Topic: QY700 or RM1x? ...or something else?

Hello,

I've been looking for a hardware sequencer recently, and at the moment, I think the QY700 or the RM1x might be the best choice for me.

First, I read about older machines like the Kawai Q80 or the old Roland MC series, but I discovered that they might not suit my needs perfectly. I want to use the sequencer as a live thing, so it should be possible to do pattern based stuff, but I also want to use it in the studio, where I've only been using software so far. There where others which might have been cool (Akai ASQ-10 for example), but they are hard to find, and if they ever break down, they can't be replaced too quickly. So I looked at some more modern stuff, like the MC-303, which is verrry easy to get, but its MIDI-Out capabilities seem to be absolutely unsatisfying.

My current hardware setup looks like this:
Electribe ES-1
Electribe EA-1
Nord Rack 2
Alesis Micron

I want to replace the EA-1, as it only has two mono tracks, which is kinda limited for a sequencer of course, but I think about keeping the ES-1 as a sampler, because the sequencers that I prefer at the moment don't have samplers and I also don't want/need to have everything in one machine (and the sequencer's internal sounds are not too important for me, actually). One thing that also bothers me about those Electribes is that the maximum pattern length is only 4 bars.

So now I've got the QY700 and the RM1x on my top list, but I also read about the RS7000, and an MPC 2000 (xl) might also be an option, though the latter two are twice the price, and I don't know if the MPC's way of sequencing might be what I'm looking for.
One thing that got me absolutely stunned is when I saw that the QY700 has not only patterns, but also Intro/Ending and Fill-Ins. That's what I know from my old KORG keyboard, and I hope it can be used in exactly the same way. Instead of having e.g. a long 16 bar pattern, which always ends in the same drum roll at the end, I could just flexibly throw in one of several Fill-Ins at any time. That would mean absolute amazingness! And as far as I read, the RM1x seems to have this feature as well, only that you actually have 16 patterns available for every song ("style"), which can be freely defined to act as a normal pattern or a Fill-In. Is that correct? That would be so cool! Not only for live performances, but also for the studio, where I like to improvise and get ideas by simply acting as if I'm live perfoming wink

But I'm still unsure about choosing one of them... or are there any more alternatives? I also read about the QY300 which has a nicer form factor in my opinion, but it fails for live performing because you can't mute and unmute tracks with a single button press sad big big sadness... it seemed so sexy!

So here's what I think about both remaining sequencers:

- QY700 looks more "general": the internal sounds will be more allround, nothing special, the sequencer might be more "complete". I don't know if there will be lots of usable drum sounds in it (fitting to electronic music), and it doesn't have too many live controls. It's a bit big for my taste, but this also results in having a bigger display, which might be a good thing. On the other hand, my electribes only have a 3-digit-display and working with them is - apart from their limitations - a breeze. I actually hope that programming sequences on it won't be too complicated and cumbersome wink Last but not least, it has 2 MIDI-Outs!

- RM1x looks more "rave": internal sounds are definitely targeted towards special tastes, the sequencer might lack some completeness, but maybe it's better live-oriented? It has "mute memory" buttons, for example. It has a big "sequence remixer" label on it and this gives me some kind of "techno toys for little boys" impression wink I do have to say that I prefer non-fancy looks, but I don't want to let that influence my decision too much. It could be a LOT worse actually (Roland D2... wink

What I like about both is that they have a 3,5" disk drive. No special Compact Flash / SD / PCMCIA / whatever cards, just simple diskettes which are highly available and straight forward. And of course the Fill-In stuff wink if that's really implemented the way I understand it wink

So what do you think? Is there anyone who has used them both? Is programming easy-going? Which one do you prefer and why? Do the Fill-Ins really work the way I think? And might buying a completely different machine be the better decision for my needs?

Greetings
ZeHa

PS: One thing that bothers me about my Electribe ES-1 is that if you trigger the samples over MIDI, they will be played no matter if they're set to muted on the ES or not. Is this true for many samplers / drum machines? This is annoying... I'd like to be able to sequence everything on my hardware sequencer, but still be able to mute the sounds on the actual sound modules...

2 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2010-01-16 15:15:03)

Re: QY700 or RM1x? ...or something else?

