Topic: Moving/Working in Europe

I'm currently finishing off my graduate studies in London. So will now be looking for a new place to start working/living . Some place in Europe (Definitely not going back to Malta for a longgggg while). London might be a wise choice in terms of job opportunities, but i'm not bought in so much with this City. Its pretty dirty and I don't like the general feel/atmosphere. I'm looking more into moving to Belgium/Holland/France. I've been to Belgium recently and loved the places outside of brussels - particularly Gent and Leuven. Leuven seemed to be a pretty nice place - very feel good atmosphere when walking in the streets, also should be quite a young city too since there is the largest University of Belgium there plus quite a handful of technology oriented spinout companies with hopefully appropriate jobs for me. Language i'm guessin would also be an issue wherever i'm moving to, but won't let that really put me off from a place (otherwise my only options would be UK). Any experiences or suggestions of where you're living, where you've been, liked disliked. Note i'm talking about living/working rather than travelling.

Re: Moving/Working in Europe

i would like to suggest staying in london and move to hackney, but if you already think london is dirty you certainly won't like it here.

personally, if i could move somewhere in europa i would stay driving distance within les alpes, just to be able to ride my snowboard on a regular basis. maybe geneva? seems to be a good scene going on there and chamonix is 40 mins away.

keep hackney crap

byron wrote:

maybe geneva? seems to be a good scene going on there and chamonix is 40 mins away.

I always hear from everybody who lives there that it suxxxx (also from dj's having the same
taste as me). wink
What are you working then/ what's your field of study? Cause thats also an argument always, and very important I think when you're moving to another country. If you see a lot of people there being interested in the same hobbies as you it's always a good sign - difficult to find out though after a short visit.

I moved from Vienna/Austria to Rotterdam/NL. I couldn't be happier I think, Rotterdam is small but has almost everything a big city has, it's very modern and dynamic, what I like, and I think also quite open to new Ideas. There also hardly any old people here - which I'm happy, since I got rid of all those grannies in vienna. There's a strong interest in electronic music, and a quite fresh art-scene (studying fineart) - so it's all set for me, only I thing I hate here is that it's starting to get more and more police-controlled hmm
Well you don't have too, but it shure is a big advantage to learn the dutch if you're going to nl/be - which is a nice funny language, not used in the rest of the world though.

My original field of study is electronic engineering but now i'm finishin off a Masters in Machine Learning - which is basically another word for applied artificial intelligence (No robots btw smile ) which in turn is basically just a load of math and stats. So would be able to work in  jobs which require any of programming/maths/stats/engineering. Would be looking for jobs in pharmaceuticals though (ideally).

And yeah its very important for me that it is a place where you can easily meet people with similar musical interests, hence posting in this forum.

move to rumania

pharmaceuticals and switzerland goes hand in hand. You should move here. But...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8w9CpDjW0k

Glasgow

score100 wrote:
byron wrote:

maybe geneva? seems to be a good scene going on there and chamonix is 40 mins away.

I always hear from everybody who lives there that it suxxxx (also from dj's having the same
taste as me). wink

by chance we have  in Genva some good ol' robots as statiq, sombre, davecore...and me wink

Geneva was the most expensive souless City I ever visited.

I would totally Recommend Melbourne I know its in Europe but they speak English the climate is perfect and its full of Europeans. Man everyone from the low countries speaks english its totally embarrassing.

Ive also heard Edinburghs like Ghent but it is a money/finance city so theres job problems right now. Last but not least Meschi suggested Glasgow, we punch above our weight in terms of Art/Culture and Parties. If you can get over the first impressions and rough image it is without a doubt one of the most fun places to live if you dont mind rin 8 months a year.

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of whats really going on.

serious language difficulties though for a malteser in glasgow

i've never really been to geneva apart from passing through. a mate used to live there in the 80's when he worked with yello and he liked it alot. i was also thinking about when IF played there with x-bobo a couple of years ago and he was tempted to go back for a residency.

keep hackney crap

12 (edited by heifetz 2009-06-18 13:14:55)

move to helsinki. it's hip, it's expensive, everything works, it's cold and miserable a lot of the time

edit: a couple of bars / clubs play decent music often

Leo Slayer wrote:

I would totally Recommend Melbourne I know its in Europe but they speak English the climate is perfect and its full of Europeans. Man everyone from the low countries speaks english its totally embarrassing.

I don't know if i'm nationalist, but i think you're wrong. If youstay in the tourist era circuit, Gva is shitty, expansive and stupid.
But if you take time to explore something different, it's bettet. It's a multicultural town, just in the middle of Europe and it's a good place.

neferos wrote:
Leo Slayer wrote:

I don't know if i'm nationalist, but i think you're wrong. If youstay in the tourist era circuit, Gva is shitty, expansive and stupid.
But if you take time to explore something different, it's bettet. It's a multicultural town, just in the middle of Europe and it's a good place.

All the other Cities I visited in Switzerland were cool. I will give Geneva another chance and will ask robots for tips.

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of whats really going on.

Yo Rudi, just pm me if you wanna know sth about Ghent..
I've been living here for the last 8 years

Leo Slayer wrote:

..Ive also heard Edinburghs like Ghent but it is a money/finance city so theres job problems right now

Brussels is th