Topic: Russia vs. Georgia

does anybody have an opinion?

is this a sign of things to come for EU?

is your countries media giving it adequate coverage?

does anyone care?

Re: Russia vs. Georgia

http://www.robotsforrobots.net/viewtopi … 041#p14041

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

russian imperialism covered in do-goody rhetorics from every direction.

Monkey see, monkey do.

4 (edited by Funkbox 2008-08-12 07:06:22)

yeah I'm just wondering why the majority of the Western Democratic nations are not having a total shit fit over this.
especially Europe.

You know, because of the oil pipeline implications.

I just have a feeling this is the start of something that will turnout to be more widespread

I've barely heard anything about it here in Sydney, only from foreign news sites

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

6 (edited by jonny five 2008-08-12 09:21:21)

Russia had a problem with Georgia for a while. They are not happy about this pipeline which bypasses them for a start: BTC Pipeline. They also accuse Georgia of being pro-west and harbouring us military bases and missile bases. Seems like Russia is as paranoid and power hungry as ever? I guess they are no worse than America in that respect.. They seem to have been heavily supporting these pro-Russian autonomous regions of Georgia like South Ossetia to try and gain some power there.

funkbox: not entirely true. for example france tried to pass an agreement in the un-security council for a immediate cease-fire but russia turned it down saying it included nothing about georgian agression-acts..

russia wont stop until saakasjvili is gone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7555858.stm

medvedev(putin) sure proved me wrong. PEACE LOVE UNITY RAVE.

i guess they got more attention than they accounted for.

Monkey see, monkey do.

I've tried to get up to date on this but it seems hard. Ive heard a bit about georgia from a girl i work with who been there for a longer period. She says their president lives in a big transparent dome of glass and on most corners there are posters hinting at the EU and georgias great relationship in a semi-dictatorial fashion. This isnt to put down georgia, but just to hint that the leaders of the country arent entirely what ou media makes it up to be. And certainly they are nothing against russian military power, but that shouldnt be the sole reason for not looking at it from the russian perspective. Again i dont have an opinion, its too complicated or me to get into. But its not looking good

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."

http://news.smh.com.au/business/west-wo … -3t5f.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/au … ia.russia4
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b … 499863.ece

just a couple of related articles.  hopefully this will all blow over but knowing Russia, Ukraine is probably the next target. I dont think they are up to anything good for Europe.

13 (edited by rimini 2008-08-12 16:44:34)

I personally think we are hotting up for WWIII!!!!

Of course it's all about securing energy - iraq, georgia etc etc etc

and what's Britain doing? Sitting on the fence doing sweet f.a!

Shades of the late 1930s - it's on the cards - Global conflict - we were safer during the cold war!

Funkbox wrote:

hopefully this will all blow over but knowing Russia, Ukraine is probably the next target. I dont think they are up to anything good for Europe.

Yes, we will eat your children. Western media hype on the Evil Empire is hilarious to me...

lärm macht spass!

My philosophy instructor used to say that philosophers should be in charge of running governments of the world. I'm thinking it's not such a bad idea. But who knows how it'll actually play out in reality.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

According to Putin:
South Ossetia independence... OK
Kosovo independence... Not OK
Chechenia independence... Not OK

Double standards ?

this conflict is an old affair.
South Ossetia is pro-russian, it's the reason why Putin sustain them.

18 (edited by neferos 2008-08-12 19:08:49)

statiq was talking about Putin's politic not about european opinions about independance of ex-russian republics

but i see what you mean. (edit)

19 (edited by neferos 2008-08-12 19:11:34)

me too then...

i call up a friend yesterday, his wife is from georgia.. he told me she and their son is in tiflis.. what a luck she is quite ok and fly back to germany today.

Every Friday Night We Dress In Black

georgia should think realistically and give up

your bigg european media outlets are presenting this in a way Russia is the aggressor here. Total bullshit in this situation. I am not saying they don't have any interests, but give me a break, Saakashvili is not a monster only because he got EU support. been there, seen that with how  EU "supports democaracy" here in Belarus.

Bush legalised with Iraq what Putin did in Georgia (only Saakashvili was provoked into attacking first). and since Kosovo was given sovereignety, South-Ossetia will now get it too. Putin is just using the same tactics as the west.

deutschmark wrote:
Funkbox wrote:

hopefully this will all blow over but knowing Russia, Ukraine is probably the next target. I dont think they are up to anything good for Europe.

Yes, we will eat your children. Western media hype on the Evil Empire is hilarious to me...

ditto.

it's a complex issue that i've got my opinions about, can't really be bothered jumping in and getting tedious with it on here though.

Aren't the russians going to get their asses kicked like in Chechenia by bearded savage sheepherders with borz machine guns???