Topic: Poisonous printing materials?

Seems like a strange topic maybe, but i know theres robots that can answer practically anything around here, and likely some with experience in the field.

Its regarding a book i bought recently through amazon. (If youre curious, its 'American Hardcore' by stephen blush, great book). Ayways i noticed from the start that it had this particuarly strange chemical-like scent to it, but i just said to myself that it would probably disappear. Well im about halfway through it now, and i cant read for more than like 10 minutes before i start getting headache and effects to my breathing and sinus etc. And it doesnt disappear until hours after putting the book down

Question is what can it be...i sent a mail to the seller on amazon and asked for another copy if he could prove it to be "safe", but might it be that im allergic in some way? If there is some really toxic crap you know of, please tell so i know if i should be afraid right now tongue

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."

Re: Poisonous printing materials?

dude haven't you ever seen seinfeld?

Maybe it got wet at one point with something? I work in printing but have never heard of something that nasty used in production. Maybe it's the binding glue?

I hope the seller gets you a replacement, or refunds your money.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

4 (edited by Vomatron 2008-07-20 23:54:30)

lol at that seinfeld episode...never was a fan though

Myeah its possible its just me thats allergic to something here...i talked with a colleague today and she told me she gets the same kinda reaction i did, from reading newspapers. Her doctor apparently made her aware that its something to do with the dust after printing...particles. The toxic book of mine is close to looking like a newspaper, although not at all as thin pages. Thats maybe where the problem lies.

I also hope i get a replacement of a better kind, but the thing is if it really IS toxic, and im goin down within the year or som then im gonna need evidence !

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."

Sell it in ebay for 999$ "Haunted book"

freakazoids, Robots, Please Report To The Dancefloor

Myeah maybe, with taglines something along "GUARANTEED - WILL KILL YOU". It might even do better than this did: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … =p3907.m29