Topic:

I saw this nottice in a few webs and blogs:

Unofficial: Panasonic To Cease Production of Technics Turntables

Although, there has not been an official announcement, it appears that Panasonic will cease production of all Technics turntables in early 2010. Legendary decks, the Technics SL-1200 and SL-1210, will got the way of the DoDo bird

Re:

heard it somewhere on discogs earlier this year. I don't believe it though..

that technics will STAY the standard goes without saying.

Re:

The Service Manual (pdf-file).
Recommended Oil Some use WD-40, use at your own risk.
The Faq Including fixes and hacks.

4 (edited by silver 2009-11-28 00:16:42)

Re:

Well for one, they're built like tanks and I really don't think that any of the 3 I have standing around will ever go out of service unless I wreck them with a hammer or my house burns down.

(I've got 1 from 1982 that looks freshest, 1 from 1992 that served 3 years in a raunchy club prior to being bought by me and had the pitchfader replaced after I slushed something sticky in there and 1 from 1997 or 1998 that I bought fresh and banged up myself by taking it to parties).

But they're still playing perfectly damn fine.

That said, the commercial DJ'ing has almost fully gone CD these days (if not digital) so I can see how the demand is getting so low.. Then again, when writing this, how about turntablism? I have no idea if and how much that is still around and if they haven't either embraced Vestax as their prime dealer or use some kind of digital alternative too.

I have my decks. I'll cherish them. But if I had the money I would buy a pair of new ones right now just for keeps smile

hoi!

Re:

So, better than to invest in stocks is getting a shitload of new 1210s and selling them in 20 years

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Re:

silver wrote:

I have my decks. I'll cherish them. But if I had the money I would buy a pair of new ones right now just for keeps smile

W-O-R-D !!!

ITALOMASTER  /  www.discotrax.de

Pack my case
Leave behind this human race

Re:

Rest easy, people...
http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=603

Re:

got me 2 new 1200  1,5 years ago  ghehgeheg  so i'm safe for the next 17 years

also i got my 2 first technics 1200 here      i will never sell them i think because they were my first one's  and i used them for 17 years

Re:

i know this is a bit 'emo'

but my dad gave me my sl's when i was 13 or 14 or so, because he believed i really could do something with something that seemed so ridiculous and expensive to him

best gift ever. they'll be standing here when i'm 50 and have kids, if that ever happens. and i will mix goddamnit.

hoi!

Re:

Dear Customers,

We would like to clarify an article we wrote in our newsletter titled "End of an era... Technics 1200". As it turns out, Panasonic have not discontinued the Technics turntable range.

We received this email from Panasonic today:

Sent: Monday, 30 November 2009 4:44 PM
To: Jeremy Leitch
Subject: URGENT please read regarding Technics Turntables.
Importance: High

Regarding an email I sent last week regarding the end of manufacture of Technics turntables
We have had a misunderstanding in communication with the factory and my original email is incorrect.
Panasonic will continue to manufacture and supply Technics turntables for the forseeable future.
We regret any problems this may have caused in the meantime.
Regards.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
David Blair | Sales Executive | Consumer Electronics Group| Panasonic Australia

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Re:

i'm sure it didn't hurt sales either