Topic: Renting out your gear

Anyone ever do this at all?

I've got a friend who works for a studio and says some of the bands he works with want to rent some stuff. Since I don't have studio space at the mo and lots of my gear is in storage I was thinking it might be not a bad idea.

He's interested in my MS10, SH101 and 808. Any idea how much I should charge? Also, how can I ensure they're not going to get fucked up/stolen? These music types eh..  wink

I guess the thing to do would be to take a deposit for them beforehand or get some kind of insurance. Or maybe it's not worht the hassle and worry...

Re: Renting out your gear

Ian Martin got my Ebbe un Flute to pet for a while.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

Cool. Did you rent it out or just lend it to him?

Just lendt it to him.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

to be safe you would have to set yourself up as a legit business and draft contracts for lease.

then with every rental make a photocopy of their passport. would be a nice earner on the side but a little effort to set up.

Personally I wouldn't do it.  I lent a Juno 106 years ago to a so called friend who was working in a residential studio.  At some point they couldn't find the power lead so their in-house tech decided to take the synth apart and hard wire the power lead straight into the back.  He never offered to put it right and I'm no longer friends with him

Unless you know a good tech or are getting a lot of money for the hire I wouldn't risk it as you could lose your gear and possibly also lose you friend.

I'd say go for it, if you trust your friend. storage is a bigger threat to gear than musicians are.

You could rent yourself with the requested gear.. as a package

Mm, thanks for the ideas guys! I've been stressing a bit about it. To be honest he's kind of a new friend. Nice guy, but don't know if he's sketchy yet or not. Plus as you say, could cause a few problems, mixing business with pleasure etc.

I've got a good tech in London, but no-one yet here in Paris, where I've just moved. I think the only the way to do it without things being too dodgy would be to take a deposit for the current going rate for a replacement, ie 500 euros or so for the MS10 etc. That way, if I don't get it back or they fuck them up I'm covered.

But then how much to charge for the rental, I was thinking something like 50 euros a month per item or something. Also how do I get them to pay that? Upfront, paypal? It all seems pretty complicated really.

Www.studiohire.net

They list an MS10 for hire  plus lots of other vintage gear.

The deposit sounds like a good idea.  Maybe start off with the MS10 before hiring out the 808

I say don't do it: I have plenty of bad experiences with lending out gear..
And if you do it; better make some contract and tons of pictures to make sure you get it back in 100% the same shape as when the instruments left you..

TB or not TB

Thanks for the link Koova. I nearly bought some stuff of them a while ago, completely forgot about them... I think I'm not going to bother at the moment. Too much shit that can go wrong as you say Freek and probably not worth the hassle in the end. I'd rather have my gear in good shape than the extra cash I reckon. Cheers for the advice everyone!