Re: Berlin - Prenzlauer Berg - a nightmare?

Uuh, wedding, just recently my friend was robbed and almost stabbed there .. Had a guy with knife coming. I have never experienced something like that in Berlin so was surprised to hear this. So in that sense maybe it's better to have some of those yuppies than get a knife to your chest smile

Kenzaburo wrote:

Uuh, wedding, just recently my friend was robbed and almost stabbed there .. Had a guy with knife coming. I have never experienced something like that in Berlin so was surprised to hear this. So in that sense maybe it's better to have some of those yuppies than get a knife to your chest smile

there are big drug problems down prinzenallee towards Pankow around Soldinerstr.

I so far (touch wood) have had no problems, but then I barely go out. Not out of fear, just I only really go out.

on one hand yes, it sucks that these kind of places can't stay the same. but on the other hand, i feel it's better when certain run down parts of town are being redeveloped rather than left alone. a lot of these types of neighborhoods can go 2 ways: either what is happening in prenzlauerberg now, or they turn into a total ghetto.

ever been to the inner city of detroit? harlem and the south bronx in NY in the 80's? you really don't want that to happen to your city, or even live there. i used to live in a part of town here in amsterdam where in the early 90's suddenly there was a flood of junkies, dealers and prostitutes moving in because they opened a legal street prostitution zone nearby. that got real old real fast, i had 2 dealers living in my building with a 24h a day flood of junks coming in for their fix.

tthis gentrification thing is happening on a smaller scale in my ''new'' neighborhood in amsterdam, and i don't mind.. a little less loosers, lowlife, alcoholics, junkies, dealers and idiots causing trouble and a little more families with kids and money can transform a neighborhood.

and the advantage is that this is a cyclic thing. now it may be prenzlauerberg, but as soon as a new neighborhood is ''discovered'', most of the hipsters and their following will move there..

i was there earlier this year as a guest of our Captain here, and i still liked the place a lot.. besides, it must be the only place in the world where new record shops still open regularly, so it can't be all that bad.. here they just close..

Word!

rude66 wrote:

on one hand yes, it sucks that these kind of places can't stay the same. but on the other hand, i feel it's better when certain run down parts of town are being redeveloped rather than left alone. a lot of these types of neighborhoods can go 2 ways: either what is happening in prenzlauerberg now, or they turn into a total ghetto.

ever been to the inner city of detroit? harlem and the south bronx in NY in the 80's? you really don't want that to happen to your city, or even live there. i used to live in a part of town here in amsterdam where in the early 90's suddenly there was a flood of junkies, dealers and prostitutes moving in because they opened a legal street prostitution zone nearby. that got real old real fast, i had 2 dealers living in my building with a 24h a day flood of junks coming in for their fix.

tthis gentrification thing is happening on a smaller scale in my ''new'' neighborhood in amsterdam, and i don't mind.. a little less loosers, lowlife, alcoholics, junkies, dealers and idiots causing trouble and a little more families with kids and money can transform a neighborhood.

and the advantage is that this is a cyclic thing. now it may be prenzlauerberg, but as soon as a new neighborhood is ''discovered'', most of the hipsters and their following will move there..

i was there earlier this year as a guest of our Captain here, and i still liked the place a lot.. besides, it must be the only place in the world where new record shops still open regularly, so it can't be all that bad.. here they just close..

good point rude. The process you describe is the called "filtering down", the opposite of gentrification. A big city will always change its appearance. It is a cycling thing, as you said. The old couple in the documentary said: "It looks as if we'll have to adapt us to the new situation". And they weren't filled with bitterness, when they said that. So one shouldn't complain that much. Just face the new situation and live with it or move to another part of town. If you like continuity, you shouldn't live in a big city, but a small one.

man, I just saw the re-run of the docu.

I feel a bit pissed now, because they showed all the clean shit, those rich architects, lawyers, actors, mamas...  as it came to a part where they talked about double rents for shops (that have to close sooner or later) and appartments (only 3000

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

57 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-08-29 14:11:09)

yeah, when the people with money move in the rents and everything become more expensive and the people with less money that were in there before have to move out .. That's the problem. I had a friend with a clothes shop in Prenzlauer Berg and he just moved his shop a while ago. But he's taking it actually with humour and saying that it's better in the new area anyway smile Things change ... I have also a friend (with money) who bought an renovated apartment in Prenzlauer Berg at Kastanienallee .. Heh, Ellen Allien is his neighbour smile But they have big problems in their apartments, the build quality is really bad even though it was shit expensive.  I think Ellen couldn't move into her flat because of some water damages or something.

i'm exploding out of couriosity to see this now since im highly interested. Anyone tell me if there's still a rerun, fingers crossed that someone will put it on the tube.

