to everything, and it works great with the lid closed and out of the way, except i can't tuck it out of the way properly, because I need to be able to open it to turn it on......

so I was thinking i could buy one new computer - it would be a smallish (13"?) modern laptop that can handle everything my desktop did, plus be portable for gigs and things, and replace both my old computers...

rude66 wrote:

can't think of any.. most laptops i know have their power button all in the same place..

yeah - me too..... but I figured I can't be the only one wanting to do what i want to do - Now I guess everyone else gets docking stations..
:-)

no-fi wrote:

oooh! except i can't tuck it out of the way properly, because I need to be able to open it to turn it on......

Why you can't open it, turn it on and put the display down again? The external monitor should keep the signal, otherwise you have to use the key combination to switch to external monitor.

If you want to keep your screen down all the time and cannot find a docking, you could also put the laptop in standby and let it wake up by moving mouse or pressing the external keyboard.  But a docking is the best off course.

only problem with just opening it every time I want to turn it on, is my desk is full of synths and general untidyness - so I was hoping to keep it right out of the way - I need all the free space I can get!!

Hmmm.... decent spec laptop plus a docking station - Now I'm wondering if another option is maybe to go for an OK modern desktop (so damn cheap now!!) and then one of those not-so small ASUS EEEPC (10"?) for mobile applications? I don't really need that much power in a mobile computer. Even for gigging... And even they're probably still faster than this 4 year old laptop I'm using now.
:-P

remember even a tiny 13" screen is real estate that may be useful

get a mac

i have a dell studio laptop (15" version) and it has a, well, pretty cool power button on the right side

http://blog.laptopmag.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/dell-studio-power-button.jpg

OK, found a dock for my old laptop - not sure if it has a power button or not, but I assume it will... $20 on ebay! woo! now on its way. I want to see how I go with a docked laptop before I commit to buying a new one, and the old one is still running good enough for me for now.