Topic: Vietnam

I'm going to Vietnam over the summer for 2-3 weeks and will be staying in Ho Chi Minh for the majority of the time probably. Any bots been to the Vietnam? I will be going with a friend who's Vietnamese and has been before but I am looking to go anywhere and everywhere and experience just about everything possible ( I don't think he's been outside of the main cities) so if anyone's got some good tips if they've been before i would definitely appreciate it and it would make my trip even greater. If no one has been then I will try and document a bit of the trip and will do my best to help any future travelers on their way to the Vietnams!

Re: Vietnam

Dont Get off the Boat !

My best friend is Vietnamese. When she went back at Christmas she went into the mountains to Sa Pa where the hill tribes live (Montagnards). The area is very pretty and the people are interesting. They hired a motor bike and drove to the hot springs, but be aware that this is not as easy as it sounds - they were told the trip was an half hour drive, it took two and a half hours and they had to cross a river! It's another twenty minute walk once you get to the town that has the springs. Make sure you leave early if you go, if you get stuck driving at night there are no lights on the road.
The other cool place is Nha Trang. They have mud baths (go for a whole day) and I think there is a weird almost abandoned amusement park with a zoo.

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

Very cool! I was looking up Sa Pa yesterday and i'm definitely going to spend some time there, it looks absolutely beautiful. I've heard the people there are very nice as well? I will do some research on Nha Trang today. A weird abandoned amusement park sounds so awesome. Thank you San!!

No problem big_smile If you have any specific questions I'll ask her for you. Also, Vietnamese food is fantastic - probably my favourite Asian cuisine along with Japanese. Eat lots of pho (pronounced fur), a spicy and sour soup and banh xeo - Vietnamese pancakes. Yum.

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

Thanks for the extra tips!! I was/am in need of some good food tips mainly because i am vegetarian and i have heard there is just lots of meat over there (mice, snakes, dogs..etc) hehe and pho is great there is a lot of that in los angeles here but banh xeo vietnamese pancakes sound delicious right now as well haha. I will let you know if I have any specific questions as the date of my departure becomes closer and my research is more complete. Thanks again.

7 (edited by pablodiscobar 2009-04-28 08:28:57)

I cycled from Hanoi to Siem Reap couple of months ago, my 2 cents:

Ditch the package tours and rent a push/motorbike for a couple of days to go deep into the Mekong delta. While you're at it consider going to Pnomh Penh (maybe by boat), visa on arrival is easy, it's an amazing city, very different from Nam.

If you got money to spend a flight to Dao Phu Quoc could be worthy, do some research first.

Up north you go, Mui Ne is where the surf is but check the windguru first if you want waves. Nha Trang is the cheapest place on earth to get a diving certificate + it's got tons of drunken Brits wrecking havoc in the nightlife, fun place. After that I highly recommend going in to the mountains towards Dalat, there's nothing to do at the coastline, you go back east for Hoi An, very touristy but a must see because A) it's got Cham temples very close by, recommended if you haven't been to Cambodia yet and B) here you can buy a tailor made suit for 85 USD. My advice would be to go straight to Hanoi after that, I can assure you there's very little noteworthy in between. Hanoi speaks for itself. Halong Bay is very beautiful though overcrowded, I still kick myself for not going. Take a train to Sapa for the great outdoors and then you should be out of time: Sapa - HCMC will take at least 30 hours by bus if you do it in one take assuming you exit the country through Saigon.

Vietnam is cool.

PS for Pnomh Penh you need a multiple entry visa to get back in Nam

pablodiscobar wrote:

I cycled from Hanoi to Siem Reap couple of months ago, my 2 cents:

Ditch the package tours and rent a push/motorbike for a couple of days to go deep into the Mekong delta. While you're at it consider going to Pnomh Penh (maybe by boat), visa on arrival is easy, it's an amazing city, very different from Nam.

If you got money to spend a flight to Dao Phu Quoc could be worthy, do some research first.

Up north you go, Mui Ne is where the surf is but check the windguru first if you want waves. Nha Trang is the cheapest place on earth to get a diving certificate + it's got tons of drunken Brits wrecking havoc in the nightlife, fun place. After that I highly recommend going in to the mountains towards Dalat, there's nothing to do at the coastline, you go back east for Hoi An, very touristy but a must see because A) it's got Cham temples very close by, recommended if you haven't been to Cambodia yet and B) here you can buy a tailor made suit for 85 USD. My advice would be to go straight to Hanoi after that, I can assure you there's very little noteworthy in between. Hanoi speaks for itself. Halong Bay is very beautiful though overcrowded, I still kick myself for not going. Take a train to Sapa for the great outdoors and then you should be out of time: Sapa - HCMC will take at least 30 hours by bus if you do it in one take assuming you exit the country through Saigon.

Vietnam is cool.