59 (edited by Zachary Bosch 2009-08-29 19:51:45)

rude66 wrote:

What annoys me is when they simply flatten a "bad" neighbourhood and build a new one. One that looks nicer (or at least newer, I don't care much for modern cheap architecture) and it looks like a improvement. However the people that used to live in the old one won't be able to afford to move to the new one so they go elsewhere. Rinse, repeat, and the underlying issues don't actually get addressed. While the problem may have a location the location isn't itself the cause.

-kas.

"french speaking children dance groups"

it sound like the worst "Bobo" concept ever lol

Last summer with mates we had some  drinks in this borough, as far as i remember it was nice, in front of the bar indeed, there was a sort of show  on a scene with parents and children, they handled big paper flowers, making a  cheap choregraphy, well as a tourist, it looked like a very pleasant place

it is

the city should build low cost city housing in the middle of the yuppie areas. or build a home for the bums. that's what they do in helsinki.

score100 wrote:

i'm exploding out of couriosity to see this now since im highly interested. Anyone tell me if there's still a rerun, fingers crossed that someone will put it on the tube.

DI 01.09.2009 | 23.05 Uhr | EinsFestival

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

I could imagine moving to east berlin (if I could work from there....) it's a lovely place.

for me, it'd be a combination of the culture and the stuff that's always going on, the cheapness to live vs the rest of europe, plus the access to everywhere else in europe by plane. Also the sense of space in berlin (scale of streets, rooms, etc) is right for me. most of the rest of europe and the UK is just so cramped and dinky and makes me feel uncomfortable... :-)

maybe I should bring my girlfriend, and we can raise some babies to keep the french speaking ballet classes going??

heifetz wrote:

the city should build low cost city housing in the middle of the yuppie areas. or build a home for the bums. that's what they do in helsinki.

i guess they will need another 137 years for imposing the comprehensive school, although there's another up to date study saying that more than one third of current pupils in germany visit the wrong of 3 possible forms of school while the pisa study did attest the fact that finnland does it better...

66 (edited by Decoder 2009-08-30 15:27:03)

heifetz wrote:

sounds like a good idea. I wonder too, if they would get it here in Germany.

Nothing as boring as to live in area where all are more or less the same kind, cause that is some kind of ghetto or a somehow artificial microcosmos then. Coolest thing is to live in an area with various social milieus and people of various age, at least that is my ideal. Hard to find anyway...

Reality is just a simulation

Decoder wrote:
heifetz wrote:

sounds like a good idea. I wonder too, if they would get it here in Germany.

Nothing as boring as to live in area where all are more or less the same kind, cause that is some kind of ghetto or a somehow artificial microcosmos then. Coolest thing is to live in an area with various social milieus and people of various age, at least that is my ideal. Hard to find anyway...

what we think we need is what others have. if we are surrounded by people with rolls royces etc. then we tend to think we need one, too. there are studies that show: most people dont know how much money they actually need, they 'need' to earn e.g. 3.000,- eur a month just because others do so or because they think that others do so. thats why integrativity ideas generally are good ideas, it helps against estrangement of people from others and this way against estrangement of people from theirselves and leads to a society of people working together, which is much more economical due to less far too expensive competition situations.

Friends of mine live in Prenzlberg. You can watch the development. Friedrichshain went the same... The bad thing about gentrification is the expulsion of long-time residents and elimination of affordable living space. Imagine you lived your whole life in a simple and advantageous but sweet neighborhood. And at that time when you are old, maybe insubstantial and short of cash in succession of low pension suddenly you have to move out because some rich kids are thinking your neighborhood is so fancy that they spend even the double of your rent. Same in Hamburg - Schanzenviertel now with McDonalds Support wink Friends of mine hosted a small OA in a backyard on the last Schanzenfest to show that we are still there. But I guess some of my friends are gentrifiers too - because they spend 750

Also its the rich being greedy (what they know best) by paying a fraction of the costs of their rich neighborhoods

750eur that's nothing for 3 room flat tbh smile

We pay 660

automatique wrote:

We pay 660

discogs sales 

73 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-08-30 21:19:19)

Dudes, that's really cheap rent. You can't find anything like that in other cities imho! For example in Paris for a much smaller apartment 1000eur is a good bargain!!!!!! (for 50 square meters) .. Most of the time it's mostly like 1500eur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So 660eur is like nothing, like air!!

if you would know how much money most of the berliners earn for their work then it is a normal level. you can`t say it is cheap if you get not enough money... we are not talking about the yuppies in P`Berg or Mitte now, and the craze in paris is known.

discogs sales 

but 87m

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → The Daily UFO → Berlin - Prenzlauer Berg - a nightmare?

Currently used extensions: pun_approval, pun_admin_add_user. Copyright © 2009 PunBB