Re: Arte: Summer Of The 80`s (dokus, movies, clips...)

@ captain duran
"I liked the Blitz Kids thing and the comments about stupid Steve Strange."
-> ja, poor gary numan, ha, ha...

"The haircut thing was a bit too much for me too, surely there is a need to name the accidents with the 80`s haircuts, but..."
-> the haircut was one of the most important things during the 80's, no? through your haircut you could define yourself and show people to which kind of scene you belong and hey, the better your haircut was the cooler you were! but what i really hate is that people (especially the artists) now laugh about that stuff and call it accident. that's rtl niveau... like in those chart-shows were they always laugh their ass off about schlaghosen and plateaustiefel, pfff...

".... Zuvor hatte er bei einem Brand sein gesamtes Hab und Gut verloren..."
-> wow, didn't know... that's tragic indeed!

"Er gestand auch, dass er w

so no one knows that track :-(

next part today?

Europa has burned, and will burn again

Well, I managed to get to a place where they can receieve arte...at my work! smile So I'm working (not working) overtime here in the evening. smile Making a recording to write on DVD while at it.

"Are you loving?"

that was a nice one, no?

@ Scarface
"Making a recording to write on DVD while at it."
-> excellent! smile

30 (edited by e-control 2009-08-14 00:11:20)

dolcevita wrote:

i watched both parts yesrerday.
review:

part 1 (postpunk & ndw) was quite cool.
ok, they missed many important artists, maybe because they could not get the rights to show it (for example JOY DIVISION / NEW ORDER), but the live footage was really great (DAF, SPECIALS, GANG OF FOUR)...
funny also that DEVO are still as stupid as 30 years ago... too see in 2009 these old men in that suits is much more funny as it was in 1979 big_smile

part 2 (new romantic & synth pop) was really really lame imo ...
it was in certain parts like from the BILD-zeitung ...
to reduce synth pop to haircuts and stuff ...

watched/recorded both parts yesterday and will record all of the following arte specials.
thought the same, part two was too superficial imo but still great to watch.
also i'm not listening to the no wave/postpunk stuff aired today it was a great documentary about
the feelings / parallels of NY/Berlin.
i'm very looking forwards to the Hip Hop and Chicago House Documentaries airing the next weeks.
I missed Artists like Liquid Liquid/ESG today but maybe they have reserved those for the Hip Hop/Breakdance
Documentary (Grandmaster Flash's white lines 'rip-off')..

i think with those films it will be the same, if you know Marcus Mixx & the Ron Hardy Edits or
artists like CSL/Sabotage/Sonarphonic in the Electro/Breakdance Biz you can't expect too much 'deep insights',
also of course the flexipops and nearly every serious NDW track was missing in the the NDW contribution on Arte last tuesday (as expected) but luckily they are still on a good base and provide an authentic feeling of the golden years of global innovation ..

Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, -life- has surface noise..." [John Peel]

@ queen
yes, was not that bad last night. even if I never was into James Chance and stuff like this... interesting allemal.

@ e-control
what means serious NDW? NDW got the name later after the new thing called punk/wave or whatever... as it became a big business for majors. I think the NDW letters stand for Hubert Kah, Frl. Menke or Joachim Witt and shit. not Bands like DAF, Fehlfarben... and why we talk about Flexipops nowadays? it is/ was just a cheap bootleg-CD-R series, not a style (I am sure you don`t mean the UK magazine, no?) wink grrrrrrr, I am too nerdy...hehe.

you are right, Arte did a good job anyways.

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

It was cool; i saw yesterday the Belin/NY part. And i remember now why i've never liked too much these No NY scene. I  still prefer the "CBCG" crew (Suicide, Ramones, Cramps, etc...).

i think part 1 is still the best so far...

berlin / nyc was not bad, but i missed a bit some kind of leitmotif through the story ...

it was more like a random collection in some parts ....

bit the berlin 80ies feeling was really special ... i was there in 1984 as a real kid punk ...

will never forget those streets, houses, people, the smell,  the whole atmosphere

and the DEPECHE MODE movie after?

i have to admit i switched of the television after 5 minutes.

ok, DM fans will freak out, but imo these "live on tour with xxx" movies are all the same:

some live footage, scenes in the tour-van, backstage-scenes, views of crowds, some jokes etc...

no difference if its from DM or MADONNA or QUEEN or whoever ...

i hate soccer

34 (edited by Scarface 2009-08-14 10:17:51)

Queen Of Blood wrote:

that was a nice one, no?

@ Scarface
"Making a recording to write on DVD while at it."
-> excellent! smile

Yes, it was a nice one. The main goal (I think) of this documentary was to catch the spirit of young alternative people in the cities of Berlin and New York which it does quite well or even good. Lot of unknown (to me) bands in there probably only known in certain scenes then. It was a lot about having no money (no future) and still do what you what you feel/think is necessary to do. I remember one man saying like that he never believed in the

"Are you loving?"