I got both and would advise the RM1x or RS7000 over the QY700, its faster and more intuitive, almost made for retards. The sounds in the RM1x are pretty ok, its a rompler synth so you can edit it a littlebit (envelopes, LFO, filter)...the QY700 sounds are a little bit better and you can also edit them a littlebit but they are more general MIDI orientated.

The QY700 goes deeper but its all stuff you don't really need imo...maybe more for really advanced music compositions...its got this cubase like arrangement screen and chord/transposition stuff that makes everything more complicated...

I think the intro/ending patterns on the QY700 are exactly the same as the normal patterns its just a name tag on them.

Don't underestimate the RM1X/RS7000 as being a groovebox its one of the best hardware sequencers ever.

Don't go for the QY300 there was a no-go on that one but I can't remember what it was, but it sucked.

Keep the ES-1 you won't get that sound out of any other sampler!

PS: One thing that bothers me about my Electribe ES-1 is that if you trigger the samples over MIDI, they will be played no matter if they're set to muted on the ES or not. Is this true for many samplers / drum machines? This is annoying... I'd like to be able to sequence everything on my hardware sequencer, but still be able to mute the sounds on the actual sound modules...

The RM1X mutes MIDI completely on the selected channel if you hit the mute button, but I am pretty sure you can turn that off on the ES-1, its one of those MIDI filter things or something?

Thanks for your quick answer! Yes, as I said, I also thought that the big display on the QY700 might actually make things a bit more complicated wink

And the QY300 has indeed a big no-go, I already mentioned that in my post smile it's the impossibility of muting a track with a single button - you have to use the jog wheel to select the track and then click some function button to mute that. Absolutely horrible for live techno stuff wink which is sad, because as I already mentioned, if I would just decide based on how the machines look, I would have chosen the QY300 wink perfect size and perfect beauty, but terrible live handling

is it correct, that the rm1x can have different steplenght/tracklength for each trck? that means for instance: t1--midich1--15steps , t2 midich2 36 steps a.s.o.? that would help me a lot. i

yes, I dunno about 15 steps or different 3/4 4/4 8/16 or whatever, but stuff like track 1 is 16 steps and track 2 is 64 steps and track 3 is 32 steps is yes all in the same pattern.

What are the price range of the RS7000 and the Rm1x?

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

i saw a RM1-X for sale at 120

8 (edited by Blue Maquina 2010-01-17 12:06:32)

Has anyone else pimped out their rm1X with proper Tactile switches? It make a big difference. Those Plunger Rubber stock internal buttons are very terrible. I desoldered and did it myself. I also changed a few led's to different colors. I made the BPM led white.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/blue_lantern320/100_0096.jpg

Planet of Cevo

Squadra Smackos wrote:

The RM1X mutes MIDI completely on the selected channel if you hit the mute button, but I am pretty sure you can turn that off on the ES-1, its one of those MIDI filter things or something?

Well, the problem is the other way round:
If I program a beat on the ES, I am able to mute individual drum sounds of course. But when the beat would be programmed on a sequencer, those mute buttons won't have an effect anymore. So I'd have to mute them directly on the sequencer, which is of course not a real problem, but somehow I'd prefer being able to do that also on the ES. Now I'd be interested if this behavior is often the same for other drum machines / samplers as well (because I'm thinking of getting some additional drum gear, maybe a Boss or MFB), or is this just some annoyance the ES has?

Another question, does the RM1x have some decent 808 sounds?

To mute individual sounds if ES is used as midi expander you can use the level pot too. Okay, you have to select the single sound before. And when you hit the button the sound is hearable too, i know. But thats the way I use it, if in midi mode. Most of the time I use the internal sequencer and slave ES to TRs.

@ automatique: You can select the sound with SHIFT, so it won't be heard wink
I also thought about maybe using the ES's internal sequencer and then just send pattern change events from the main sequencer... maybe that's a better way to work. But I guess I'll have to play around to see what's the best method.

Thanks for the advise! I'm not so advanced, nearly caveman style robotic disco wink I'm doing most in handwork, switching sequences. But I'm curios about the rm1x also - maybe more sequencing will push things forward.

