Topic: Cornwall

anyone planning on hitting Cornwall this summer? I haven't been for years, definitely long overdue for a visit...

2 (edited by meschi 2010-02-03 16:57:32)

Re: Cornwall

Ive never been. whats there to do in Cornwall?

edit: I don't mean that theres obviously nothing to do in Cornwall, more, whats there to do in Cornwall.

usually people go there to surf cos there's lots of coastline but there's all kinds of mad gardens and ruins and stuff like that there too... very strange and beautiful nature down there as well. presume it's pretty devoid of nightlife but a good place to visit for relaxation and spiritual restoration.

http://www.ukaccommodationindex.com/cor … mation.php

Not much to do there apart from take copious amounts of LSD and smoke when i was at Art College there.

But apart from that - Kynance Cove is a must see - stunning scenery and an off the beaten track, real private beach

Falmouth and Penzance are both really cool for good galleries, pubs and restaurants (especially Pete's Place in Falmouth) and Falmouth College of Art has there show on in June which is always worth checking out if you like that sort of thing.

Also St.Ives for the Tate and Hepworth museaum.

Failing that you can just explore the rugged landscape the inspired early Aphex Twin I guess wink

nice one breaker.
yeah, we should organise a weekend down there. no nightlife, just sittni by the sea, eatin fresh seafood and drinkin ciders and ales all night.

sounds brilliant.

let's do it...

I was thinking of going this summer with the girlfriend - haven't been back since i left college in 1997!

Trago Mills is also a weird Cornish thing indeed!

casionova wrote:

let's do it...

oh man, I can smell the humid, sea air already. We should sort something for mid July.

Trago Mills plane! smile

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/FLS_Sprint_160.JPG

@ breaker - we should try and time visits and hook up over a pasty!

@ meschi - I'm willing to do the drive if we can get a few people along for the ride to bring the petrol costs down, mid-July sounds perfect

Trago Mills = the most weird shop and adventure world on the planet

Breaker wrote:

Trago Mills = the most weird shop and adventure world on the planet

haha I look forward to checking it out!

this is apparently where my family originates from (Sennen Cove), definitely want to check it out when down there:

http://www.surfsup-mag.co.uk/wavesearch/page27/Sennen-Cove.JPG

I can remember Bedruthen Steps very well from childhood holidays and would love to go back there too, rusty handrail and gale-force winds haha

casionova wrote:

@ meschi - I'm willing to do the drive if we can get a few people along for the ride to bring the petrol costs down, mid-July sounds perfect

we definitely can. I know Jasperfari would be up for, thens theres me, spud?, you, jasper. Frank and Faye will probably be into it as well

Ill sort somethin with them./

this place looks insane as well (Heligan Gardens):

http://79.170.40.41/pinelodgelooe.co.uk/images/Heligan.jpg

meschi wrote:
casionova wrote:

we definitely can. I know Jasperfari would be up for, thens theres me, spud?, you, jasper. Frank and Faye will probably be into it as well

Ill sort somethin with them./

excellent!

17 (edited by ytz 2010-02-03 18:17:27)

i go every year. it's not a place to go out dancing, really. it's just got a great individual vibe, not really like anywhere else in the uk. there's a few spots to go that are just unlike anything else - devil's mouth, for example, is just mental cliff drops but surrounded by lush vegetation that looks more tropical than anything else. the seas are often turquoise. if you surf, you're sorted. if you like to drink and hang around, you're sorted. stay too long and you might get bored, but it's great for recharging batteries.

there's plenty of scope for holding parties of your own - so many nooks and crannies, so many beaches, not many people about (though obviously there's more than usual in summer). it's important to stay somewhere on the coast, though, a place like redruth is just like any other mining town really. newquay is absolutely packed in the summertime, st. ives is quieter and smaller but has an art gallery or six and better pubs. always thought it strange that more parties don't happen in cornwall in the summer. it's basically england's answer to ibiza.

oh and there's the eden project if you like biodomes, radio 3, biological diversity and screaming kids queueing for hours to get an ice cream

cuties don't exert

rick stein styleee bbqs - he the man big_smile

karamanga wrote:

http://libcom.org/forums/news/cnla-corn … rity-chefs

hehe

casionova wrote:
karamanga wrote:

hehe

im all for supporting local business man but more boundaries aint what the planet needs. rick steins dad committed suicide there, apparently after being racially abused as a kid during ww1 and subsequent electric shock therapy. tongue

nice cheery chat in yer holiday thread!  sorry dude. he still the man (even though i dinnie eat fish anymore) big_smile

karamanga wrote:
casionova wrote:
karamanga wrote:

hehe

im all for supporting local business man but more boundaries aint what the planet needs. rick steins dad committed suicide there, apparently after being racially abused as a kid during ww1 and subsequent electric shock therapy. tongue

nice cheery chat in yer holiday thread!  sorry dude. he still the man (even though i dinnie eat fish anymore) big_smile

I wasn't advocating firebombing him, just thought the article was relevant to the chat... to be honest I think if the CNLA want to throw off English shackles they have "bigger fish to fry" (boom boom!!) big_smile

Jamie Oliver on the other hand... haha

casionova wrote:
karamanga wrote:

I wasn't advocating firebombing him, just thought the article was relevant to the chat... to be honest I think if the CNLA want to throw off English shackles they have "bigger fish to fry" (boom boom!!) big_smile

Jamie Oliver on the other hand... haha

yep Monsieur Casio the article was relevant, as my terribly cheery and boring comments to the article (not you) are meant to be ;/ As for Jamie, I hate him for the corporate sell outs, but people know how to make spag ball now...do you..tell the truth? 
on topic. will you be camping and playing frisby?

haha don't worry, just wanted to be clear where I stood having posted the article!

the only spag bol I'm really bothered about is my mum's (which is amazing btw), otherwise yes you're right, mine comes from a jar... but it's Lloyd Grossman dammit!! he's much cooler than Jamie Oliver wink

back to Cornwall - camping is certainly an option from my point of view, and if we can dig out an old Aerobie then I'll be up for that (as long as we don't play it near any clifftops! can just see one of us flying over the edge while attempting a catch)

been to pencance for a few weeks ages ago. It was amazing, shure had some of the nicest walks over there. smile

25 (edited by meschi 2010-02-04 10:13:40)

Im up for going, but Im more of a 5 star hotel man, you know, shower, fois gras, free massages from buxom sweddish mistress'.

but I supopse camping will do, 0 stars, rain water, grass,