35 (edited by dolcevita 2009-08-14 10:14:10)

besides the arty stuff for me in the 80ies was the most impressing thing in berlin more the punk thing:

record stores like VINYL BOOGIE or SASQUATSCH were magic places, and some bands were so intense: full of anger and no future...

the most famous HC act from berlin were VORKRIEGSJUGEND:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdnsSMkaeRs[/youtube]

i believe the entrance of the house seen here was next to VINYL BOOGIE store (there where the punx are sitting in front of) - gleditschstrasse kreuzberg

i hate soccer

Scarface wrote:

B.t.w. this docu made me think of the DVD I bought when I was in Berlin 2 years ago (yes it at your place Das Drehmoment Herr Capitan ;-). We spoke then right? It's only about Berlin and also has Die Toedliche Doris in it :

smile

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

37 (edited by EliasRafael 2009-08-14 14:08:12)

Part 3 was ok, always interesting to see the No Wave Scene and Blixa.
Nick Cave was really an intereresting guy, however, alles ein bisschen arty farty sometimes. But Kippenberger was really a good painter, saw a large exhibition in Dusseldorf some years ago. My favorite paiting was:

http://images.artnet.com/artwork_images … berger.jpg

but this is also very nice (never saw it before) lol
http://images.artnet.com/artwork_images … berger.jpg

Nick Cave lost his hair. The world is changing.

i am loosing my hair also but slowly...

what about a hair loss topic?

i hate soccer

40 (edited by herman13 2009-08-14 16:03:50)

...die szene 'der synthesizer spielt sich selbst' mit dem neubauten-typen war eindeutig der h

Postpunk & Neue Deutsche Welle: http://www.arte.tv/de/Kultur-entdecken/ … 02246.html
Samstag 15. August 2009 um 03.00 Uhr
Freitag 28. August um 18.05 Uhr

Synthie-Pop & New Romantic: http://www.arte.tv/de/Kultur-entdecken/ … 02254.html
Samstag 15. August 2009 um 03.50 Uhr
Montag 31. August um 18.05 Uhr

Geniale Dilettanten: http://www.arte.tv/de/Kultur-entdecken/ … 02306.html
Montag 31. August 2009 um 01.10 Uhr
Mittwoch 2. September um 05.00 Uhr

Rap, Breakdance & Graffiti: http://www.arte.tv/de/Kultur-entdecken/ … 02326.html
Dienstag 18. August 2009 um 23.10 Uhr
Samstag 22. August um 03.00 Uhr
Dienstag 1. September um 18.05 Uhr

Da da da - da gehen die Achtziger: http://www.arte.tv/de/Kultur-entdecken/ … 02488.html
Donnerstag 20. August 2009 um 22.30 Uhr
Sonntag 23. August um 12.55 Uhr

Gothic, Industrial & Metalbeat: http://www.arte.tv/de/Kultur-entdecken/ … 02616.html
Dienstag 25. August 2009 um 22.55 Uhr
Samstag 29. August um 03.00 Uhr
Donnerstag 3. September um 18.05 Uhr

House-Nation & Acid-Parties: http://www.arte.tv/de/Kultur-entdecken/ … 02620.html
Dienstag 25. August 2009 um 23.50 Uhr
Samstag 29. August um 03.50 Uhr
Freitag 4. September um 18.05 Uhr

thanks queen! i just found out that we actually have arte again in amsterdam!

will be cool to see some of those bands again, i saw pretty much all of the ones mentioned except for the few more local german ones live in those days..

I try to record most of these dokus on DVD...
Will watch later

Sending this transmission into the depths of space
I must complete my mission - destroy the human race

http://www.discogs.com/user/logistian

@ e-control
what means serious NDW? NDW got the name later after the new thing called punk/wave or whatever... as it became a big business for majors. I think the NDW letters stand for Hubert Kah, Frl. Menke or Joachim Witt and shit. not Bands like DAF, Fehlfarben... and why we talk about Flexipops nowadays? it is/ was just a cheap bootleg-CD-R series, not a style (I am sure you don`t mean the UK magazine, no?) wink grrrrrrr, I am too nerdy...hehe.

you are right, Arte did a good job anyways.

mainly agreeing smile
but think of German Bands like "Schwarz Weiss", their whole LP is excellent, and there are a lot more "real NDW" Bands out there (meaning the new german thing from 1980+ in general, not the industry hype).

Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, -life- has surface noise..." [John Peel]

EliasRafael wrote:

Part 1 was definetely better but in part 2 the Blitz Kids thing was the most interesting part to see. Reminds me of "Liquid Sky". Does anyone know which track they played in the club just before the part with David Bowie started?

Anyone got a sample of that song? Then we might be able to ID it.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

the hip hop special was so lala ...
many stupid off-comments imo ...

i hate soccer

http://dokujunkies.org/dokus/musik/welc … -xvid.html

Part 1 & 2 downloadable here

I think the rest will follow.

@fred

thx for the links.

depress the repress

thanx also

today da Gruftis

Love Xmal Deutschland