Topic: Arte: Summer Of The 80`s (dokus, movies, clips...)

Don`t miss the summer of the 80`s on Arte. If you are not able to watch it on your TV you can see it in the internet on Arte+7 (7 days available after it was shown on TV)

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1617081,00.jpg

"Welcome To The 80's" Teil 1 (Postpunk und NDW); Teil 2 (Synthie Pop & New Romantics) AUG 11 - 22:50
cant`t wait to see this as I missed the premier party in Berlin a few weeks ago.

complete program here

and as bonus you can have fun with the remix player

article on Spiegel

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

Re: Arte: Summer Of The 80`s (dokus, movies, clips...)

i only saw the falco docu last week but that was really cool!
i somehow always miss that stuff... so, thanks for the reminder, captain!

AUG 13 - 22:30: No Wave - Underground 80: Berlin-New York
http://www.arte.tv/de/woche/244,broadca … =2009.html
cant`t wait to see this as I missed the premier party in stuttgart a few weeks ago. wink
a friend of mine was there and he told me that it is really a great documentary.

Queen Of Blood wrote:

cant`t wait to see this as I missed the premier party in stuttgart a few weeks ago. wink

big_smile 

on Sunday 10:00 am there will be a docu about EURYTHMICS on Arte too. my secret 80`s heroes. btw, last night there was 1984 (movie) on ARD directly after Blade Runner, I just name it because of the great Soundtrack by Annie & Dave.

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens1591957_1239515702eurythmics.jpg

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

boah ey ick han g

tonight, both parts of `Welcome to the 80`s`

... and `No Wave`on Thursday!

discogs sales 

they promised me "arte" when i took a new cable subscription
but i can't find it, man i want to recieve arte for years allready
but it's behind the decoder here in the netherlands

only crap tv is almost for free

Vlam Aan

but you can watch it the next days on Arte.tv  online for 7 days

discogs sales 

i didn't know thanks smile

Vlam Aan

9 (edited by Scarface 2009-08-11 09:34:48)

Danke herr capitan! smile

B.t.w. Kuczera, I can't receive arte either (it's only on digital cable here) but the NPS (Nederland 3) airs a show about the 80's too tonight at 20.30u. which could be interesting:

http://www.nps.nl/page/detail/781514

"Are you loving?"

bedankt voor de tip, vorige week waren de seventies erop
helaas gemist

Vlam Aan

ooh, good reminder, thanx!

Europa has burned, and will burn again

just heard a nice interview of the maker from part 1 (Welcome to the 80`s) - she is from Berlin. I am sure it will be a nice one tonight. all together 6 parts, also including specials about Hip Hop, Disco...

discogs sales 

kuczera wrote:

bedankt voor de tip, vorige week waren de seventies erop
helaas gemist

Oh, merk net dat het pas morgenavond is...sorry!

"Are you loving?"

14 (edited by dolcevita 2009-08-12 08:25:47)

i watched both parts yesrerday.
review:

part 1 (postpunk & ndw) was quite cool.
ok, they missed many important artists, maybe because they could not get the rights to show it (for example JOY DIVISION / NEW ORDER), but the live footage was really great (DAF, SPECIALS, GANG OF FOUR)...
funny also that DEVO are still as stupid as 30 years ago... too see in 2009 these old men in that suits is much more funny as it was in 1979 big_smile

part 2 (new romantic & synth pop) was really really lame imo ...
it was in certain parts like from the BILD-zeitung ...
to reduce synth pop to haircuts and stuff ...

but part 2 was done by another author, isnt it?

although, some interviews appeared in both parts ...

i hate soccer

yes, part one was much more innovative and made by a berlin-based girl who really is into. surely not every important artist was featured in there (she had only 2 month time to make it), but all together it was very good. 1 hour more would have been good...

part two was strange to see, and done by another guy of course. I liked the Blitz Kids thing and the comments about stupid Steve Strange. The haircut thing was a bit too much for me too, surely there is a need to name the accidents with the 80`s haircuts, but...
Very nice to see the guys tried to explain with the synth and cheesy sounds after all the years. I wished the artists themselfes had more chances to comment their feel about this era.

will see what they will tell us in the Thursday No Wave/New Wave episode.

discogs sales 

the bio of steve strange is a tragedy i heard ....

i hate soccer

captain duran wrote:
Queen Of Blood wrote:

big_smile 

on Sunday 10:00 am there will be a docu about EURYTHMICS on Arte too. my secret 80`s heroes. btw, last night there was 1984 (movie) on ARD directly after Blade Runner, I just name it because of the great Soundtrack by Annie & Dave.

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squido … thmics.jpg

funny that (so the legend i cannot proove) the song "portrait of a dead man" from the 1984 OST was a cosmic baldelli classic ...

i hate soccer

dolcevita wrote:

the bio of steve strange is a tragedy i heard ....

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00693/SNN30BB01XX-682_693930a.jpg
".... Zuvor hatte er bei einem Brand sein gesamtes Hab und Gut verloren. Er erlitt in der Folge einen Nervenzusammenbruch und ging zur

discogs sales 

Part 1 was definetely better but in part 2 the Blitz Kids thing was the most interesting part to see. Reminds me of "Liquid Sky". Does anyone know which track they played in the club just before the part with David Bowie started?

All in all, two hours are very exhausting to watch, especially if you are familiar with a lot of things already. However, I enjoyed seeing the Specials and Gang of Four, cause I was never into it. Kind of broadening the horizon.

what a shame mister Rafael ;-)

ok the specials were not synth or stuff but one of the best uk-bands ever...

i hate soccer

EliasRafael wrote:

However, I enjoyed seeing the Specials and Gang of Four, cause I was never into it. Kind of broadening the horizon.

same here. I know them, but never was into their music too. sometimes it needs time to get through. hehe.

discogs sales 

EliasRafael wrote:

Does anyone know which track they played in the club just before the part with David Bowie started?

I was asking myself exactly the same. you mean the rhythmic electronic track without voice, no?

discogs sales 

yes, that track really cool! Have you videotaped the documentary?

no, but isnt Bella the video freak here? wink

discogs sales 

So Sex, lies and videotapes?