Topic: discogs increasing fees.. greedy motherfuckers

those bastards are getting rich on users efforts.. off course they should make some profit but this is ridiculous imo:

Marketplace Fee & Invoicing Changes - May 1, 2012
sent by Discogs on 28-Mar-12 11:16 AM
To enable the hiring of additional staff and improve our level of service to you, we're going to be increasing Marketplace selling fees effective May 1st, 2012.

Items sold on or after that date will have the following fees:

8% for Standard Listings
10% for Product Search Listings

(a $0.10 minimum fee will remain in place)
Invoices sent on or after May 1st, 2012 will now be due 10 days after the invoice date.

Increasing fees is something we try to do as infrequently and with as much notice as possible. Our last fee increase was almost 3 years ago in July 2009. As a result we've made a number of significant improvements to Discogs:

grew our team from 4 people to 9 people
delivered over 1,300 features and bug fixes
increased conversion rate in the Marketplace by more than 84%
more than doubled the number of servers, making the site faster and more reliable
This fee increase will allow us to:

bring on additional software developers, so that we can add additional features
hire a customer support rep based in Europe, so that we can respond to requests in a more timely manner, and in multiple languages
improve our marketing efforts, to increase site awareness and expand our user base
continue investing in new hardware to keep Discogs fast and stable
We sincerely thank you for choosing to sell on Discogs and we look forward to your continued success.

TB or not TB

Re: discogs increasing fees.. greedy motherfuckers

so goes that

Vlam Aan

I was part of the very first moderators of Discogs. I spent a lot of my time building the site (for free of course). It's sad to see it turn into this (10 % wtf?). When they first started charging for sales, they even charged me for a few sales from the past. Illegal as fuck. Kevin Lewandowski must be making a nice buck now.

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

I'm afraid 'a nice buck' is an understatement  hmm

maybe you should send them a bill like they did with you.. claim whats yours..

But seriously, this is not OK

Klart wrote:

I was part of the very first moderators of Discogs. I spent a lot of my time building the site (for free of course). It's sad to see it turn into this (10 % wtf?). When they first started charging for sales, they even charged me for a few sales from the past. Illegal as fuck. Kevin Lewandowski must be making a nice buck now.

TB or not TB

kuczera wrote:

so goes that

the whole truth in 3 words

"A Real Music Hater"

i imagine more people will just go to ebay if theres no difference in the % that they take.

i'd be very interested in knowing how much the site made in the last year.

just read that on my discogs messages, fuckin sucks !! what they're talking about 10% for Product Search Listings ?? don't get that ?!

noctambulo wrote:

just read that on my discogs messages, fuckin sucks !! what they're talking about 10% for Product Search Listings ?? don't get that ?!

Wouldn't mind knowing myself
Surely they dont mean for browsing their site/release's?

noctambulo wrote:

http://www.discogs.com/marketplace

10 (edited by plikestechno 2012-03-29 22:30:27)

Don't like it, don't use it. Don't like it, go start up your own website. Don't like it, go use GEMM or Ebay. Are you going to take your records down and sell somewhere else? No. They know that and that's why they did the increase.

I'm fine with another 2%. I list piece by piece so mine's only 8%. I love the new way of listing piece by piece. So fast.

Yeah it's an obvious greedy money grab seeing as they're probably making more than they've ever made and the way the notice reads is pretty over the top and insulting like they absolutely have to do this increase or they'll go under or something. I imagine this will be the last increase for a long time. Anything over 10% will look too ugly for most users, especially casual ones.

I don't think of and don't care how much they're making. I think of how much money they've made me over the years, which is a lot, and am thankful for that. Being in a small city in Canada my records and CDs are worthless where I live. No store would buy them here even for $1 each now so I am thankful that I am able to sell online all over the world for top dollar. And how much cheaper is it to sell online than if you had to open your own store.

But this is 2012. Everybody thinks they are entitled to something for nothing. Movies, music, services, everything.

It's by far the easiest to use. I refuse to use Ebay anymore for small items and GEMM was such a pain in the ass to buy records from, I imagine selling is probably a nightmare too.

But by all means, keep pissing into the wind. Discogs, Ebay, Paypal. None of them give a crap. Go somewhere else if you don't like it.

Hey Freek, how about you go give away your SDS3s in the street? How about you mail me one for free?

No? Then you are just being greedy motherfucker too.

11 (edited by plikestechno 2012-03-29 22:27:55)

Klart wrote:

This is kind of bullshit though. You helped build the place and I'm sure they're making money hand over fist now. If I were you I would send them an invoice!

The average discogs user/seller like myself is however owed nothing and should stop whining about the increase.

12 (edited by plikestechno 2012-03-29 22:37:14)

cloud9 wrote:

i imagine more people will just go to ebay if theres no difference in the % that they take.

i'd be very interested in knowing how much the site made in the last year.

Ebay is a complete nightmare for listing and selling CDs and LPs. Haven't done it in years. I wouldn't even list there if they took no money off. And their buyer protection policies have made me not list there unless I absolutely have to. And only larger gear.

As far as the second point goes it's nobody's business what Discogs makes.

plikestechno wrote:

Hey Freek, how about you go give away your SDS3s in the street? How about you mail me one for free?

No? Then you are just being greedy motherfucker too.

are you serious, what kind of comparison is this, give you a SDS3? I bought my first for 275 from a friend (half the price he paid) because we are friends and he stopped making music and I still have loads of fun with it, he's happy with that. Why should I give one away, Im not even thinking about selling.. This doesn't make any sense at all, maybe you are jealous because I have a friend who gave me this great opportunity?!