PS for Pnomh Penh you need a multiple entry visa to get back in Nam

Never got the chance to thank you for the great advice pablodiscobar. I am here in Vietnam at the very moment and

have gone to two of the places you have recommended (referred to..) Da Lat and Nha Trang. I am having a great

time here.  Nha Trang contains probably the most beautiful beaches in the world or at least the most beautiful beach I

have experienced in my life and I have been to Hawaii and live in California (both having inferior beaches to Nha

Trang).  I'm staying in Saigon for the remainder of my time so I was and am not able to continue my travels north of

here to Sa Pa or Hanoi, unfortunately. Nevertheless, this is one of the best vacations I have had the opportunity to

experience and I am lucky enough to have the chance to continue to vacation here as my friends have just currently

purchased a condo in Nha Trang about 5-10 mins from the beach in which I will have access to in the future. 

Tomorrow I am going to one of the few places that sells records and will see what i can find. I'm hoping I can get

some rare Vietnamese records. Very few people have the money to purchase a record player/turntable so the record

stores here are very few and far between. It's taken me almost my whole vacation in order to find a place that

actually sells records. The food here for a vegetarian has been amazing and amazing as this trip has been it is soon

coming to an end.  I'll share some pictures and hopefully some music once i am back on Monday of the 17th. Cya!

- Sam (cloud9)

nice thread, i'm also going to Vietnam in September...

cloud9, would you maybe care to share some infos on the record stores you found? would also love to bring some "souvenirs" smile

Hard to imagine what it all looked like straight after the country opened up again...
I don't think i'll ever forget biking to Ben Tre at sunset, the heat, the smells, being the only Westerner on a bicycle...

Good times.

hey everyone! sitting in Saigon at the moment and just thought id make a quick shout out to all. beautifull holiday till now... was in Bangkok for three days, then 9 days Cambodia... Siem Reap, Pnohm Penh, then Krachi and afterwards more to the north, province Rattankiri, to Banlung. from there we exited to Vietnam and went over Plei Ku to Saigon via Night Bus... really amazing here all the way. maybe more and pics when i get back.. have a good time everyone!

cheers, M.

Hi Echo

nice to hear that you enjoy your holiday.

Can

depress the repress

Echo,

this brings back melancholy travel memories!! Was in Banlung too, in 2004, stayed at that old rotting hotel on the eastern edge of town, close to the market. It felt really wild wild west. We flew in on one of thos old antonov planes from phnom penh. Did you also enjoy your stay?

right now alreaedy one the way home again.. standing here on dubai airport and waiting for our flight to munich.. J is asleep so i thought i go check the internetz.. after saigon we went to da lat, then mui ne, nha thrang, hoi an and then to hanoi. afterwards to sapa (really amazing!) and then back to hanoi for another night.. and last two days again bangkok..

mr. s: yeah i really enjoyed it... we had a great time.. but also some troubles.. e.g. they ripped us of at the cambodian border with some money exchange scam.. but wasnt that much money. and on the way back from sapa to hanoi with the sleeping bus someone stole julias camera .. fuck. and of course im again totally broke right now but it was worth it. i dont wanna go home yet.. but what you gonna do. but more when im back.. call me in two days or something.. i think i have to sleep for like 24 h when im back smile

hyboid: banlung was cool! really wild west feeling there you said it.. that big road in the middle and all the small and dusty streets around. we also stayed near the market.. but i forgot the name of the guesthouse. but it was ok.. nice room for 3 dollars a night. despite a big cockroach in the bathroom haha. went to look at some waterfalls with the motobike and to the yaek lom lake near by (hope i spelled it right 8) ), really beautifull.
and no we didnt come by plane.. we drove all the way with some local busses. the road from krachi to banlung was reallz funny, like 2 or 300 km unpaved road straight through the jungle. in a minibus that was made for maybe 8 people, but there were like 17 persons in it and a lot of luggage.. the whole roof of the bus was packed with stuff. we just waited that something comes down on the bumpy road but strangely it didnt

have to check for j again.. and maybe also get some sleep..

15 (edited by Echolot 2009-12-03 02:02:48)

just some random impressions from sapa, north vietnam that i happened to get in digital format today.
as one can see, very foggy & rainy that day but still nice

the black hmong:
http://www.discobots.net/tmp/Bild019_Neg.Nr.23.jpg
they invited us for dinner at their village:
http://www.discobots.net/tmp/Bild021_Neg.Nr.25.jpg
rice terraces & village
http://www.discobots.net/tmp/Bild022_Neg.Nr.27.jpg
http://www.discobots.net/tmp/Bild024_Neg.Nr.29.jpg
a bit of axis but i guess the woman that took the photo for us just didn't use a camera before smile
http://www.discobots.net/tmp/Bild025_Neg.Nr.29A.jpg

coooool pix

all that mist and fog has me hoping for a klaus weltman/franz falckenhaus team-up in vietnam.

cuties don't exert

thanks! those are from nearly the end of our trip.. we have like about 500 other pics but all on traditional film.. have to scan some other good ones sometime maybe

and yeah, would be a nice soundtrack for the area.. !