Topic: MIDI headache

Looking for help here please, but beware, may / will contain stupidity:

Im using the kawai as a drum module sequenced in Logic. But I'm having some trouble panning stuff by sysex (which I believe should be possible) and would be very grateful for the help of a MIDI wizard please! I've not really tried to do anything this involved with MIDI before.

So, the Kawai is on my MIDI channel 12. My midi keyboard is triggering it fine but there are some weird discrepancies that I suspect are the root of the problem somehow.

- Firstly (this is good i suppose) all the sounds are mapped across my keyboard (m-audio radium 49 usb -> logic ->soundcard MIDI port 1 etc). Some of the same sounds are repeated, and some are repeated with different tunings  across quite a few octaves. Some have some panning, most don't. They seemingly don't correspond with the mapping / order in the "MIDI in commands" section in the kawai's menu, in fact they're pretty random. No idea why (bad!). In this menu these are key.no. 0-127 and any of the 23 sounds can be assigned to these keys i suppose - eg. key.no. 0: BD1 etc. Basically they never follow the order in  the menu when i move up the keyboard, not that fussed really but confused.

- Secondly, if i play say a clap off the kawai's drum pad having set the panning hard left in the kawai's menu, and then find the note triggering the same sound on my keyboard there is no panning. Again, no idea why this is happening.

So, I went to the midi data format section of the manual pg 83 here and referred to the parameter change section:

http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/OM/MODULE~1/R100.PDF

...created and inserted a sysex message in logic [ F0 40 0C 10 02 01 00 74 01 ] at the start of my MIDI region. Its a tambourine sound, I want to pan it. but having no joy at all.

F0 - sysex start

40 - kawai id

0C - channel 12 (http://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-decima … erter.html

10 - parameter change

02 - drum machine group

01 - r-100 id

00 - sub status multi mode parameter

74 - parameter number [74 = 01110100 where mode 3(binary: 11) is pan) and instrument no. is 20 (binary 10100)]

01 - value (left to right 0-15)

Cant see where ive gone wrong here, but chances are im being very stupid which is often the case. If anyone has the patience or generosity to provide any pointers that'd be fantastic  big_smile

Cheers.

Pat