Topic: What Cassette Recorder to get?

So for now i've given up getting a Revox B77, too expensive to find in good condition and without the need for repair.

So I thought i'd try the cassette route instead, the recent Legowelt album sounds wonderful and inspired me.!

A quick eBay search threw up a lot of options so can anyone recommend a decent model?

So far these look good:
Nakamichi Dragon
Revox B 215
marantz cp-430
Tascam 122 MkII

Anyone familiar with any of those?

There is a huge range of Teac models too. I'm guessing anything around from the late eighties period would be cool.

Also what cassettes are generally considered to be the best to use.?

In a world where the dead are returning to life, 'trouble' loses much of its meaning.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Re: What Cassette Recorder to get?

recently i needed to digitalize few tapes.
i contact old local tape repair guy
he recommended the Nakamichi or Marantz (but he didn't have one)
i ended up with Yamaha KX-382, more cheaper, but in great condition and work fine.

yet i'm still looking for Nakamitchi

so you gonna record everything 2 track into the tape?

Yeah i'll definitely be going for a cheaper make than the Nakamitchi or Revox B 215, I just had a look on Ebay and they are listed for £800 - £1000. Thats pretty crazy that a cassette deck could still fetch that much money in 2012.  big_smile

In a world where the dead are returning to life, 'trouble' loses much of its meaning.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

type 2 (chrome) and type 4 (metal) cassettes are preferable for better recording quality, but apparently type 4 seems to wear out heads faster? not sure about this, but the manual for my fostex cassette multitrack strictly prohibits them for some reason. which doesn't really bother me since type 4 cassettes seem much harder to find.

Maybe here: http://www.audio-extasa.eu/cassette-dec … mp;sort=2a

E-Activity 004 out now: https://clone.nl/item29652.html

E-Activism

6 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2012-01-05 12:05:44)

Schmotlz, the Fostex isn't set up for type IV tapes, it requires a certain bias to erase the tape. A lot of the Teac's / Tascam also are not suited for metal, as well as any old (70s) deck. Head wear is more liekly cause of the roughness of the particles, it's like sandpaper. Metal tapes are also very expensive and hard to get nowadays, so you'd best stick to type II (Chrome). For producion, that's probably best anyway.

As for what deck: get on that's good. A badly maintained Nakamichi with worn heads can sound worse than a well maintained Teac. Look for headwear, and demagnetize the heads before testing (or during, just to see the huge difference it can make on badly maintained machines). There's a lot of high roll off on tape, and it get's worser and worser if the machine isn't clean and demagnetized, the sound gets duller and duller. Also you can wonder; what is a 'good' sound? A lot of what we appreciate in analog tape, is something most deck manufacturers tried to avoid (saturation and noise) with tape formulations and noise reduction. A deck that can record on different speeds like the Tascam 122 or Teac C3x (not the C3) is probably nicer.

just opened my pioneer cassette deck, and inside is a small pot that can change the speed of the deck alot (+-50% or so).
any idea to speed up the tape a little to get better sounding recordings (like on reel2reel machines)?
one thing that is also questioning is at what stage should i record stuff on tape? straight from my DAC without master limiting/compressing, or the final product that has already been pre-mastered.
all my old tapes that have cool sounding stuff in it is probably recorded from cd's and radio, and the tracks are therefore all mixed and mastered before i recorded them on tape. just thinking.... i have recorded stuff without compression now, but i just want another opinion.

Just record straight to tape, ghetto bedroom style  big_smile

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

I think try both ways and see for yourself, granted you have enough cassettes  yikes .

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvReNRq2CqE[/youtube]

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

so cute...  cool

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3543499/kasetti%20006.jpg

well now i have tape. my mailman just brought me a sixpack of basf!

Has anyone got a "Tascam 112 MKII", been offered one, any good for recording? Cant tell if it has more than one speed?

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

I don't think the 112mkII has it. The 122 did have it, but only on the mkI. Still, I personally wouldn't mind grabbing a 112 myself, even if it's just for having owned one. If the price is right, why not just get it? See what the Tascam (and cassette tape in general) does and then decide whether you'll keep it or not.

Ow I forgot, the 112 is a 2-head deck... I dunno, they always say 3-head is the way to go. I never used anything with a combined playback/record head so I can't say whether the difference is big or not.

Found some info on the net about Portishead using a 112 for their LP 'Third', not too sure how much truth is in that.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Well the guy wants £150, no idea what the going rate for a 112 mkII in good condition is?

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

The Portishead story can be true, as far as cassette recorders go the Tascam's have been a bit of a studio standard for a long time so chances are it was used for something by somebody.
Prices I don't know, 150 seems too much I could be wrong. I wouldn't pay much more than 100, 125 euro. Maybe 150 if it's in a really good shape. A 122 would go for more, no doubt. Have you checked ebay?

yeah not many around in Europe, few in the USA but too expensive.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com