Topic: using wordpress to run a music/band site...

so... I could do with some advice from anyone who knows a bit about website building with blog & CMS packages....  particularly wordpress.

I'm redoing my band's website, and decided that the old static HTML thing should go, cause I'm always too lazy to do the edit as text/check/upload thing that the old site required in order to get info up there...

I have a whole bunch of options for blogs and CMS on my host, bit I picked wordpress to play with, cause it looked simple and I think I can make it do what I want...

I had a tiny play last night, and got some basic pages down, plus found a template that does a lot of what I want in terms of layout (if not colours, general appearance, and exact layout)

but basically I want a bunch of normal pages (contact, info, links) plus some updated pages for things like gigs - (if I could enter a gig, have it show up on upcoming gigs page, then disappear after the date, or move to a past gigs page, that would be amazing!) music, and general news announcements...

I could have multiple blogs setup for differenbt things if that would help, but maybe that's not the way...

so.. yeah.... does anyone know if wordpress is the best and simplest tool for this? or would I be better off with something else??

are there any good general sites on putting together a small blog/CMS based website?

cheers!
:-)

Re: using wordpress to run a music/band site...

I stared oodling with wordpress and set this up: http://communicator.dvtd.com/

I too was wondering which worked better and just went in and started reading in the forums and stuff. Seems like that has won over many old Movable Type users too so I think that says something. I imagine that pairing your wordpress and something like CSS Edit (http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/) and Dreamweaver you should be able to create anything you want.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

The tricky thing about wordpress is learning where everything is...It's a fairly massive app, but once you learn what's pulling what, it works very well as a CMS...

I've built a few wordpress sites for myself and friends.

I've built two sites using WordPress as the CMS and am a fan. It got a bit tedious at times, but only because of the extent of the customizations I was doing. Knowing PHP helped but is probably not a prerequisite because the WordPress functions are so well-documented.

thants.

Never done a wordpress site, been meaning to give it a go though...it seems pretty decent

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

i love wordpress

I use wordpress for my blog and I suck at computers. It's very easy to use, but I'd say be organized with your file names and stuff from the beginning because that helps with SEO.

Also, one site is better than having several if they deal with the same project.
Just use the tab thing to differentiate between the levels or aspects of your project: one for info/one for news and events/one for audio samples etc.
You can divide it however you think is best.

8 (edited by no-fi 2008-07-08 04:42:08)

oooh - tabs??
I haven't read about them yet! will have a bit of a research on them tonight.

I was originally wondering if I might be able to have the one basic blog, and partition stuff with categories.

here's the basic 1 hour hack (including searching for and finding a layout I don't really like, but think it's a fair way in the right direction of what I want to do - if I can get rid of that whole left panel, for a start!! but don't want to waste any time on layout if I can't make the content come together how I want)
http://bleepin.com/test/

basically I don't want the whole site to look like a blog if I can help it... but I do want areas of the site to work like a blog (plan on having a DIY section where ed and I write articles on random electronics stuff we've done/are doing, and a basic news section that lists all the new things that happen on the site as well as actual news posts from us as things happen)

.....which is why I'm wondering if it's going to be the right thing for me or not - I've found very little info on making non-blog sites with wordpress in the hour or so of research I've done...

but yeah... I do have a lot of other options to wordpress too. my hosting control panel seems to have all this available for me to fire up if it's any help?

blogs
b2evolution
Nucleus
WordPress

Content Management
Drupal
Geeklog
Joomla 1.5
Joomla
Mambo Open Source
PHP-Nuke
phpWCMS
phpWebSite
Post-Nuke
Siteframe
TYPO3
Xoops

9 (edited by no-fi 2008-07-08 05:30:38)

skymob wrote:

I've built two sites using WordPress as the CMS and am a fan. It got a bit tedious at times, but only because of the extent of the customizations I was doing. Knowing PHP helped but is probably not a prerequisite because the WordPress functions are so well-documented.

Dez wrote:

I've built a few wordpress sites for myself and friends.