+1 for rs7000.

sold my rm1x when i got rs7000.  both top tier sequencers. 

i use esx and rs7000.

what about a machinedrum? excellent sequencer and also very portable. Should be around the same price as the rs7k

machinedrums are way way way more expensive. you can get an rs7k for 350-500.

Yes, and I don't like the sound too much. I'd prefer a Monomachine, but still, I don't think the sequencer is that flexible (I haven't used it though).

I'd like to repeat a previous question of mine: Does anybody know if the RM1x has some (authentic) 808 sounds?

well, it has a lot of drumkits...909, 808, organstyle rhythmbox, funk, jazz etc. drums but they all sound a littlebit flat like almost all romplers...they can sound ok when you use the internal RM1X Equalizer but then you don't have any effects left (except for chorus and reverb)...it would be a good idea to have an ES1 for the drums or something...

18 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2010-01-19 10:58:17)

For me that was one of the reasons to get the RS7000, if the sounds aren't fun enough I can still fill up the sampler. And compared to the rm1x the sequencer is a bit better for programming live. But a Rm1x and a ES1 will get you the same result.

Well, I plan to continue using my ES-1 of course, and I intend to buy a sequencer mainly for sequencing, so the internal sounds aren't very important for me - but if there are usable sounds, I might still use some of them of course wink sometimes it's just easier to simply pick an available sound instead of transferring / recording it on the sampler. But as I said, it's not that important... I also thought about maybe getting an external drum module like the Alesis SR-18, simply to have more sounds readily available, and I think they're quite good.

The RS7000 would be an option, of course, but it's definitely more expensive and there's something I don't quite like about it... but I can't name it wink maybe it's too big or too "all-in-one", I don't know. If it would be half the price, I might think about it twice, but since it's mainly the sequencer that I'm after, I think I'll be better off with the RM1x (or the QY700 maybe).

Ohh there's one more important thing that I'd like to ask:
The ES-1 has the sample tracks mapped to individual notes. Now let's say I want to program a beat on the RM1x, and I want to use e.g. the first 8 step buttons' tracks of the RM1x to trigger the drum channels of my ES-1, in standard Roland-style drum programming. Does that work? Or is that a bit more complicated? Because there would have to be some kind of mode where a track on the RM1x always has just one note assigned (e.g. the track represented by the first step button only plays the note C4, the second track only D4 and so on)...

21 (edited by Honey Peters 2010-01-20 01:23:57)

That sounds confusing.
You can assign each track on the rm1x to send midi on any midi channel you want. So, you could set the first 8 tracks to send on midi 1 and have the electribe receive on 1.  The rm1x can does grid step sequencing which lets you use every track as it's own polyphonic x0x sequencer.  You can also use each track to sequence and send out just one note too. Each of the tracks would be sequencing one kind of note (c4) that would correspond to the note for the desired drum part on the es-1.

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thatnk you smile
I was just not sure if I would have to set the note manually on every trigger step (e.g. my Bassdrum is on C4, and I wouldn't want to be forced to set every step manually to C4 on the first track).

ZeHa wrote:

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thatnk you smile
I was just not sure if I would have to set the note manually on every trigger step (e.g. my Bassdrum is on C4, and I wouldn't want to be forced to set every step manually to C4 on the first track).

Why would you want to sequence the electribe with the rm1x? The sequencer on the electribes are very easy. What i really like about the rs7000 is the sound quality, it has this 'full' sound that give a lot of power to the drums.

Because I'd like to have the entire sequence on one machine, so I won't have to deal with different patterns and so on... the Electribe patterns can only be max. 4 bars long. So if I program a 16 bar pattern on the RM1x, I'd like to program the whole 16 bar beat on the RM1x as well instead of programming e.g. several patterns on the Electribe and then only sending program change events to it. This might be a good idea in some cases, but I want to be able to do it both ways. If I use the Fill-In stuff on the RM1x, things might get complicated if I have "remote" patterns...

25 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2010-01-20 14:23:55)

Bare in mind that the rm1x will mute all tracks accept the one you're editing when you are writing in grid mode (= tr x0x style step sequencer). A big let down if you plan to program drums live x0x style. The RS7000 doesn't do this.