Topic: An Open Letter To 'Anti-Digital Deejays'

Dear 'Anti-Digital Deejays'

Digital deejays do not lessen what wax deejays do/have done for the art; They build off of it. Make it more accessible, easier to understand, more simply executed, etc. I'm just not sure how making something less difficult makes something less valuable in the long run?? I would ask you, (on the other side of the argument) what is turntablism's future otherwise without new platforms or formats? Do we really think technology shouldn't help us along and make our lives and our passions less difficult? I mean really. Deejaying is, afterall, is just 'playing music for other people' at its core. Its same same outcome either way; A bunch of songs you want others to hear, mixed together. The thing is some people put on a show but most dont. That is represented on both sides of the issue. My personal vision with deejaying is simply 'exposing people to new music because i think they will like it'.. I let my girlfriend be the 'deejay' in my car and she does great. She plays a good selection and always knows the parts to turn it up and what tracks to skip. smile The point is i think we (the deejays) are all taking ourselves a little too seriously here when we make this argument... Most of us are a small part of something much bigger.. Unless we are talking DMC stuff, i think most of us are on the same level here. So many of us are quite basic with our sets and just want to share our love for the music we enjoy with others! There is nothing wrong with that, right?! Some of my favorite mixes by other deejays were made in Ableton/Soundforge with ZERO controllers/turntables. But i think that each platform has its place in the future of deejaying. There will be innovations that come from both sides in the future.... I just feel like people who are pro-wax are too territorial and act as if the formats can't co-exist. They can. Natural selection within deejaying on either format will prevail.

Anyone who is even 'half way old' (like me) will have seen deejaying 'grow up' before our eyes. What a neat time to live in to see something we love progress as it has; And at such an amazing rate!! But in the grand scheme of things, this era for deejaying is just a small moment in time for what we will see it evolve into. I want to see deejaying move forward with wax and digital holding hands. If innovation continues at the rate its going, we may see another platform change in our life time. But imagine the change that comes 40-50 years into future when its lazers controlling decks, floating touchscreens, motion censors, drum machine suits and all sorts of other crazy futuristic shit!! Because im serious.... If this is as far as deejaying will ever advance, im disappointed and i quit.

Even when im retired I'll support anything that moves the art in new directions. Because i care about the art form and its development and not just my way of doing it. Now at the same time I might be a little pissed because im old and cant keep up with how insane it has become. (Although, by that time, I'm sure both wax-purists and digital deejays can complain together about how easy it is to use 'mind reading' que points)... I will, however, take interest in watching where it goes and take pride in the fact that i was there for a good chunk of the ride. Because really... There are generations ahead of us that are going to do shit we would have never thought was possible...

Lets stop proclaiming that wax is the Omega when its really the Alpha. Last time i checked, the innovators always make it in the history books so stop acting like we are taking deejaying away from you. We can share. I Promise.

Yours Truly, Johan

Re: An Open Letter To 'Anti-Digital Deejays'

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/This-cool-story-brought-to-you-by-BRO-INCORPORATED-388x500.jpg

its pretty much agreed that a needle hitting some vinyl sounds better than a digital simulation of a continuous waveform.

yeah boyeee

@dvsnme, theyre a dying breed (literally)

Sooooo, what do you think of mac vs pc?

tongue

small boobs vs. big boobs?
big_smile big_smile big_smile
a.

(I'm for big boobs, because more is always better. as someone once said)

we're trying to have a serious discussion here guys

(hairy pussy)

I've seen people being creative with digital platforms.

"Are you loving?"

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/Alpacas2BNPS_450x300.jpg

10 (edited by PHAEAX 2011-03-09 15:00:09)

cebteq wrote:

we're trying to have a serious discussion here guys

What's the discussion ???

Vinyl died allready many times, but still survives (and always will)...

Yes, there are digital platforms to make mixes, but that goes also for la ot of diciplines nowerdays composing, mastering, video editing, color-correction, photoshop and so on...

this 'discussion' is like 'Fryingpan vs Microwave' smile

There are multiple NEW (affordable) ways to gain several results. Some better, some worse.

