Topic: Kuala Lumpur and Singapore

I'm going to Kuala Lumpur on the weekends of Juli 11 and August 8 and to Singapore in the weekend of August 1st.

Anybody been there? some tips for going out?

I'll be bringin music if there are robots from there: let me know, always interested in making a party.

Cheers

Reznik

2 (edited by heifetz 2009-03-23 06:23:13)

Re: Kuala Lumpur and Singapore

i live there when i was small (in singapore) but haven't been back in 11 yrs, so i dunno where the action is smile i heard that Zouk sometimes has good dj's but otherwise i'm of no use.

if you want to eat well and cheaply, go to the hawker centers / food courts. local dishes sold in stalls that are really tasty.

the seafood joints in east coast park serve the best chili crab in the galaxy.

KL has the cheapest 4-5 star hotels in the world smile So no need to stay in any crappy hostel. There's a nice cheap food court at the top of Sungei Wang Plaza shopping center. It's not easy to find, not sign-posted. It's where the locals eat. 1 meat + 2 veg for about one euro.

<Pete> His life was programmed from the very start.
<MacGyver> He never had a chance.

cool! thnx for the tips. keep them comming smile

we're going on a dyving course as well: quite excited about it smile

Spend fews days in Kuala Lumpur in 2006 (or 2007?) and I really enjoyed it ! (I might have some photos somewhere and if I find them back, I will post them).

For the Petronas tower, as the number of tickets are limited every day, it's better to pick them early in the morning (by my side, I arrived too late each time).

Regarding Singapore, I'm very curious to hear how it was when you'll be back (because I heard many things regarding the interdictions !). I even heard (but I don't know if it's true) that it's not allow to overtake someone on an escalator.

I found my pics back but not really interesting (in fact, very boring !) : http://www.paradisemassage.org/celina/M … Page1.html

no, not boring, very nice smile

didn't know about not overtaking on the escalator... good I'm only gonna spend 2 days there, if longer I would probably get arrested wink

Mademoiselle wrote:

Regarding Singapore, I'm very curious to hear how it was when you'll be back (because I heard many things regarding the interdictions !). I even heard (but I don't know if it's true) that it's not allow to overtake someone on an escalator.

i think that's an exaguration smile you are not allowed to spit, chew gum or litter though. and if you bring any amount of drugs in to the country, you can be executed.

even if you bring them in your bloodstreem?

there's only one good 2nd hand rekid shop in Singapore
i spent a few hours there back in 2000, but all i found was
some strange pressings of 70's Philly stuff(must have been big there)
I remember lots of zyx/Kylee/synth pop/uk early house, kind of stuff.
would not have a clue where it was tho, I think I found it thru "Rotator Locator" site
or maybe it was the Watts message board. I did not worry about it last time I was there,,,
if you like indian vegeterian food there's a whole (Indian orientated)shopping centre that has some
of the best spicey food ever
re: drugs - watch it. these guys are not kiddin

'Sing while you may - lullabies for the new dark ages'

e,r wrote:

there's only one good 2nd hand rekid shop in Singapore
i spent a few hours there back in 2000, but all i found was
some strange pressings of 70's Philly stuff(must have been big there)
I remember lots of zyx/Kylee/synth pop/uk early house, kind of stuff.
would not have a clue where it was tho, I think I found it thru "Rotator Locator" site
or maybe it was the Watts message board. I did not worry about it last time I was there,,,
if you like indian vegeterian food there's a whole (Indian orientated)shopping centre that has some
of the best spicey food ever
re: drugs - watch it. these guys are not kiddin

I know, but I was kiddin: don't even think about trying something stupid smile

the shop sounds good, although i don't know how much luggage I can take back with me wink

yeah! only 2 weeks now!!!

O yeah: let's have some fun in asia!

back, still alive and with some pictures!

http://www.tunnel-radio.nl/news.htm

I remember a case where a Singaporean student got lashings on return to his home country from Australia, as he was found to have traces of THC in his body.
Apparently it is illegal for Singaporeans to use drugs even outside their country.

I vacumcleaned my backpack and wallet before I went: got quite paranoide by all the stories... smile

So any good tips for Singapore? Just arrived for work. Its not as draconian as everyone says but its still pretty strict and a bit big brother. The people are a bit paranoid I think. Its been a complete mission renting an apartment without an official work permit. Expensive for booze and cigarettes, but cheap for food.

Yeah, it's uptight. But if you've been to Malaysia before that you get an idea why: the culture of throwing stuff on the street and live in buildings till they collapse is maybe not preferable above a well organized city. Good thing about Singapore is that you have the anonymity of the city, so no: "hey" "hello" "where you from?" shit on every street corner.

Found some records (to bad I found them on the last day, 5 min before going to the station) in the flea marked on the crossing of Jalan Besar and Jalan Berseh (no joke wink)

Always nice to go to the movies (eg in the Citylink Mall) but remember to bring a thick sweater! Also the food in those malls is quite good (in the citylink there's a food court on the top floor with lots of different dishes for only 4 SD, like roasted duck and stuff, very good!

There are some clubs / cafes on the Boat Quay. Haven't been there (out of budget) but they seemed ok, expensive though.

What I liked was the Irish pub on I think it was Seah street or one of the streets parallel. They had a jukebox and for 1 SD you could chase away all the costumers with playing "Voulez Vous" twice wink

Have fun!

19 (edited by SSM v3 2009-11-03 13:04:01)

Thanks for the tips baz. I know what you mean about the anonymity, quite good and compared to the rest of S.E.A. its super organized. Been exploring the food courts and there are some amazing places where you can get a whole meal for around 5 us. Thai, Chinese, Korean, Malay, Indian, Vietnamese and "Western Style" which is basically deep fried stuff.

Went out over the weekend and have to say nightlife seems really shit. The drinks are ridiculously expensive, around 8 dollars a beer which takes the piss and all the bars are in purpose built bar "malls". Horrible. Must be some good stuff somewhere... Found a street with karaoke pubs full of prostitutes which was quite amusing (though probably not for them).

Still everything else is cool and that's what cheap flights to the rest of S.E.A. and long weekends are for. smile

Have been obsessing about the electronics here. There's a crazy mall full of electronic shops. Mobile phones in particular are very cheap. They have all these knock off iphones, blackberry storms etc which are actually quite cool. 
They have iphone like software, camera, tv receivers (analogue only) and can run java. Probably break in 5 minutes though.

The people are nice too and its cool to see all the different religions getting along peacefully.

Glad you had a good time!
The beers are indeed very expensive (especially compared to the surrounding countries) and the clubs are too. The mayor part of the people go out to karaoke bars or movie theaters. I think we're just spoiled here with music and clubs wink

I'm going to be in KL in late December and Singapore for New Year's. Would love to hit some good clubs. Any suggestions?

Sorry but I haven't been to much clubs there, only some bars and stuff. Clubs are very very very expensive (especially when you look at local prices: the entrance of a club can cost you as much as 80 dinners!)

I saw mostly highly fashionable Asian youngsters there with big big cars. Some nice cafe's (and some clubs) in KL were in the Asian Heritage district: http://maps.google.nl/?ie=UTF8&ll=3 … 2&z=18

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like Zouk is the only game in town in Singapore so hopefully they will have something not too horrible for NYE.