1 (edited by Larry Levan 2008-08-01 20:34:31)

Topic: Reaper 0.99 last freeware version

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

freakazoids, Robots, Please Report To The Dancefloor

Re: Reaper 0.99 last freeware version

Reaper is freeware?

Trying out the latest version of Reaper ... very impressed so far

4 (edited by no-fi 2008-08-03 03:40:31)

it looks cool.... is anyone here using it yet?

I still haven't managed to move away from cubase.

A few on the CBS either commented or adopted it. Read from here on down.

Woodi Aki also may have checked it out:
http://www.cbs.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22139

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

I was going for Reaper, but I got Ableton Suite instead. I still think Reaper's a very good DAW for the price though.

Can you sequence MIDI with Reaper?

Yep. More info here...

9 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-08-04 17:38:12)

Am I a retard or can't I open the midi editor? It sais to create a MIDI event and then double click on it, but it doesn't open anyhting?

EDIT: it also doesn't open anything when I do this "by right-clicking on a MIDI Item and selecting Open Items with built-in MIDI editor (Ctrl+Alt+E)"...does it only work on Vista or something like that...

Maybe right click or some stuff? Menu executable option only?

No...strange maybe some driver is missing or something

Reap that driver, Smackos. PC or Mac?

13 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-08-04 17:48:54)

PC

I also thought it was free but now I saw this:
The normal price for REAPER is $225.00 USD, however for users who wish to use REAPER only for non-commercial use we offer reduced price licensing for $50.00 USD.

what the fuck do they mean with non commercial use? That when I want to pay it from my business account I have to pay fucking 175 euros extra???

Fucking communist scumbags

I am already fed up with this program

Hmm. I would just say I'm non-commercial. I make underground shit. Or maybe if you may use it to make money? I don't make money, I'm poor. So either way, I'd pay 50 bones tops.

check this one out http://www.angryredplanet.com/temper/

Hmmm that looks good, it is working at least wink however, in the editor when I put a note down with the mouse it just puts a standard 1 piece there and you have to use the magic wand tool to make it bigger or smaller...isn't there an option to draw the notes like in the old cubase...that would safe a lot of hassle and clicking

I'm not using a lot of MIDI on it (haven't tried controlling the microkorg yet) but right clicking in the horizontal section gives lots options to add channels (audio or not) and once the channel is created click on TRM button to edit event curves (for volume pan and any other cc value).

Squadra Smackos wrote:

what the fuck do they mean with non commercial use?

Their license terms are vague to me... from what I can tell, if you just don't use it to record other people's music (ie as a multitrack recorder in a studio you are renting out) then it counts as noncommercial use.... weird.

That when I want to pay it from my business account I have to pay fucking 175 euros extra???

an extra US$175 is a lot less than an extra 175 euro right now....

but even if you did get charged full price, if it does everything you want in a DAW program, even US$225 is very cheap compared to live or cubase.
:-)

Fucking communist scumbags

I am already fed up with this program

traktion looks interesting, and has that whole bars and pipes thing going on (probably why I like it!) but in the V1 I have (though its now at V3!) when I tried to use it, it seemed a bit clunky to get around.

otherwise, there's always pro tools, cubase, logic, and ableton live......

but even if you did get charged full price, if it does everything you want in a DAW program

Apart from opening the most important editor in the program wink

traktion looks interesting, and has that whole bars and pipes thing going on (probably why I like it!) but in the V1 I have (though its now at V3!) when I tried to use it, it seemed a bit clunky to get around.

otherwise, there's always pro tools, cubase, logic, and ableton live......

I will check out Traktion too, I still can't figure out if you can draw multi length blocks in the MIDI editor in Temper.
Ableton is too difficult for me, can't make head nor tail of that

here is a quick tutorial.
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/183/awesomevt9.gif
but, the Line tool is my favorite, and also the Velociraptor next to it. Even has fluctuating sines for note/velocity shape uhehehe

21 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-08-05 10:04:00)

Yes but that is not what I mean, I mean that while you drop the note and hold the mouse button you can make it any length you want (Like in Cubase)....now you've got to go back and forth and decide what length a note is going to be...that will make you sound like some minimal producer from Berlin or some shit that uses Ableton.

It looks and feels very good this program otherwise, its fast and easy to understand.

The line tool is kind of what I mean, coming close but it still devides the length you make in seperate notes you have chosen (I want for example just 1 note length over 4 bars, just drop it without fuzz)

Or am I being stupid again and is there a button for that (I hope?)

22 (edited by ratsnake 2008-08-05 11:18:06)

i figure it out, you click both left and middle button and then drag left or right = you can make any length note without having to pick length and place for 6 hours. It will change note length according to the quantization selected

also ST SE and SV allow you to add a curve of note length and envelope (i think thats what SE is...sine envelope) and velocity to selected notes.

select notes by using middle click and select, then click on SE and can make a sine for the lengths.

23 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-08-05 12:28:25)

Ok that sound good

But middle button?

I am really a retard I am sorry but where is the middle button? You mean on the mouse? I don't have middle buttons sad

i figured...i have a scroll wheel because my mouse its from the 90s and i can click it

Ok I connected a mouse with a scroll middle button, that does indeed work

Thanks for that tip, it looks good but you still have to click twice...but maybe I am whining about it too much wink