Techniques evolve, and so are we.

If someone wants to ignore the new possibilities and only wants to mix with turntables, cut a reel to reel tape and master with some tube equipment... let them be.

The world is Fluffy!

Yes!!!! I'm on new medication!

11 (edited by cebteq 2011-03-09 17:59:17)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/112/271020887_b1e1143f54.jpg?v=0

i was only saying that theyre dying because of old age

^^ this poor guy has wrist problems from all the digging

13 (edited by Dez 2011-03-10 04:09:35)

eh

It's support for speed digging.  And with the help of those glasses and hat to ward off glare he can actually flip through an entire crate in 3 seconds.

15 (edited by like-a-kim 2011-03-10 13:32:07)

ronin wrote:

^^ this poor guy has wrist problems from all the digging

big_smile

16 (edited by Technicolor 2011-03-10 13:51:08)

It's the same for everything - things get industrialized and massproduced. MP3-dj:ing is just that, it's "effective" dj:ing available to "everyone". Just like in the case of everything else - shoes, cars, chocolate cake, furniture - There will be those who adore IKEA-like efficiency and low cost, and those who can't stand it and prefer the craftsmanship of specially ordered walk-in closets or whatever.

Edit: They're good for two different things, and have two different purposes, is what I'm going for.

17 (edited by black shape 2011-03-10 20:47:20)

+1
really didnt want to post in here after i read that letter but the very first line is wrong "how is making it easier making it less valuable" well thats obvious to anyone with any concept of value isnt it? hahah
but also u get guys like theo parrish, who tells u should charge an extra 30% if ur playing vinyl (hahaha) also using cds in their sets, so who gives a fuck, should really be the main question here.
who gives a fuck?

edit:only half my post came out first time

black shape wrote:

that could have been avoided had you used a pen and paper

ronin wrote:
black shape wrote:

that could have been avoided had you used a pen and paper

haha yea! all those years mastering my spelling, punctuation and grammar! spellcheck builds on that

dvsnme wrote:

Deejaying is, afterall, is just 'playing music for other people' at its core.

well that depends on how you look at it. For me it's also a form of making music. A collage of different sounds by two different records can change the musical impression to a total new direction.

But imagine the change that comes 40-50 years into future when its lazers controlling decks, floating touchscreens, motion censors, drum machine suits and all sorts of other crazy futuristic shit!! Because im serious.... If this is as far as deejaying will ever advance, im disappointed and i quit.

I might have not explained it in such a ridiculous way but i get your point nad agree. Automization doesn't mean that you can't work your way around it, and I totally believe that digital methods can turn djing into something else.

I might just not be called djing then anymore, but probably something else.

who gives a fuck, should really be the main question here.
who gives a fuck?

you don't need to be a forumbot who specialies to filter out on old-generation-my-love-for-vintage-is-extraordinary conservatism behaviour to know that a lot of people do. And taken the clichee that it has become aside, I still think it's interesting to think about the medium.
maybe the discussion is so old that it farts dust - but because this thread isn't from  3 years earlier everybody suddenly has to be like 'uuuuh dude we always had no problems with digital, why f#@$#@ bother??!'.

not really sure what you mean there score100, ur pissed off that noone is pissed off? or you think people have changed their minds? sorry, i'm sure i have that totally backwards!

23 (edited by score100 2011-03-11 18:34:23)

I find it weird how people are with new technologies at first like "uuh" and "this takes away all the fun, every idiot can use it" and a few years later theiy're either calm or using it themselves. or making fun of that very behaviour.

we cant expect for djs who have invested blood sweat and tears on collecting vinyl (some their whole lives!) to easily shift to the obviously more readily available resource for music (the internet.)  so really if anything they deserve our sympanthy not animosity:)

Well put Cebteq ;p As a vinyl nerd I have no reverse psychology to go to... 
Either way, do we really need another one of these threads?