Topic: Recordsleeve grading

Im having this issue with some dude on discogs. Ill save you the details but just want to know to prevent future issues.
How much in % does the grading of a record sleeve affects the price you sell the record+sleeve for?

2 (edited by olivier8 2009-01-13 20:52:11)

Re: Recordsleeve grading

if the sleeve has a remarquable artwork i'd say 33.33% off if it's missing

It's worth having a quick squizz at this.

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/mo … amp;page=1

Hope it helps!

Is all sound music?

it also depends who's buying it.. i know dj's that have no problem with damaged sleeves because it's the track they're after.. and collectors who won't touch a record that doesn't have a near perfect sleeve, even if its something they have searched for years..

For my experience a damaged cover has not such sensible influence over the price of the record, given that the record is in cood condition and perhaps is a rare one. Records on the same level let's say NM sells mostly at the same price wih a cover NM or VG. Perhaps 10 max 20% less on the price. Different is with a pic cover or a generic one. Records with a pic cover, even damaged, sells more than with a generic one, generic covers but branded (like disco magic, sensation rec or discotto do not count).

It also depend from the damage, if it's cutted, open, snatched or has been in water or something then it's a thing, if only used, ring wear, cardboard on the open side is very used, seems like eaten it's another.

This dude who was a total pain in the ass during the whole buying/selling process wants to send the record back or refund cause he thinks the 24.- (minus the 10% discount I allready gave him) he paid for a 2x12" is too much cause the sleeve is not VG+ but instead is VG, I think its actually NM/VG+ apart from a big bend corner hes talking about.
Im about to send him either a refund of like 0.33euro to piss him off or say he wont get a refund. The guy didnt even wanted to pay the damn shipping costs of 19euro because he said it was too expensive??

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:

This dude who was a total pain in the ass during the whole buying/selling process wants to send the record back or refund cause he thinks the 24.- (minus the 10% discount I allready gave him) he paid for a 2x12" is too much cause the sleeve is not VG+ but instead is VG, I think its actually NM/VG+ apart from a big bend corner hes talking about.

NM sleeve with bent corner = VG+

What record was it?

Some psytrance compilation with a sleeve that sucks.

19 E for a double12'' ?  geeezus !  i tought the swissposties are expensive bastards...

microcomposer wrote:

19 E for a double12'' ?  geeezus !  i tought the swissposties are expensive bastards...

No, it was a package of something like 10+ records

okay then...swiss post still the most expensive worldwide... :-/

tell him to leave for goa, and stay there...

raoul wrote:

*off topic*  i actualy liked some goa stuff back in 93/94

some nice things came out back then, like eat static and stuff

Vlam Aan

kuczera wrote:
raoul wrote:

*off topic*  i actualy liked some goa stuff back in 93/94

some nice things came out back then, like eat static and stuff

oh yes, i had a blast at a goa party on queensday in amsterdam around that time...

pff.. same thing is developing here. you sell someone a rare cd for a very, very good price with only a scuff or 2 on the sleeve, i get a mail back he claims it's no more than ''good'', there's all kinds of damage to the cover and wants a refund.
i told him to try and talk to the post, as they obviously damaged his package.. next thing i get is the threat of a paypal claim.

what do you do with people like that?

kill?

rude66 wrote:

pff.. same thing is developing here. you sell someone a rare cd for a very, very good price with only a scuff or 2 on the sleeve, i get a mail back he claims it's no more than ''good'', there's all kinds of damage to the cover and wants a refund.
i told him to try and talk to the post, as they obviously damaged his package.. next thing i get is the threat of a paypal claim.

what do you do with people like that?

ask for a photo....
is it digipack or just a jewel case?

you can also take a photo of the cd cover and stick it in with the mail....

i did ask for a photo. its a digipack..

yeah, i guess from now i'll have to take pics of all the stuff i sell.. pfff..

has anyone here ever dealt with these claims?