Topic: buy a new synth

i

Re: buy a new synth

Well the Prohet 08 is new, powerfull, main ( a good masterkeyboard ) and analogue so you are on to something wink
But it's still a lot of money so you really should go and try it out somewhere yourself.
It's not a secret anymore i love the machine, but maybe you don't.
In fact there's people that are selling it already so you should be able to get
one for relatively cheap. I've seen a rackversion for

you should get it. it's a little dream machine wink

can anyone advise me another cool analog synth?

Roland Juno 60

What do you robots think about rack versions? prefer them or better spend some more money?

freakazoids, Robots, Please Report To The Dancefloor

SCI Prophet 600 and you save 3/400 euro from 1000.

Broken Pots Hunter

Larry Levan wrote:

What do you robots think about rack versions? prefer them or better spend some more money?

i think u buy them when u dont need the keys.

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:
Larry Levan wrote:

I just don't see many people with rack versions thats why I asked

freakazoids, Robots, Please Report To The Dancefloor

well,yeah,when i say analog synth,i want to say something modern, i

Alesis Andromeda
Dave Smith Poly Evolver
Moog Voyager (mono)
Novation BassStation (mono)

Only had BassStation so cant recommend any other then that one.
If I would be a new analog it would be the prophet 08 for sure.
Best price and good sound.

Larry Levan wrote:
S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:
Larry Levan wrote:

I just don't see many people with rack versions thats why I asked

Especially older vintage keyboard versions are better available on the 2nd hand market because most of their first owners where often keyboardists playing in bands or recording in a early midi environment. Often there's simply no module versions of a 'vintage' synth available. And if there are they are often harder to edit without a programmer, if at all.
More modern synths have sophisticated midi implementation and / or a user friendly interface, so the choice for a keyboard version comes down to whether you want keys or not; all the rest is exactly the same. And that's also something you see reflected on the 2nd hand market: it's much easier (and often cheaper) to find for instance a Nord Rack.

So it's not really whether you like rack versions or not, it really differs per make and model. Having said that there's one thing I like about keyboard versions: when you program them you can preview your edits without a sequence running. But that's negligible.

knobs on prophet 08 rack version seem to be the same as the evolver desktop, not the most luxurious thing to tweak but I think they would be hard to break...
if you already own a master keyboard getting the rack version is not a bad choice.

what do you think about Clavia synths?
ex: Clavia Nord lead 2X

15 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2008-08-04 17:12:11)

I can only talk about the Nord 1 and 2. Somebody working for Clavia told me the 3 was a bit of a failure and that's why they came up with the 2x (a sort of a 2nd attempt to make a replacement for the 2). I once demoed the 3 at somebodies house and wasn't excited about it, but I never heard the 2x so I can't say much about them. But in general, Clavia's Nord's are good.

The Nord 1 and 2 are not extremely exciting but you can always use them for something somewhere somehow. It's interface and preset patches are kinda based on the Prophet 5. But don't let that fool you. It has a bit of it's own sound, especially in the higher tone regions you can hear some digital edge and overall it can never really replace an analog synth, it just isn't convincing enough. If you're looking for big, woolly, warm and analog the Nord can be disappointing if you don't use some external (analog-) processors or effects, but if you're not the Nord will prove to be a strong and very useful tool.

I think the Nord Rack 1 was the 3rd or 4th synth I bought and I've used it ever since, both in the studio and live. I've always brought it live to take care of various parts that I can't or don't want to sample, like certain strings (which in the studio I mostly use the jx8p and juno 106 for) and some Casio CZ and Korg DW sounds. It can never replace them 100% accurately, but it does show it's quite a broad sounding synth.
Especially the Nord 2 with it's 4 outputs and 16 voices is a great synth for starters, and once you get into buying more uniquer sounding synths you can have them take care of the parts that matter and use the Nord for additions. It's a bit of a chameleon, or a work horse, and I won't get rid of my Nord Rack 1 for a long while.

only clavia thats worth it is G2 imo.

even better the G2X, it comes with a number of knobs and a keyboard. Not to mention that it is already expanded smile
One of the best synths I have ever bought (if you are into more modular stuff and willing to do a lot of math, just
not to overrun the CPU, that is..)

interesting thread;

what synthie would you recommend most for some 80's funky basses or crisp/sharp 80's synth lines?
and which one would be best for ultra-clean, enhanced 80's pop/funk like the sound of eddie craig or
thelma houston (you used to hold me so tight always kicks me to mars with it's brilliant heaven made frequencies smile ) ?

Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, -life- has surface noise..." [John Peel]

i think equally important is to know how those tracks were processed.

http://www.sonic-core.net/de/products/system1200.html
http://www.sonic-core.net/images/system-1200-asb-big.jpg