My point is that they are making big money with a weak excuse (why give one at all if you apparently don't need one according to you) And Im OK with the discogs people making money, like any normal business.. But if it's only business they should pay contributors as well, or the people who help build the place like Klart.. 10% is out of balance imo and in the end record collectors will pay the price..

and you think I'm a greedy motherfucker? Call me an idealist but in my opinion this kind of mentality is the same as bankers who think they deserve bonuses (on top) for doing nothing more than they did before..

TB or not TB

14 (edited by plikestechno 2012-03-30 01:40:53)

My point in a nutshell is that unless you are willing to put your posessions into the street you are just like Discogs and everyone else. I am tired of western world liberals trying to impose this philsophy that there are different levels of greed. In other parts of the world people are much more transparent, honest and have less fake guilt about it.

It's like the guy in my neighborhood who runs a non-profit for homeless people with donations and federal government assistance but lives in a half million dollar house and looks down on anyone that works on the oilfields or in a bank or anyone with conservative views. As if he is less greedy or more pious than anyone working in the private sector. I don't like conservatives but at least they are honest about who they are. Everyone in the western world is in the same boat. Some people are just lying to themselves.

The whining here about Discogs fees and everywhere else on the price of rare records or vintage synths is because people feel outraged at the audacity of others to take more money from them that they would use to by more stuff. They are being cheap and miserly. Everyone wants something for nothing because that would leave them more money to buy more stuff.

Who is being greedy now?

And speaking of the SDS3, I just use it as an example, why didn't you insist on paying more money to your friend so he could at least get what he paid for it?

I just feel insulted by the Discogs message because it makes it seems like they are starving martyrs. And the thing with Klart is bullshit, especially making him pay fees on old sales and not offering anything once they became successful.

I would have preferred a message that says.

"We are raising fees to 8 and 10 % because we can and we feel like it and we know you'll do nothing about it because you like selling here. And if you don't like it, we don't care. Go somewhere else."

That's how I like my communications. Not full of idealism and bullshit. I got over myself a long time ago.

I'm fine thanks, I wish you good luck re-selling synths on eBay   lol

plikestechno wrote:

My point in a nutshell is that unless you are willing to put your posessions into the street you are just like Discogs and everyone else. I am tired of western world liberals trying to impose this philsophy that there are different levels of greed. In other parts of the world people are much more transparent, honest and have less fake guilt about it.

It's like the guy in my neighborhood who runs a non-profit for homeless people with donations and federal government assistance but lives in a half million dollar house and looks down on anyone that works on the oilfields or in a bank or anyone with conservative views. As if he is less greedy or more pious than anyone working in the private sector. I don't like conservatives but at least they are honest about who they are. Everyone in the western world is in the same boat. Some people are just lying to themselves.

The whining here about Discogs fees and everywhere else on the price of rare records or vintage synths is because people feel outraged at the audacity of others to take more money from them that they would use to by more stuff. They are being cheap and miserly. Everyone wants something for nothing because that would leave them more money to buy more stuff.

Who is being greedy now?

And speaking of the SDS3, I just use it as an example, why didn't you insist on paying more money to your friend so he could at least get what he paid for it?

I just feel insulted by the Discogs message because it makes it seems like they are starving martyrs. And the thing with Klart is bullshit, especially making him pay fees on old sales and not offering anything once they became successful.

I would have preferred a message that says.

"We are raising fees to 8 and 10 % because we can and we feel like it and we know you'll do nothing about it because you like selling here. And if you don't like it, we don't care. Go somewhere else."

That's how I like my communications. Not full of idealism and bullshit. I got over myself a long time ago.

TB or not TB

Truth be told I haven't sold a piece of gear on Ebay in almost a year and want to keep my favorites that i have left. Anything I've sold recently has bee through forums. My GAS levels are much lower than a few years ago so mostly I just sell records on discogs now and save up. I'd have more gear if those evil bastards had lower fees!  lol

like I said I'm fine and we made our points although we apparently don't agree, no need for more negative BS and there was no need for my eBay remark. So one more time; good luck and enjoy the music!  smile

plikestechno wrote:

Truth be told I haven't sold a piece of gear on Ebay in almost a year and want to keep my favorites that i have left. Anything I've sold recently has bee through forums. My GAS levels are much lower than a few years ago so mostly I just sell records on discogs now and save up. I'd have more gear if those evil bastards had lower fees!  lol

TB or not TB

oh c'mon guys, it was starting to get fun!

"A Real Music Hater"

hete kolen op het vuur, hete kolen op het vuur.. eh

Vlam Aan

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIMMONS-SDS-3 … 500wt_1159

TB or not TB

so goes that

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

oh c'mon guys, it was starting to get fun!

TB or not TB

Well, technically you have given me a SDS3 for free.  tongue

How to proceed from here is up to me. Will be interested to see where it ends up at.

I'm finally almost done digging myself out of Serge debt, not sure if I feel like SDS3 debt. Not interested in selling. Everything I have now I want to keep.

plikestechno wrote:

Well, technically you have given me a SDS3 for free.  tongue

big_smile 

plikestechno wrote:

How to proceed from here is up to me. Will be interested to see where it ends up at.

I'm finally almost done digging myself out of Serge debt, not sure if I feel like SDS3 debt. Not interested in selling. Everything I have now I want to keep.

they are pretty rare (around 200 build) and don't see them often for sale (1 in 2 years or so), still pretty unknown so maybe with a bit of luck.. You only have to find someone in the UK because the seller doesn't ship international.. This one looks great and has the original drumpads which are not always included..

they are worth every penny imo and it keeps surprising me every time because the SDS3 is a monster.. my technician told me it has Moog filters if Im correct.. good luck!

TB or not TB

if at least now they'd stop showing advertisements...

advertisements never really bothered me. I only don't like 'pop-ups' and too many animated gifs...

JamesTRubotnik wrote:

if at least now they'd stop showing advertisements...

TB or not TB