Topic: Pics of your favourite record store? Here's mine: Record Time Detroit

Just reminiscing on the huge impact that vinyl has had on my life.  Finally living my dream of running a record label and it's kind of bittersweet not being able to press records without completely losing money on it.  Being "digital only" is pretty humbling right now.

Without crying the blues about it, I think we have some quality releases by some amazing artists (Terrence Dixon, Faceless Mind, Titonton Duvante, Carl Finlow) and yet we've been turned down or made really shitty offers by every decent distributor in the business.  Most of them are very honest about how the market is just so lousy right now, they can't afford to take a chance on new labels. 

So while I'm trying to figure that out, back to reminiscing and a little inspiration.     smile

I grew up in the Detroit area and remember how absolutely MENTAL it was on any given Sunday at the greatest record store I've ever seen in my life:  Record Time.  Home at one time or another to Dan Bell, Robert Hood, Mike Huckaby (his contributions to the scene in Detroit are tremendous and he doesn't get the full credit he deserves) amongst others.

I'll never forget the first time I went back a few years ago and saw "the dance room" closed up.  It was literally felt like a punch in the gut.  Same goes for many of our best shops here in Toronto.  Really, really sad.

I see cats fighting hard over there in Europe and winning to some degree keeping vinyl alive.  Hats off!  I'm sure that vinyl is here to stay...  but it will never be like it was back in the day.  Sucks that a generation of kids might soon come that will never have a chance to experience what a REAL record store is.

For those that have never been there, here are a few pics of what was once the BEST damn record store in Detroit and second to none the world over.

Dylan J
OCR

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_sy4UUTekpcI/RMdjAYgCABI/AAAAAAAAAxM/nuNqjdvJco4/s640/IMG_0268.JPG