26 (edited by dolcevita 2009-08-27 17:23:41)

Re: Berlin - Prenzlauer Berg - a nightmare?

last week i was walking with MOSSMANN down a street in frankfurt. on the outside wall of one of these luxus refurbishment houses MOSSMANN was pissing. in these moment one of these liberal parents with his child in a modern & dynamic 1000 euro buggy passed by and said:

"Das finde ich aber jetzt nicht in Ordnung, dass ihr Hund an unsere sch

i hate soccer

"MOSSMANN will do it again"

LOL

Good doggy, Mossmann, good doggy... (pat, pat) lol

Kenzaburo wrote:

Who cares if they do that.. Surely it doesn't affect your life does it?

its manager education with hippie elements, so to say, thats the problem, it will affect...
wrong people with right skills, so to say...

gentrification happens everywhere. i used to live in the hipster 'getto' part of town for 6 years in helsinki (near KURVI). i liked to live there anyway as in the beginning it wasn't so bad. now i moved east to the place where all the neighbours are couples and have babies. i wanted some peace and quiet and now visiting the hipster place it seems so fake with skinny guys in their 300e ripped jeans and colourful fake glasses.

http://blogs.eveningsun.com/mull/Lil%20Wayne.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isUCQIvOplA[/youtube]

funny that this is such a strong issue in all the european cities, berlin is the absolute a+ example of it, there it happens almost to the whole city. smile

Though I've been to Hamburg a few weeks ago and there its the strongest tendency probably in the schanzenviertel. It's an area with quite some big squats, and leftists who'd attack the newly opened adidas shop every night until they completely barricaded it during closing times.
You also got this yearly demonstration going on there where the leftists fight against the police on the street, while the arty bobo guys sit in the chique caffes next to it and have fun seeing the squatters being pushed away by waterthrowers.

But yeah, what do I talk, I live on hipster de hipstraat in rotterdam.

gentrification  means 'keep hackney crap'
there is no holding it back
live in rough part of town
i live on the fringes of london
its possible to buy lattes and other frothy coffees
i drink tea
and guinness with old jamaicans in pork pie hats

keep hackney crap

I totally subscribe to Byron's point of view. All my favourite cities all tend to be grotty and/or rough, whether it's Naples, Marseille, Barcelona, Berlin or east London. It never occurred to me until my girlfriend pointed it out in a recent conversation.

I'm usually found amongst the Lebanese take-aways in Kastanienallee...it must be the Phoenician connection! smile

Torben, lass das bitte, das tut der Blume weh!
I saw the documentary too. I feel so sorry for the little children raised by this neo petty bourgeois.

37 (edited by zip 2009-08-28 18:24:34)

@ dolcevita, maybe prenzlauerberg isn't that interesting for you anymore, but what's wrong with that?

if you like a more punk, leftfield, raw, edgy and artistic environment, than you probably also like change and improvisation.. so it's just a matter of finding or creating such a new spot or area, or 'seeing' the new prenzlauerberg in other things happening.. things like that never get lost, they just shift around the city because of what JamesTRubotnik said.

you're getting old and sentimental big_smile

Fred vom Jupiter wrote:

Torben, lass das bitte, das tut der Blume weh!
I saw the documentary too. I feel so sorry for the little children raised by this neo petty bourgeois.

these are the hooligans for the new generation i'm sure smile

btw, what's wrong with latte, i prefer espresso, but nothing wrong with a latte every once in a while.

nothing wrong indeeeeeed

not sure if barcelona feels so rundown anymore. there has been too much cleaning up there too.
I think what you're talking about here is a loss or dilution of character, but I think these feelings are also mixed togather with some nostalgia for parties/people when one 1st discovers a city like that.

By the way, there is nothing wrong about carrying babies. it's prams that suck. And in the end I will take rich liberals and creatives over red necks, bogans and engineers any day. (i am an engineer and constantly wish i wasn't)

I always had been to Prenzl during the cold season, but this year i was there in summer. It reminded me to tourist areas in Spain. I also noticed lots of these "Natureshop-1-Kid" Families, where the Dad's take care for the baby while the woman is at work earning money smile All dressed up very stylish of course smile In Vienna they have even an own name for that "new kind" of couples or 1-kid-families, but i forgot the name of it.  And i also noticed the masses of 20 and 30 somethings from all over the world that hang around there in Berlin to work somehow in creative fields. They look all very busy with their macbooks and iphones, managing their next project from the cafe in the morning. I wonder how hard it is for some to make some bucks there, since everybody goes there with the same goal. I wonder if there are lots of them lucky to get a monthly cheque from mom & dad? However, it is amazing and partly amuzing to watch this cosmos while walking along the streets, but i wouldn't want to live there everyday

Reality is just a simulation

@teknob: You're right about Barcelona, it seems. So many of my mates have moved back to Berlin claiming that draconian laws are destroying/gentrifying the city, and the music scene seems to be on the butt-end of all this...

I just discovered the thread here.

First of all: I am native Prenzlauer Berger, I live in Prenzlauer Berg since I was born in 1974. Sometimes I am frustrated, but I still like my city, somehow I am proud. and as some of you said before, those developments happen in nearly every bigger city in the world. I always said: If they bomb Berlin I would like to live in Hamburg, but it is the same shit there too...

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

I was wondering where you've been, TG. You're more qualified to talk about this subject than all of us here.

I met a friend last night and he told me about the docu on tv, he said it was funny to see, they showed all our places, but he was pissed in the same way. He lives here since 1987 and hates all the yuppie shit.
some nice places are still there, like the huge beergarden at Prater we joined last night again. But I am happy if I can flee back to my house. Berlin nightlife is still interesting and always something new. That`s how it goes. It is not the end. wink

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

I just watchted the docu, it was a good portrait imo. Indeed it is the same in big cities everywhere today, similiar to how it was with NYC in the 80s I guess. Though it can make you cry sometimes, like the other guy said in the docu. I really liked the old couple, who lives at Prenzlauer for 35 years, who were suggested by the realtor to move to an Senior Home, but they live a kind of Grey Panther "resistance" smile. How scary that there are hardly old people anymore there. Such homogenous quarters are somehow strange and unreal... couldn't stand it.

Reality is just a simulation

I live in the mos bio nature conscious family country. Which crap is meticulously cleaned away every second hour. The building where I live is painted with a special paint that costs millions because it breaths. We have a shop where people living in the same house can buy good, all bio of course and a piece a bread costs 4 euro, salad possibly ten etc. Most families here are mild ex left wing hippies supporters grown up to fear they can get robbed of they beautiful little piece of land.

Prenzlauer Berg has become a boring part of Berlin imo, overloaded of fancy bars that all looking like the same. There is nothing exciting going on, no party, no good restaurants, drehmoment has closed and so on ... there is actually no reason to go there!

Lots of deejayz and other 'artists' live and/or move to Berlin simply because it's still cheap here compared to many other european capitals (I think most are much more expensive).

50 (edited by Maiovvi 2009-08-29 10:36:39)

Kenzaburo wrote:

Lots of deejayz and other 'artists' live and/or move to Berlin simply because it's still cheap here compared to many other european capitals (I think most are much more expensive).

it's essentially why I moved. I was hemorrhaging money in the UK and that wasn't even in London. Because of touring I found it difficult to hold down a normal job and I was getting by on money from concerts and occasionally a commissioned work. I'm by no means rich, I'm just about getting by, but certainly I have a better quality of life here.

I started coming to Berlin in 2006 and the difference is noticeable.

also I live in Wedding where nothing happens.