Skymob & dez - if either of you don't want to post up here would you be able to PM (or email julian@bleepin.com ) links to what you've done? especially if they're not traditional blog-looking sites.

thanks!

I had a link bookmarked at my old work for a pretty sweet mod for wordpress to change it to a cms. I guess if you know php you could just do it yourself, i think this costed about $50 or something.
I'll see if I can find the link again

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat

No luck yet, but a quick glance over this looks like it might be a good place to start
http://www.graphicdesignblog.co.uk/word … nt-system/

http://www.wpremix.com/home/
Thats the shit i was looking for.
It's a commercial packagebut only $55, so if it does what you want it isn't exactly breaking the bank.

I was thinking about using wordpress for my personal site and found that, didn't get started on it yet though..

Communicator wrote:

I too was wondering which worked better and just went in and started reading in the forums and stuff.

yeah... seems like the way....

I'm just looking for a fast way to do it, cause while I'm looking for something different to normal, there's no way I'll be the first to want to do this.....

[quote=RETALI8

Good call I think...music time is infinitely more valuable than $55 haha. Let me know how you go with it, cos i'm probably gonna buy it myself

go for drupal!

niets helpt. het overstelpt.

http://www.nicestash.com/

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.  ~Bertrand Russell

......is your site built with drupal? http://ru-d.net/

I had a bit of a look, but it looked really complex... like it's designed for 1000+ page monster sites. and that scared me off a bit.... our old site had, like, 8 pages.

19 (edited by no-fi 2008-07-08 10:04:49)

woah!!! now that could be the one, if I can work out how to install it without the control panel gui.....

*5 mins later*
aaaaah.....  bum.

http://forum.nicestash.com/topic/rip-stash

looks like DJx isn't the only one moving on from projects....

no-fi wrote:

......is your site built with drupal? http://ru-d.net/

I had a bit of a look, but it looked really complex... like it's designed for 1000+ page monster sites. and that scared me off a bit.... our old site had, like, 8 pages.

AUCH you got me there!

it was made with drupal before I crashed it... it will be back some day I guess.

Ru-D wrote:

AUCH you got me there!

it was made with drupal before I crashed it... it will be back some day I guess.

smile

that's kinda what I'm scared of with drupal (though I would be more likely to just leave it alone if I had it working, I guess)

i run two sites on wordpress and its very nice i think. very quick to get started and build sites with, also very beginnerfriendly and not very complicated. i wouldn't consider it a fully fledged cms, but it does the job just fine for not so complex sites. also there are lots and lots of plugins that extend the functionality of wordpress available. give it a go and test it locally first before you decide. i recommend downloading and installing xampp or a similar php/mysql/apache distribution for labworks.

im also trying out joomla on another site and its pretty nice as well, but a lil bit steeper learning curve perhaps.. it all depends on what you want to do.

no-fi wrote:
Ru-D wrote:

AUCH you got me there!

smile

that's kinda what I'm scared of with drupal (though I would be more likely to just leave it alone if I had it working, I guess)

well in essence it's a stable system with regular updates and a very active community.

Only some bots now and then feel the need to experiment and crash the system without a proper db backup... oops. (not that the stuff on there was very interesting to begin with)

well.... I think I'm going to stick with wordpress.

It might not do 100% of what I want, but it looks like the simplest option (short of just making a framesite in html again) and wordpress looks like it's going to be going strong for a long time. Will probably go for the $55 template...

Drupal looks amazing, but I think it'll be a year before I get to turn on my synths, if I go down that route...

I'd really like to play with that stash thing, cause it basically looks perfect in terms of features -  but a non-maintained system looks like massive future heartache. aaah well.

Thankyou for your help and suggestions so far everyone!!!

And further comments and suggestions are still welcome if we haven't covered all the possibilituies yet.
smile

Well now that I've revisited that blogsite of mine I'm inspired to develop that especially now that we robots hit this crisis. I'll report any major pains or applauses I encounter here for sure.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.