Topic: WTB: Siel DK-80 / Expander 80

If anyone has either for a fair price, I'm in the market.

Thanks,

Revok

2 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2011-10-26 23:05:18)

Re: WTB: Siel DK-80 / Expander 80

Might also want to check the DK70 or Suzuki SX500 which are the same

if you type in SIEL DX or EX there are a bunch for sale here http://www.veilingkijker.nl

Actually...its a pretty wack synth imo. You might rather want to check out a Korg Poly 800 1/MK2 almost the same thing and pretty much easier and better and nicer (like memory that works, no weird adapter issues and I think the DK's dont have the cool stepsequencer the poly 800 has etc. but ofcourse the MIDI CC of the SIELs are better but then again who uses that anyways in 2011 AD)

3 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2011-10-27 10:11:26)

DK80 does have a sequencer. 
What sucks about the Siel's is those rubbery buttons, they're prone to wear and hard to fix. On mine the 'enter' knob is so worn, the synth is useless (cause you need that button  for pretty much everything). I guess I could have it fixed but... It is an okay synth but nothing to really 'want'. The osc have this weird wheezy whiny top edge sound that is too distinct and annoying. They're cheap but yeah... it's the weakest in the lowest budget range, which I think consists of the Poly800, Crumar Bit99 and Elka EK22.

yeah but its not a step sequencer if I remember its a realtime keyboard style one right?

Thanks guys, I already own a Suzuki SX-500 and have owned DK-80 so i know what I'm getting into. I'm looking for an extra one for a particular project. I might sell it again afterwards. I like them even though they sound brittle, wheezy and fuzzy. I recently hooked up my Suzuki to a midi controller and it gives the instrument a whole new dynamic and actually makes it fun to work with. Never used the internal sequencer though, I just hook it up to my MMT-8.

I remember reading somewhere that your "Eye that never Sleeps" EP was done mostly on a DK-80, Brian?

Yeah it was, mostly DK80 and DX100.

I just looked at the manual and indeed, it's no step sequencer, just a real time recorder.

You see them pop up on dutch synthforum from time time to time (you're Belgian, aren't you?). Your best bet is to place a wanted add there and bump it every now and then. Good luck finding one!

I like that EP, especially the B side.

Apparently the fools on synthforum think a DK-80 is worth 150€ these days.
In that case I better rethink my project with a couple of Alpha Junos.

Never mind. I got an Alpha juno instead  cool

think iv got 3 of them lying around, didnt use them for months.... batterie needs a change think i paid 100 eacht u can buy m from me for the same price. well you can buy one selling all i would regret so if your intressed you can mail  ocmer23@gmail.com ill for the one that looks the best.

think all tree have the suzuki label but maybe on one of them changed te sticker for a siel sticker but it shure is the suzuki version.l.... a hell i ll hear from you if you want one

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

ProjectGenocide wrote:

think iv got 3 of them lying around, didnt use them for months.... batterie needs a change think i paid 100 eacht u can buy m from me for the same price. well you can buy one selling all i would regret so if your intressed you can mail  ocmer23@gmail.com ill for the one that looks the best.

think all tree have the suzuki label but maybe on one of them changed te sticker for a siel sticker but it shure is the suzuki version.l.... a hell i ll hear from you if you want one

ok..... never mind see your dont need the anymore anyway tongue

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

11 (edited by DenDer 2012-02-07 12:41:17)

Okee to get a fairy tale out of thwe world....the EX80 and SX500 are indeed the same but they are not like the half of a DK80.  The circuitry around the SSM2045 is completly different in the EX and SX. In the DK80 the 2 pole mode and VCA section isn't used at all. This is different in the EX and SX, they do use the 2 pole mode and VCA section of the SSM chip.
btw it's easy to get an audio in on the VCF. Add a jack and 30k resistor in series and connect this to pin 2 of the SSM.